Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 157

Thread: Navy Bootcamp Mulls No Longer Shaving Recruits' Heads

  1. #1
    Senior Member BURAWSKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Navy Bootcamp Mulls No Longer Shaving Recruits' Heads

    http://www.navytimes.com/story/milit...navy/21439483/

    This is something that I think should be seriously weighed before implementing. I am betting this action is being contemplated because a survey was given to the recruits indicating whether or not they desired to have their hair shaved. I am betting the overwhelming response to that question was no. Boot Camp is becoming too soft I believe. Part of the idea is to acclimate new recruits to a different way of life and stopping the haircuts doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Also, this smacks of the inmates running the asylum.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,876
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    http://www.navytimes.com/story/milit...navy/21439483/

    This is something that I think should be seriously weighed before implementing. I am betting this action is being contemplated because a survey was given to the recruits indicating whether or not they desired to have their hair shaved. I am betting the overwhelming response to that question was no. Boot Camp is becoming too soft I believe. Part of the idea is to acclimate new recruits to a different way of life and stopping the haircuts doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Also, this smacks of the inmates running the asylum.
    This will be great for all the Gender confused cross-dressers they're planning to recruit. The real question to ask is Will all these new she males still have to shave their pussies?

  3. #3
    Member 360BHR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    http://www.navytimes.com/story/milit...navy/21439483/

    This is something that I think should be seriously weighed before implementing. I am betting this action is being contemplated because a survey was given to the recruits indicating whether or not they desired to have their hair shaved. I am betting the overwhelming response to that question was no. Boot Camp is becoming too soft I believe. Part of the idea is to acclimate new recruits to a different way of life and stopping the haircuts doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Also, this smacks of the inmates running the asylum.
    I'm not saying I'm for or against this, but how is allowing male recruits to not be subjected to shaved heads any different than allowing female recruits to keep their longer hair as long as it is 'in regs'?

    The original reason for shaving recruit's heads was for sanitary reasons, in order to prevent infestation of lice. It later became the custom for male recruits in order to make them all 'uniform' in appearance while the military was still all male. Why not make females shave their heads too?

  4. #4
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,983
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 360BHR View Post
    I'm not saying I'm for or against this, but how is allowing male recruits to not be subjected to shaved heads any different than allowing female recruits to keep their longer hair as long as it is 'in regs'?

    The original reason for shaving recruit's heads was for sanitary reasons, in order to prevent infestation of lice. It later became the custom for male recruits in order to make them all 'uniform' in appearance while the military was still all male. Why not make females shave their heads too?
    I started to agree with you, then changed my mind. Men are men and women are women. I think I like the fact that, as much as it's pushed on us that we are all "equal" and the same that the regs continue to show that people don't really believe that.

    On one hand it pisses me off that women have it easier (hair regs, PT standards, etc) but on the other hand I believe that men are generally the stronger, more dominant sex and that we have different roles than women do. Allowing women to keep their hair is about the only thing that keeps them looking remotely female in the military. I've really got no issues with it. I also don't think they should be required to be as strong, as fast, as physically capable, because they just aren't.

    Having said that, they should be kept in jobs where the physical part isn't necessary. If they want the more "dominant" role then they should have to meet the same standards.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,876
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 360BHR View Post
    I'm not saying I'm for or against this, but how is allowing male recruits to not be subjected to shaved heads any different than allowing female recruits to keep their longer hair as long as it is 'in regs'?

    The original reason for shaving recruit's heads was for sanitary reasons, in order to prevent infestation of lice. It later became the custom for male recruits in order to make them all 'uniform' in appearance while the military was still all male. Why not make females shave their heads too?
    Hell, Why not? Gender is just a social construct anyway. They should castrate the males while they're at it. It'll solve all these uncomfortable date rape problems. FORWARD TO THE ARMY of EUNUCHS!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,876
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I started to agree with you, then changed my mind. Men are men and women are women. I think I like the fact that, as much as it's pushed on us that we are all "equal" and the same that the regs continue to show that people don't really believe that.

    On one hand it pisses me off that women have it easier (hair regs, PT standards, etc) but on the other hand I believe that men are generally the stronger, more dominant sex and that we have different roles than women do. Allowing women to keep their hair is about the only thing that keeps them looking remotely female in the military. I've really got no issues with it. I also don't think they should be required to be as strong, as fast, as physically capable, because they just aren't.

    Having said that, they should be kept in jobs where the physical part isn't necessary. If they want the more "dominant" role then they should have to meet the same standards.
    Physical Standards are sexist and obsolete. Corn rows is our greatest strength!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-08-2015 at 08:44 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,299
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 360BHR View Post
    I'm not saying I'm for or against this, but how is allowing male recruits to not be subjected to shaved heads any different than allowing female recruits to keep their longer hair as long as it is 'in regs'?

    The original reason for shaving recruit's heads was for sanitary reasons, in order to prevent infestation of lice. It later became the custom for male recruits in order to make them all 'uniform' in appearance while the military was still all male. Why not make females shave their heads too?
    That's something i always hated.. Why women were allowed a full head of hair.

  8. #8
    Member 360BHR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I started to agree with you, then changed my mind. Men are men and women are women. I think I like the fact that, as much as it's pushed on us that we are all "equal" and the same that the regs continue to show that people don't really believe that.

    On one hand it pisses me off that women have it easier (hair regs, PT standards, etc) but on the other hand I believe that men are generally the stronger, more dominant sex and that we have different roles than women do. Allowing women to keep their hair is about the only thing that keeps them looking remotely female in the military. I've really got no issues with it. I also don't think they should be required to be as strong, as fast, as physically capable, because they just aren't.

    Having said that, they should be kept in jobs where the physical part isn't necessary. If they want the more "dominant" role then they should have to meet the same standards.
    It isn't that I believe females should have their heads shaved during basic, I honestly don't think that is reasonable. There isn't a sanitary need for shaving heads in this day and age, therefore I do believe it is reasonable that males should be allowed to keep their hair as long as it's within regs.

  9. #9
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,983
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 360BHR View Post
    It isn't that I believe females should have their heads shaved during basic, I honestly don't think that is reasonable. There isn't a sanitary need for shaving heads in this day and age, therefore I do believe it is reasonable that males should be allowed to keep their hair as long as it's within regs.
    Honestly I think it's about the ease of shaving for the "barbers" than anything else anymore.

  10. #10
    Member 360BHR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Honestly I think it's about the ease of shaving for the "barbers" than anything else anymore.
    Valid point. I suppose it would also mean more trips to the barber during boot to keep hair within regs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •