Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joining the Air Force at 17

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Yep...sucks making 68k a year, and having no stress, between retirement and a government job, with nothing more than a high school degree and a CCAF in my job. Not going to college killed me.
    News flash, 68K a year does suck.

It is nothing for a guy your age to brag about.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post

In your opinion, of course.

I'm very happy, living comfortably, enjoying life.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Again. It Depends on were you living. Up there in Balmer $68K might get you out of Polar bear hunting territory. In flyover country (were people still love Jesus) you'd be in tall Cotton. Nomsayin?
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 12-30-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    There's some value in it. Just not as much as there once was. I don't think a young kid would be disadvantaging himself whatsoever, by getting a 4 year enlistment under his belt first and then completing school and starting work at 25 or 26 (debt free instead of $50K in debt with no experience).

In my own case I hired on right off active duty as a GS-13 (Program Manager) with nothing but a HS. diploma and military experience. I did finish a BA after I retired and after 2 years into it, I got so fed up working for the feds and started brokering CRE deals.

Now, Most of the guys here do have some type of finance or Real estate degrees. But, NO ONE CARES about a degree. No one ever asked, me what my degree is in. All that's required to make money is that you have big brass balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0
    I certainly have seen this but it is the exception rather than the rule (in my experience). In fact during my time at Hanscom I had more than one senior GS civilian tell me that they could not hire someone above the GS-12 paygrade without a BS/BA. In any case I can't see the value diminishing over time. I hate to see young people squander chances.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Of course the "value" of college depends on what you want to do and what you study.

Going to a real college full-time is the best way to get a valuable degree
    - Engineering
    - Medicine
    - Law
    - Real business degree

These fields require college degrees.

Yes, a lot of us got degrees part time while in the military....they aint these kind of quality degrees, for the most part. We get "Engineering technology" (not a real engineering degree)...Occupational Education, Industrial Technology...or other sorts of "yeah, I got a degree" degrees...

When I say, go to college out of high school, I mean get a real quality degree...and you'll get way ahead in the long run. Yes, my AF enlisted career has been good to me...and led to a nice post-military career as well...but, guys I graduated HS with are surgeons, lawyers, CEOs, etc. I'd say their college paid off for them. I might still go in the military if I had to do it all over again, but I'd get my degree first and go commissioned...
    Good point. My degree is pretty useless outside of my field and quite frankly I didn't want to stay in this field when I retired.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The value of a college degree has not decreased. The nature of its value has simply changed. Once upon a time, a college degree put you ABOVE the competition. Now, it puts you IN the competition. Where does that leave you if you don't have one? Assed out.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Of course the "value" of college depends on what you want to do and what you study.

- Engineering
    - Medicine
    - Law
    - Real business degree

Yes, a lot of us got degrees part time while in the military....they aint these kind of quality degrees, for the most part. We get "Engineering technology" (not a real engineering degree)...Occupational Education, Industrial Technology...or other sorts of "yeah, I got a degree" degrees...

When I say, go to college out of high school, I mean get a real quality degree...and you'll get way ahead in the long run. Yes, my AF enlisted career has been good to me...and led to a nice post-military career as well...but, guys I graduated HS with are surgeons, lawyers, CEOs, etc. I'd say their college paid off for them. I might still go in the military if I had to do it all over again, but I'd get my degree first and go commissioned...
    Having a bachelor's degree in business with a concentration in HR, and an MBA... my suggestion is not to get a bachelor's in business. If someone wants a job in corporate America, I suggest getting a bachelor's degree in something else and a minor in business, and THEN getting an MBA. If, for example, you have a bachelor's degree in chemistry and you work for DuPont and THEN get an MBA; you'll move up the corporate ladder faster than someone with both a bachelor's and a master's in business (all other factors being equal, of course).

When choosing an undergrad major, the acronym to remember is STEM - science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 12-31-2014 at 01:19 AM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    In your opinion, of course.

I'm very happy, living comfortably, enjoying life.
    Good for you, but I am very comfortable saying that you are talking out of your ass when you tell a 17 year-old kid to blow off college.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Good for you, but I am very comfortable saying that you are talking out of your ass when you tell a 17 year-old kid to blow off college.
    What I'm telling him is to stay out of debt, not blow off college. What sense does it make to pay for college and owe money when you can get paid and go to college for free? You're pretty bright, sometimes. Yet you recommend going into debt before even having a job. And who's talking out of his ass?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

- Engineering
    - Medicine
    - Law
    - Real business degree

Soooo...What Are you saying? that Rainmaker's dual CCAFs and BS in General studies with a minor in Diversity Awareness from the UMUC on-line campus are overrated?
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 12-31-2014 at 03:10 AM.