Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy Bootcamp Mulls No Longer Shaving Recruits' Heads

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    I knew that! Just filling in the gray area for the reason.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well to paraphrase another person who feels exactly the same way I do about this:

Stan Basford · Patapsco High School and Center for the Arts

Part of the reason for the 1/8 inch haircut was to have all recruits look the same , all part of the training so that the become one and the same and work as a team , something that most at the time of their entering basic training have NO CLUE what working as a team means , I feel it is, and will be a big mistake if that is taken off the table ! In my Navy we were told what to do and when to do it and that was just the way it was , none of this stress card , you don't have to get a haircut if you don't want one crap , it worked just fine then so stop trying to fix what's not broken , if it works leave it alone and fix what needs to be fixed ! We are suppose to be getting trained for war and life on a WARSHIP !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stress cards (at least the common interpretation of what they were/are) are a myth.

Recruits were given cards about who they could talk to about stress etc. But, contrary to legend were never an instant 'time out.'
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 01-11-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Stress cards (at least the common interpretation of what they were/are) is a myth.

Recruits were given cards about who they could talk to about stress etc. But, contrary to legend were never an instant 'time out.'
    Wait, if that's what they are for, doesn't that mean they are just replacing the recruits' ability to remember where they can go to talk to someone? If so, that mean their instructors fail to make the point. Are we really adding more to the recruits' load because the instructors can't train their recruits right?

Side note: Regardless of what they tell you, it's better to blame the teacher than the student. The teacher should, at a bare minimum, be able to know many ways to teach a student. A teacher that doesn't isn't adaptive or creative. Applied to the military mind-set, this person would have been dead. Where Patton to slap these people at?
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think I am far from that.
    I think you're being called to task. Be a man and step up already before I do it. "Please don't make me do stuff."
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Easier, you ever seen a woman with long hair put her hair up? I think males have it easier in that regard.

As far as physical standards, they are generally built differently. I don't expect my 4 year old to carry the same load I do for the same reason/logic. On that note though, I once had my platoon (all men) run the female Physical Fitness Test; everyone did great on the run and situps, but the flexed arm hang (female norm) in lieu of doing pull ups (male norm) kicked everyone's ass.
    Were both the men and women doing the same test? Or were the women doing their hang there test while the men did pull ups?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Were both the men and women doing the same test? Or were the women doing their hang there test while the men did pull ups?
    All males no females in the platoon. The arm hang was not as easy as they thought.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If men have to get their heads shaved, then women should, too. If the rationale for women not getting shaved (har har) is that they don't have to do that "in the fleet," then men should only be required to get an "in-regs" haircut. Shouldn't have it both ways. Either everyone needs to be "broken down" and stripped of their individuality or no one does.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    If men have to get their heads shaved, then women should, too. If the rationale for women not getting shaved (har har) is that they don't have to do that "in the fleet," then men should only be required to get an "in-regs" haircut. Shouldn't have it both ways. Either everyone needs to be "broken down" and stripped of their individuality or no one does.
    This is the Progressive Liberal mindset... a world were perceived "equality and fairness" trumps reason, decency and common-sense.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-10-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    All males no females in the platoon. The arm hang was not as easy as they thought.
    In High school Rainmaker dated a gymnast that could do 30+. It was quite humbling for a young buck the first time she challenged me to a pullup contest