Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embassy security told to leave guns behind???1

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Embassy security told to leave guns behind???1

I was told elsewhere, that the marine security force at the Yemini embassy who were recently evacuated with everyone else, were told to leave their weapons behind? How the F is that legal?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    As an update, the crew served weapons were destroyed by the Marines taking out the bolts, then sledge hammers were used on the bolts, then the weapons were further made inoperable by the use of sledge hammers upon the barrels.

The Marines withdrew, taking their personally carried firearms with them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Don't ever let the facts get in the way of a good outrage, Garhkal. "I was told" indeed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Due to differing reports, it is hard to figure out what happened. The prevailing new news stories have the Marines indeed destroying all crew served weapons at the embassy, and when ready to depart from the airport, that they destroyed the bolts and the barrels of their personal weapons, using sledge hammers. No weapons went from the Marines into the hands of the Houthi rebels.

Of course, tomorrow, we may hear that the Marines gladly gave the rebels some really old M16s, and told them that they never needed to clean them.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    As an update, the crew served weapons were destroyed by the Marines taking out the bolts, then sledge hammers were used on the bolts, then the weapons were further made inoperable by the use of sledge hammers upon the barrels.

So why were they told to destroy them, wasting tax payer money rather than take them with them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So why were they told to destroy them, wasting tax payer money rather than take them with them?
    Crew served weapons are heavy & bulky and depending on transport etc. there may not have been room or lift capability.

If you are talking about an M240 that is one thing to lug around by one person an M2, a MK19 or a mortar ... is a totally different kind of weapon.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I was told elsewhere, that the marine security force at the Yemini embassy who were recently evacuated with everyone else, were told to leave their weapons behind? How the F is that legal?
    Damn, garhkal, you really look for things to get mad about!
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well this looks like another rousing foreign policy success!!!

At the very least we should have left the embassy building littered with claymores and other booby traps to welcome anybody that enters inside.
    The state tends to expand in proportion to its means of existence and to live beyond its means, and these are, in the last analysis, nothing but the substance of the people. Woe to the people that cannot limit the sphere of action of the state! Freedom, private enterprise, wealth, happiness, independence, personal dignity, all vanish. - Frederic Bastiat

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Mjölnir ,

I always thought that mortars should be shoulder fired weapons, anyway. About that, from hearing what firing a Japanese WW2 knee mortar by placing it on your knee really did to American knees, that happened because the Americans didn't use Japanese knees to fire them from.

With the new armor worn by Marines, shoulder firing should be rather easy to do! That is, if the shoulder IS protected, and the Marine weighs in at 500 pounds, to deal with the recoil. I hear that 120mm mortars have a lot of kick!

From what I recall, didn't mortars use from 1 to 4 increments (firing charges)? What if the Marines use duct tape to reinforce the mortar tube? Couldn't they use up to 10 increments?

Or maybe saw around the mortar tube almost all the way through, camo the saw marks with some wood putty and paint, and just leave it laying around like an easter egg, and let the enemy find out what trying to use American weapons can do.

Leave a 240, also. Place a doctored up VERY high explosive round in the chamber, and let the ISIS find out what hilarious fun trying to fire a sabotaged weapon can be!

I can see it now. On ISIS's Funniest Home Videos! Let's all watch an ISIS member find out how easy it can be to get to paradise sooner than expected!

Can a person get to paradise with the head blown off, though?

MitchellJD1969, I like your kindly thought. Maybe we could paint each and every ball bearing that will be our welcome to the embassy with the saying, "Howdy! Have fun trying to find the blown off parts of your body! Love, The Marines."

I know, it's hard to write that much on a ball bearing, but as we all know, a successful greeting depends on the presentation!
    Last edited by UncaRastus; 02-13-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post

Isn't this standard procedure with all emergency evacuations? In Finance, our regulations actually state the various methods to destroy currency during an evacuation and how to document it. Obviously, currency is a different situation because it can always be re-printed.

Maybe I'm an idiot (strong possibility) but I assumed every other career field would treat their tools the same way. If you can't take it with you then you destroy it. Is that not the case? Or is Garhkal just really confused?
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 02-13-2015 at 05:36 PM.