Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke university to start Muslim call to prayer in Jan 15.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    This is precisely why I'm waiting for the day that a Muslim or other religion prayer is said at a military function...because Christians will be outraged much like they were at this. I've yet to see a military base that does not have a church within 2 miles of the gate...so, for them to make prayer part of official functions...there must be an agenda, right?

Duke University is a private institution, to my knowledge, and naturally are free to do what they want, within the law and reason, of course. What is it the conservatives like to say? "Attending Duke University is a privilege, not a right, no one is forced to go there."

Seriously though...I disagree with them having Muslim prayer time on Fridays...I don't know if it was a liberal or conservative's idea to do it. For all I know it was a Christian Chaplain's idea who had an agenda to let them do that so he could do a Christian one on Monday...it's conceivable.

As someone who doesn't want Muslim or Christian prayer broadcast...I don't know what that makes me...

but, I think if someone is against Muslim prayer, but in favor of Christian prayer, or vice versa...that's probably where the hypocrites lie, and it's not the atheists...no more do I want a pronouncement that there is no God broadcast every Friday.
    MM, I am little confused as to why you quoted my post as most of the last part of your post intimates that I am somehow one of those Christians who balk at the prayer calls and 1. I am not, merely question the true motivation and 2. I am not a very good Christian. I believe that was asserted in an earlier thread.

You (or someone else) brought up this Muslim prayer at a military function before and I will repeat what I said then...I have been present at such an event. BCT graduation at Fort Jackson in October 2010. The Chaplin was an Imam and offered a Muslim prayer as the beginning and end of the ceremony. I didn't hear a single murmur. I am not saying it wouldn't happen but that is just my personal experience.

I strongly agree with you about where the hypocrisy would lie in the scenario you describe

Was the balking of prayers on Friday a joke?
    Last edited by TJMAC77SP; 01-20-2015 at 03:48 AM.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Plus if its a chapel, why is IT being allowed to be used for other religions?

If they are 'such a private org', why do they take in so much tax dollars from the govt?
    I don't know what money Duke gets from the US government but if any I imagine it is along the lines of most private universities. I don't see the problem with using the chapel for non-Christian services. My question had more to do with the question (or questions) why now and why there, when there an alternative available.

For the record Jewish services are held in the Freeman Center. Hindu and Buddhist share a space in the Bryan Center

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    MM, I am little confused as to why you quoted my post as most of the last part of your post intimates that I am somehow one of those Christians who balk at the prayer calls and 1. I am not, merely question the true motivation and 2. I am not a very good Christian. I believe that was asserted in an earlier thread.

You (or someone else) brought up this Muslim prayer at a military function before and I will repeat what I said then...I have been present at such an event. BCT graduation at Fort Jackson in October 2010. The Chaplin was an Imam and offered a Muslim prayer as the beginning and end of the ceremony. I didn't hear a single murmur. I am not saying it wouldn't happen but that is just my personal experience.

I strongly agree with you about where the hypocrisy would lie in the scenario you describe

Was the balking of prayers on Friday a joke?
    Just the immediate paragraph was replying to you...I.e. "If Muslims pray in a combined space when there is a mosque nearby, "there must be an agenda". When Christians do, it's just tradition."

The rest was just general commentary.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Plus if its a chapel, why is IT being allowed to be used for other religions?

If they are 'such a private org', why do they take in so much tax dollars from the govt?
    ...because they have the largest medical research dept in the country...something the govt finds is a worthwhile thing to invest in. They compete for those grants...and doesn't make them a govt institution.

Duke also gets more business donations for medical research than any other university...does that make them a corporate university?

Not sure what your point is really....if you want Duke to observe separation of church and state because they won some federal grants, I'm okay with that...are you going to insist Christian orgs and universities do the same? How about actual govt institutions?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    The Duke chapel was built to worship Jesus Christ. There's nothing hypocritical about the Alumni expecting it to be used for its stated purpose.

Straight from the Duke University Charter.

"The aims of Duke University are to assert a faith in the eternal union of knowledge and religion set forth in the teachings and character of Jesus Christ, the Son of God; to advance learning in all lines of truth; to defend scholarship against all false notions and ideals; to develop a Christian love of freedom and truth; to promote a sincere spirit of tolerance; to discourage all partisan and sectarian strife; and to render the largest permanent service to the individual, the state, the nation, and the church. Unto these ends shall the affairs of this University always be administered.”

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/u...s-aims-mission

Muhammadeans should go establish their own private university. Thee Allahu Akbar State University at Dearborn. Surely it would be a pillar of Academic Excellence and tolerance.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just the immediate paragraph was replying to you...I.e. "If Muslims pray in a combined space when there is a mosque nearby, "there must be an agenda". When Christians do, it's just tradition."

The rest was just general commentary.
    If Christians were to attempt to hold services in a mosque when there was a church less than 2 miles away I would say they possibly had an agenda as well and it wouldn't be tradition. Is there a specific incident you are basing your claim on or just your opinion based on your overall opinion of Christians

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Muhammadeans should go establish their own private university. Thee Allahu Akbar State University at Dearborn. Surely it would be a pillar of Academic Excellence and tolerance.

As nice of an idea as that sounds, some idiots would protest against it and then burn it down which would start riots. Of course, most of those idiots would be from the West Borough Baptist Church with signs saying "They're trying to steal our Jesus".
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Duke chapel was built to worship Jesus Christ. There's nothing hypocritical about the Alumni expecting it to be used for its stated purpose.

Straight from the Duke University Charter.

"The aims of Duke University are to assert a faith in the eternal union of knowledge and religion set forth in the teachings and character of Jesus Christ, the Son of God; to advance learning in all lines of truth; to defend scholarship against all false notions and ideals; to develop a Christian love of freedom and truth; to promote a sincere spirit of tolerance; to discourage all partisan and sectarian strife; and to render the largest permanent service to the individual, the state, the nation, and the church. Unto these ends shall the affairs of this University always be administered.”

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/u...s-aims-mission

Funny...you link to an article showing your quoted stated purpose is an old one that has since been changed.

Your 'character' has run its course and I'm no longer going to waste my time with people playing characters.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Funny...you link to an article showing your quoted stated purpose is an old one that has since been changed.

Your 'character' has run its course and I'm no longer going to waste my time with people playing characters.
    What ?? the link came off the Duke Website. The chapel was built to worship Jesus Christ. That was the purpose. You disagree??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Chapel

Along the left wall, the University's benefactors—Washington Duke and his two sons, James B. Duke and Benjamin N. Duke—are entombed in three 30-ton, white Carrara marble sarcophagi carved by Charles Keck. Over the altar are three limewood figures: Jesus stands in the center, with St. Paul on the left and St. Peter on the right. A boss with the Duke family coat of arms graces the ceiling

UMM...That's Jesus Christ in the Center Skippy. Not the "Profit" Mohammed or Karl Marx. Sorry, You got your little secular panties in a bunch But, it's true.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-20-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What ?? The chapel was built to worship Jesus Christ. That was the purpose. You disagree?
    Was...

Didn't you see the "stated purpose" has changed?
    Along the left wall, the University's benefactors—Washington Duke and his two sons, James B. Duke and Benjamin N. Duke—are entombed in three 30-ton, white Carrara marble sarcophagi carved by Charles Keck. Over the altar are three limewood figures: Jesus stands in the center, with St. Paul on the left and St. Peter on the right. A boss with the Duke family coat of arms graces the ceiling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Chapel

That's Jesus Christ in the Center. Not the Profit Mohammed or Karl Marx. Sorry, You got your little secular panties in a bunch But, it's true.

ahhh...the insult on masculinity....last desperate attempt of a dying troll.