Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 78

Thread: Film, Left behind

  1. #51
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As a reminder, from the Community Guidelines:

    Disruption
    You're welcome to voice your opinion here, and it would be a boring place if you didn't. But if you disagree with a comment that's been made, keep it civil. Posts designed to instigate or disrupt discussions or that contain offensive material may be removed, along with other messages posted in response. Please don't use obscene or offensive language, hate speech or engage in personal attacks of other members. Bashing services on branch-specific forums or any forum is not acceptable within our communities. Posts made with the intent to belittle, harass or otherwise disrupt a community will be removed. Repeated instances of such harassment and disruption may result in a revocation of posting privileges.

    Last edited by Mjölnir; 01-02-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  2. #52
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Which of us is mad now..................Bro
    You, bud. Because what you call "bullshit" - you know, the stuff that pisses you off - I've got plenty more of, and it won't stop until the mods end it.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  3. #53
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    You, bud. Because what you call "bullshit" - you know, the stuff that pisses you off - I've got plenty more of, and it won't stop until the mods end it.
    Very well.

    Last edited by Mjölnir; 01-02-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  4. #54
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    You, bud. Because what you call "bullshit" - you know, the stuff that pisses you off - I've got plenty more of, and it won't stop until the mods end it.
    You sound angry. Take a moment. Go have a smoke or a cup of coffee.

    BTW: Just to refresh your memory.

    http://forums.militarytimes.com/show...l=1#post349304
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  5. #55
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by E4RUMOR View Post
    I don't play the hypothetical in conversations like this.
    Yet here you are, joining in the conversation and asking specific questions. I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and assume that you meant to say, "I don't usually play in hypothetical conversations like this."


    Given the attributes and abilities of God, I think it's asinine for any individual with infinitesimally limited knowledge (of Human knowledge, let alone Supernatural knowledge) to declare their right to judge the God of the Universe. Since God created the Universe, and all in it, He alone possesses the right to do as He pleases with His creation, and is not subject to judgment from the very creation He brought into existence.
    It would appear that God does not share your opinion. Because here I am, along with millions of other atheists who make a judgement call on God.

    Not only that, you as his follower have already judged God worthy of being worshipped.

    Perhaps what you meant to say is he is not subject to our wrath.

    However, I think you might be talking about judging God in the sense of accusing him of being murderous, and a childish lunkhead.

    Hypothetically, I am doing just that. If he is real, and really is like what the Christian bible purports him to be, yes I judge him, and I openly rebel against him.

    I also rebel against Satan, and reject him and his nonsense too.

    I resent being created and forced into this squabble of theirs. I stand on neither side, and choose to create my own side.

    You go right ahead and drop to your knees and grovel, spout your sniveling prayers at his feet.

    I am going to fight both those bastards, neither one has earned my respect. I am not impressed by God's awesome power, and I really do not care if he squashes me on judgement day.

    Someone needs to shout at that big bully, and I am just the one to do it.

    Why don't you sack up? Grow a set of balls and quit kissing his feet. It seems to me that you are only impressed by God's power, and are willing to worship him on that alone.

    That is truly despicable in my book, and I doubt it gains you any admiration or respect from this all-powerful entity.

    If one takes into consideration God sees the "Big Picture", and we only see a miniscule portion of said picture, it truly is absurd to make a judgment call of the portrait without seeing it in its entirety. Furthermore, just because the whole picture is not made known to you does not mean it's a horrible portrait.
    I submit to you that you can see more of the big picture of the Christian God if you studied the bible and the history of the Christian Church. There is far more of the picture available to you, step back and look at it in context.

    If you did, you'd see that God is a creation of man. Man created God.

    However, since we're are speaking under the hypothesis that God created man, I say it is truly absurd to put your faith in Christianity, or any other faith based religion.

    Faith is not virtuous, far from it, faith is the exact opposite from having high moral standards.

    Worshiping a God that you admittedly know very little about, or can't truly understand is not something you should be proud of.

    You are in awe of his power, and you drop to your knees because of the promise of reward.

    That is truly despicable and weak.

    If a God did create you, he gave you a brain, he gave you courage, he gave you the power to question, and the power to learn.

    It is you that disrespects God by not using these gifts he gave you.

    By dropping to your knees so easily at the sound of a preacher's voice, and the words of ancient men, you truly disrespect God.

    You have never heard the voice of God, you have never read the undisputed word of God neither.

    You only dropped to your knees at the sound of the first preacher you encountered, you have not heard God speak.

    In your heart, you know this to be true, yet there you are groveling and praying to something that you (by your own admission) don't know the nature of.

    Faith is not a virtue, it is a sellout of your intelligence to the promise of reward.

    Are you so cowardly that you fear death so much that you'll listen to the promises of ancient folk lore?

