Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Film, Left behind

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,328
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Film, Left behind

    So we get a slightly bigger box office budget for another "Rapture" based film, on top of the 3 other 'left behind films; Left behind (2000), Tribulation force (2002) and World at war (2005). Being i am not that religious, i actually found the first film decent (though the acting could have been a heck of a lot better), in fact it was a lot better imo than this most recent version with Nick Cage.

    But it brings up some interesting points.
    What would happen to all the world governments should the rapture happen?
    How many people would die in the aftermath with all those planes, cars and such crashing due to their drivers/pilots/operators just vanishing?
    Why was it in both versions, ALL kids seemed to be included, knowing how evil and spiteful many kids appear these days?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Have you ever wondered what will happen to all those Christian pets after the rapture?

    Well, I have!

    That's why I am proud to announce AA's post raputre pet sitting service. For a deposit of $5000 I promise to take care of your pets after the raputre.

    Don't worry about me getting raptured, because I am a certified blasphemer and couldn't possibly be raptured.

    Merry Christmas!
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,328
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Well talking about pet sitting services, you will no longer have homeless populations, as there will be plenty of houses now opening up for habitation. Along with new jobs!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Well talking about pet sitting services, you will no longer have homeless populations, as there will be plenty of houses now opening up for habitation. Along with new jobs!
    Unlike you, Jesus is cool with homeless people, so they are getting raptured straight into heaven with a priority of getting the very best mansions.

    Since I've studied the bible extensively, I think your best shot at getting one of the bigger and more laviously appointed heavenly mansions is to donate all your earthly possessions to the poor now.

    Give up everything! Give away all of your money and every possesion and go walk the earth as a child of Jesus.

    Jesus actually commanded you to do this, so if you've never heard of it, you'd better start reading the bible.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  5. #5
    Senior Member BENDER56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the beach, out of reach
    Posts
    561
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    But it brings up some interesting points.
    What would happen to all the world governments should the rapture happen?
    How many people would die in the aftermath with all those planes, cars and such crashing due to their drivers/pilots/operators just vanishing?
    Why was it in both versions, ALL kids seemed to be included, knowing how evil and spiteful many kids appear these days?
    Not sure what a post-rapture world full of miscreant, scumbag heathens like me would look like, but this guy wrote a finely detailed book about what would happen to the Earth if all of the people suddenly vanished. It's a bit of an environmentalist polemic, but if you can overlook that it's a fascinating read.

    http://www.worldwithoutus.com/index2.html
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Since I've studied the bible extensively, I think your best shot at getting one of the bigger and more laviously appointed heavenly mansions is to donate all your earthly possessions to the poor now.

    Give up everything! Give away all of your money and every possesion and go walk the earth as a child of Jesus.

    Jesus actually commanded you to do this, so if you've never heard of it, you'd better start reading the bible.
    What a test of faith that would be...it would be a lot easier to believe in the sincerity of people who did this sort of thing.

    10% tithe? Meh...that's more of a "social tax" that Church people pay to remain socially acceptable in the Evangelical Christian sub-culture while still being able to maintain their earthly possessions.

    That is some challenge you have laid down...this is very thought provoking for me even as a non-believer who was a believer in the past...this would have been an extremely difficult test of that faith, a real "put up or shut up" moment, if you will.

    Although snarky may have been your intent here...i think anyone with a desire to be "a good Christian" and who professes "true faith" would be shaken by this challenge.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 12-26-2014 at 04:58 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post


    That is some challenge you have laid down...this is very thought provoking for me even as a non-believer who was a believer in the past...this would have been an extremely difficult test of that faith, a real "put up or shut up" moment, if you will.

    Although snarky may have been your intent here...i think anyone with a desire to be "a good Christian" and who professes "true faith" would be shaken by this challenge.
    It isn't my challenge, those are the words of Jesus.

    Mark 10:21 New International Version (NIV)

    21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    It isn't my challenge, those are the words of Jesus.

    Mark 10:21 New International Version (NIV)

    21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
    Well, yeah, I know that...but, I mean who takes stuff like that seriously anymore?

    Jesus didn't mean in 2015 did he? He was talking to people who might have had to sell a few goats, not a 50 inch Visio 4K Ultra. Being a good Christian in 2015 is all about being small government and keeping the sin of gays from being considered acceptable.

    Okay...I got a little snarky on my own there...but when we talk about this verse nowadays, it "translates" to Jesus' true meaning as "it's okay to have stuff, just as long as you love God more than your stuff"...IOW, "As long as I say God is more important, I can keep my stuff." He doesn't really want you to prove it anymore because being successful isn't a sin.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 12-26-2014 at 05:37 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Well, yeah, I know that...but, I mean who takes stuff like that seriously anymore?

    Jesus didn't mean in 2015 did he? He was talking to people who might have had to sell a few goats, not a 50 inch Visio 4K Ultra. Being a good Christian in 2015 is all about being small government and keeping the sin of gays from being considered acceptable.

    Okay...I got a little snarky on my own there...but when we talk about this verse nowadays, it "translates" to Jesus' true meaning as "it's okay to have stuff, just as long as you love God more than your stuff"...IOW, "As long as I say God is more important, I can keep my stuff." He doesn't really want you to prove it anymore because being successful isn't a sin.
    How wrong you are. Read the entire passage and you will see you shouldn't keep your stuff, even in 2015.

    Mark 10:17-25 New International Version (NIV)

    17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

    18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[d]”

    20 “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

    21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

    22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

    23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”

    24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is[e] to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,328
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Though, with a god who lets famines, diseases, wars and the like run rampant, and does nothing to show he exists, is he really worthy of praise and devotion like that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •