Thread: Army Eases Ban on Transgendered Soldiers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    There has always been bias; most of the original founders had opinions published in their day ... they weren’t wasn’t neutral.
    Yeah, with the exception of George Washington, who was nearly universally revered until later in life, the founders all endured pretty vicious attacks in the media, often from each other.

What I am getting at is my thought that in our modern era and pundits have gone much further than anytime in the past and are on often tying anything / everything to an agenda.
    I'm not sure that this is anything new.

Combine that with the far too often exposed confirmation bias despite the availability of information and ... well ... here we are.
    Yes, I think consuming media requires critical reading/watching/listening....detecting bias and apply a grain of salt whether the source is something you want to hear or don't want to hear. We are lacking that, for sure, again, not sure it's ever been any different.

The 24/7 news cycle of cable news maybe highlights it differently...and it's easier to compare sources in real time responding to the same input....but I think the ideal of the 'objective reporting' of facts is and pretty much always has been a myth. The media was created to advance political agendas and has probably always been used for it.

I can't say that it is much further than anytime in the past...I think most of what people declare today as the "worst in history" "most attacked in history", etc....are just kind of ignorant of history, tbh
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 06-09-2019 at 05:45 PM.
    The Voice of Reason