    Conjecture is a failure as well - Just because the character and actions of God do not line up with what one thinks God should be and do does not merit dismissal of His existence completely. That's simply a case of personal preference. Frankly, it's a ridiculous notion, because everyone has a different preference.
    So your solution to this is to simply follow the first preacher that you encounter without question.

    When you find parts of these ancient texts hard to understand, what do you do? You blame your own inadequacies, then call yourself virtuous for having blind faith.

    Talk about ridiculous.

    Without evil, you wouldn't know what was righteous. Without pain, you wouldn't know well-being. Without sadness, you wouldn't know joy. All of the good you experience in life would simply be words without an emotional recognition and fulfillment behind them.
    Fair enough. Since there is no evil, pain, or sadness in the Christian heaven, then I guess heaven is a joyless place.

    You do know that the Hebrew God promised no heaven, right? You just lived your life, and that was it.

    The promise of heaven came about with the Christian Church. Your original God, the God of Moses and of Abraham made no such promises.

    Not all of God's chosen people converted to Christianity.

    Whoops, looks like you are going to have to make a judgement call on which "sacred word" of God to follow.

    The God of the universe doesn't need to prove His existence to His Creation or Mankind. We apparently have someone in this thread who has studied the Bible thoroughly and extensively. Perhaps he can explain Romans 1:20 to us.
    Romans 1:20 is a verse in a larger passage that runs from Romans 1:18-32; to fully comprehend 1:20, I recommend reading the entire passage.

    Here is 1:18-22, but I recommend reading the entire passage, this post is a bit too long with all of it included. But you can find the rest of it easily.


    Romans 1:18-22 New International Version (NIV)

    18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

    21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.



    Romans 1:20 at its simplest level makes the claim that God's power, nature, and even his "invisible qualities" are plain to see.

    In other words, look around and see his mighty power in everything, then bow down and glorify God because you have no excuse not to.

    Maybe those who read Job chapter 38 can glean a message from the God of the Universe. Even the fourth verse starts off quite forward: "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth? Tell me if you have understanding?"
    The book of Job is one of my favorites of the bible, chapter 38 is where God speaks to Job.

    I'd love to discuss the entire story of Job with you, but this post is getting incredibly long.

    Perhaps another time? I hope so, I love that story and just read it again.


    Everything God does is glorification to Himself. He is worthy of respect, glory, and honor. As your Creator, He afforded you the opportunity to be in existence. Even with the foreknowledge that some of you would hate Him till you breathe your last breath.

    Whether you like it or not, you are, in fact, playing by His rules, and ultimately He's going to come out on top. Anyone who says they are going to judge someone with the power and knowledge He possesses, and demand an explanation from Him, is in for a rude awakening. No, you'll be bowing before the Creator of the universe in fear and awe, confessing Jesus Christ is Lord.

    Many people overlook the message of salvation and the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross for redemption of sin. They focus on God and His righteous wrath, and yet dismiss the redemptive plan that saves us from it. It's not how they would do things, so in their mind, God is wrong. In their mind, God is at fault.
    With the story of Job fresh in my mind, I respond to your last thought with this.

    There is no God, but if I pretend the God of this ancient story is real, I choose to rebel and fight him.

    It does not matter if I loose, I defy him in the face of his wrath for I deem him unjust, and I resent him for dragging me into this game of his.

    I do not want to be his toy, I do not want to be made a servant of his. If I am so insignificant, then my respect and praise of him must also be insignificant.

    Job was a faithful servant of God.

    Yet God and Satan trifled with Job as if he were a plaything for their amusement.

    I don't care if you are the creator of the universe, you do not get my praise for doing shit like that to people.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  6. #56
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    So I am back to being a Christian?

    Great, another few pages and I won't be Christian enough. That thread was hilarious the first time but will probably one elicit a chuckle this time.

    The meme is funny but when it is posted ONLY to insult an MTF poster and to elicit an angry response it is trolling and bullshit........hence me saying so.
    I don't know why you are jumping on Rusty about that. I think it was me that accused you, SJ and a few others of not really being Christians.

    The reason I did so was because of the way you described how you practiced your faith. You admittedly reject whole parts of Christian doctrine, and don't go to church anymore.

    If I am remembering the same thread, I think I said you sounded more like a Deist than a Christian.

    If a person believes that God created the universe, but that he doesn't intervene in it anymore, then this is a very accurate assessment.

    If a person believes in Christ, but they no longer subscribe to a particular Christian denomination, then it is a little more difficult, to determine what they are. However, I have no doubt saying that there are entire legions of church going Christians that would readily denounce them as not true Christians.

    If I remember correctly, you are a non practicing Catholic. I would say that your status as a Christian would be called into question by many.

    I don't know why you are chuckling as if someone said something amusing, or even unusual. The entire Prodestant division of Christainity looks at you in disdain just for being Catholic.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  7. #57
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I don't know why you are jumping on Rusty about that. I think it was me that accused you, SJ and a few others of not really being Christians.

