Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement advice.....GO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Retirement advice.....GO.

I punched the button. Last duty day is in October. Can't believe it is so close.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Insert clever quote here...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    I punched the button. Last duty day is in October. Can't believe it is so close.
    Congratulations and Welcome to the dark side. We've been waiting for you.......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If you plan to make a claim with the VA, get your medical records now. All of it. Even print out all the lab work. Nothing is insignificant.

Find the VA Center in your area. They will make copies of everything - that's what they are there for. Get them to assist in writing up the claim - they what it is supposed to look like. It is one of those forms that is easy to make a mistake on. Claims with mistakes go into one pile. Claims that can be processed quickly are processed quickly - that brings up the monthly claims metric.

Take full advantage of the transition briefings (by law, you must be allowed to attend).

To echo Rainmaker... welcome aboard. It only gets better!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Get your VA stuff started ASAP. Make copies of everything, even if you don't think it's relevant. And the final piece of advice is CHILL. The stuff they are going to bug you about between now and then just doesn't matter. And that first day you wake up after your retirement ceremony will be one of the happiest days of your life.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    If you plan to make a claim with the VA, get your medical records now. All of it. Even print out all the lab work. Nothing is insignificant.

Find the VA Center in your area. They will make copies of everything - that's what they are there for. Get them to assist in writing up the claim - they what it is supposed to look like. It is one of those forms that is easy to make a mistake on. Claims with mistakes go into one pile. Claims that can be processed quickly are processed quickly - that brings up the monthly claims metric.

Take full advantage of the transition briefings (by law, you must be allowed to attend).

To echo Rainmaker... welcome aboard. It only gets better!
    Damn...should have submitted quicker so it didn't look like I was copying you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Concerning the advice about you medical records, I concur. You can request the hospital/clinic to make a copy of your records and they'll do it. I'd suggest you have it done no later than a month before you retire or your terminal leave. Also, if you have any medical or dental procedures needed do it now.

Take advantage of the Transition Assistance Program even if you've already got a job lined up.

When you process through personnel, double check your DD Form 214 and records to make sure they are accurate. I found an error on my records stating I completed maintenance training on jets which was wrong because my entire career was in the medical field.

Don't be surprised if you visit your old shop or friends still on active duty and see their attitude towards you changed. You're not retired and they're not.

Go luck and enjoy your retirement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Where are you planning to retire?
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Damn...should have submitted quicker so it didn't look like I was copying you.
    No worries - besides lessons learned from retiring are best repeated. And to continue with what YOU posted...

The stuff between now and then truly does not matter. You may feel the pressure to ensure that your job will be accomplished after you are gone, but guess what? People retire every day and the military keeps on running. You may be missed, and you may miss some things, but bottom line: you need to worry about yourself and your family now. The AF can worry about how your void will be filled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Congratulations

I suggest you get this shirt and wear it around

The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hop on in, the water is warm and the sun is shining bright. Like others said, bring your papers with you plus any receipts you may have saved in your junk draw. You'd be surprised what you can claim on your taxes as a business expense during your term of service (even if you have already got compensated for it by the military).
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll