Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community Guidelines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Community Guidelines

I would like to remind everyone that the Community Guidelines are the rules of the road.

From the What Pisses me Off thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    The mods banning just about every half-prolific poster left on the Military Times Forum. I think I heard a death rattle.
    Rusty and AA were both recently temporarily banned for again violating different aspects of the community guidelines.

-Sexually graphic imagery (think NSFW) is not okay on MTF, period. Imagery need not show gentalia to not be appropriate.

-Continually disrupting each and every thread is not okay. Posts designed to instigate or disrupt discussions or that contain offensive material may be removed, along with other messages posted in response. Please don't use obscene or offensive language, hate speech or engage in personal attacks of other members. Repeated instances of such harassment and disruption may result in a revocation of posting privileges (banning).

I agree, both RJ & AA are very prolific posters and them being temporarily banned will make the boards a bit more quiet. Not something I nor @UncaRastus nor @Bourne want. At the same time, for the effort to 'mod-hate' because a rule was enforced, there is also little effort for 'self-regulation' when threads are dsirupted etc. A review of the threads in the last several months will show that moderation is way down and several topics have gotten very heated but stayed within the Guidelines, that is all that is asked. You can be civil and not be insulting, vulgar or disruptive. If a user wishes a more graphic forum there are many out there.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I would like to remind everyone that the Community Guidelines are the rules of the road.

From the What Pisses me Off thread:

Rusty and AA were both recently temporarily banned for again violating different aspects of the community guidelines.

-Sexually graphic imagery (think NSFW) is not okay on MTF, period. Imagery need not show gentalia to not be appropriate.

-Continually disrupting each and every thread is not okay. Posts designed to instigate or disrupt discussions or that contain offensive material may be removed, along with other messages posted in response. Please don't use obscene or offensive language, hate speech or engage in personal attacks of other members. Repeated instances of such harassment and disruption may result in a revocation of posting privileges (banning).

I agree, both RJ & AA are very prolific posters and them being temporarily banned will make the boards a bit more quiet. Not something I nor @UncaRastus nor @Bourne want. At the same time, for the effort to 'mod-hate' because a rule was enforced, there is also little effort for 'self-regulation' when threads are dsirupted etc. A review of the threads in the last several months will show that moderation is way down and several topics have gotten very heated but stayed within the Guidelines, that is all that is asked. You can be civil and not be insulting, vulgar or disruptive. If a user wishes a more graphic forum there are many out there.
    Can I point out that AA did nothing different than he has been doing for the last 6 months, on a daily basis. So what was the difference this time and, if there was nothing different, why did the ban take so long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Can I point out that AA did nothing different than he has been doing for the last 6 months, on a daily basis. So what was the difference this time and, if there was nothing different, why did the ban take so long?
    This was pretty much a cumulative effect. I nor @UncaRastus nor @Bourne have a desire to ban anyone. With the exception of spam IPers or truly egregious behavior there is not an insta-ban mentality but rather we do take efforts to let folks know that they are violating the Guidelines and an opportunity to correct course. I have sent private messages to users in the past asking to tone down or dial back the conversation at times. The intent is not to have insta-bans be the norm, the intent is to look at the comments, look at the context and at times a subjective (judgement) call is made that a thread is going awry. No thread stays pure to the original topic, I don't expect them too. Purposely turning every thread into a personal back and forth between users and derailing legit conversations is disrupting though.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rainmaker feel for the most part the mods are very fair. But, The rules are ambiguous and often confusing, so, In an effort to help his fellow posters If I may, here's a couple helpful hints that Rainmaker has learned thru 4+ years of trial and error....

You can say anything you want positive or negative about Jesus Christ or Christians in general..... However, The following words are considered "hate speech" and "race baiting" (Regardless of context). ....Detroit, Haiti and Israelification, Transtesticals and the word Kosher {NOTE TO SUPERMODERATOR: words are used here for educational purposes only}....

Also, the President is to be referred to as the Commander in Chief or simply POTUS and under no circumstance is he to be referred to as "His Excellency The Reverand, Doctor, Barack Hussein,Barry Soetero, Obola (Peace be upon Him)"

Please feel free to add to this list, so we will have a running tab of what we're allowed to say and not say....
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-13-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    You can say "That's a douche bag move" but you cannot call someone a DB.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    You can say "That's a douche bag move" but you cannot call someone a DB.
    You have to use tact, for example, in the movie Billy Madison.

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    These forums have all but crawled to a complete halt in activity. I know the mods are doing their jobs but at some point we've lost the bulk of the conversation, no matter the quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponsTSGT View Post
    This is just a guess.....but I'd be willing to bet that you can't brief the rapeyness out of a person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxc View Post
    These forums have all but crawled to a complete halt in activity. I know the mods are doing their jobs but at some point we've lost the bulk of the conversation, no matter the quality.
    Right now I would say it is coming in peaks and troughs -- has been doing this for a while.

This past weekend was very dead, the last couple of days have been lively.

I am on one forum that is specific to my field in the military that will go weeks with no posts, then erupt when there is an issue etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    You can say anything you want positive or negative about Jesus Christ or Christians in general..... However, The following words are considered "hate speech" and "race baiting" (Regardless of context). ....Detroit, Haiti and Israelification, Transtesticals and the word Kosher {NOTE TO SUPERMODERATOR: words are used here for educational purposes only}....
    I think if you are a Dallas Cowboys fan, discussion of fair officiating would get you too

Note: Supermoderator is a usergroup title associated with a level of access/permissions in the Forum software. Some of the usergroups are:

Banned Members
    Super Moderator
    Administrator

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I think if you are a Dallas Cowboys fan, discussion of fair officiating would get you too
    Indeed it would. With fair officiating, there wouldn't have been a controversy over Dez Bryant's catch because they would have been out of the playoffs one week earlier due to an inexplicably overturned pass interference call.