    The reason I did so was because of the way you described how you practiced your faith. You admittedly reject whole parts of Christian doctrine, and don't go to church anymore.

    If I am remembering the same thread, I think I said you sounded more like a Deist than a Christian.

    If a person believes that God created the universe, but that he doesn't intervene in it anymore, then this is a very accurate assessment.

    If a person believes in Christ, but they no longer subscribe to a particular Christian denomination, then it is a little more difficult, to determine what they are. However, I have no doubt saying that there are entire legions of church going Christians that would readily denounce them as not true Christians.

    If I remember correctly, you are a non practicing Catholic. I would say that your status as a Christian would be called into question by many.

    I don't know why you are chuckling as if someone said something amusing, or even unusual. The entire Prodestant division of Christainity looks at you in disdain just for being Catholic.
    Another Carnac the Magnificent moment.

    Couple of points. I wasn't 'jumping' on Rusty, merely pointing out his once again going into a corner which sounds absurd. Secondly, Rusty was involved in the beginning of the ludicrous discussion.

    I was chuckling (and I am pretty sure you know this) because I said at the beginning and repeatedly that I carry the title of Christian only as a vestige of my upbringing and in very few ways practice that religion, despite being labeled as such and even a vehement Christian when that label fits the narrative. I am fairly comfortable in stating that this is the position of a vast majority of Americans. Despite this you (and MM) wanted to tell me that I can't do this. That I am not Christian enough. Something which flies in the face of many comments I have received when it was perceived I was defending Christianity (although having stated time and time again I take no position on religion other than to defend the rights of others to practice their faith).

    What one denomination thinks of the other is in no way relevant to that discussion and is an obvious straw man argument since I have taken no position on the validity of any denomination of Christianity (or any religion for that matter) and it in no way reflects on the validity of me calling myself a Christian (which was the point of the original discussion).

    It was a fairly silly discussion then and would be again now.

    Again, I am pretty sure you know that.
    Last edited by TJMAC77SP; 01-02-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  8. #58
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Another Carnac the Magnificent moment.

    Couple of points. I wasn't 'jumping' on Rusty, merely pointing out his once again going into a corner which sounds absurd. Secondly, Rusty was involved in the beginning of the ludicrous discussion.

    I was chuckling (and I am pretty sure you know this) because I said at the beginning and repeatedly that I carry the title of Christian only as a vestige of my upbringing and in very little ways practice that religion, despite being labeled as such and even a vehement Christian when that label fits the narrative. I am fairly comfortable in stating that this is the position of a vast majority of Americans.

    What one denomination thinks of the other is in no way relevant to that discussion and is an obvious straw man argument since I have taken no position on the validity of any denomination of Christianity (or any religion for that matter).

    It was a fairly silly discussion then and would be again now.

    Again, I am pretty sure you know that.
    Then why even point it out three times in one day?

    You just admitted that you are vestigial Christian at best, so why is it absurd when someone else makes that observation?

    Plus, I don't see how that puts Rusty in a corner, all he did was post a picture of Jesus fucking Christ.

    Now, I'll agree with you that Rusty has some gay issues. It is very obvious that he has played with ladyboys on one of his port visits and is ashamed of it. That's why he wants to promote the idea that it is possible to be duped into having intercourse with one.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  9. #59
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Then why even point it out three times in one day?

    You just admitted that you are vestigial Christian at best, so why is it absurd when someone else makes that observation?

    Plus, I don't see how that puts Rusty in a corner, all he did was post a picture of Jesus fucking Christ.

    Now, I'll agree with you that Rusty has some gay issues. It is very obvious that he has played with ladyboys on one of his port visits and is ashamed of it. That's why he wants to promote the idea that it is possible to be duped into having intercourse with one.
    Point out what three times?

    Come on let's have a little honest back and forth here.

    Someone paints me with a brush as a diehard Christian. I state that isn't true and am (like countless others) a Christian pretty much in name only. Then there are multiple pages of why I shouldn't call myself a Christian (add to that no mention of the previous and repeated characterization of me being a diehard Christian). I see that as absurd. If I were arguing a validity of the faith or scriptures, fine, that would make sense. Otherwise, absurd.

    His meme has nothing to do with the corner he backed himself into. Rusty accused me of being angry for his posting, again, of the meme. The truth is that any anger (and again that is a big stretch of the definition of anger) was in his repeated attempt to simply anger Christians. It is lame and silly.....I told him so. He continues to declare how upset these posts make me with the intimation that I am upset because I am Christian, avoiding the truth which is that he is simply trolling. He has actually admitted that. Of course he does so in the manner of the 'tough street guy' that he likes to portray............Yeah I'm a troll, so what. I'll keep at it until I'm banned..........oh shit, I'm banned.

    As much as my posts seem to irk you (hence my Carnac comment) I feel more than that about Rusty's bullshit.

    While your response to E4RUMOR had some unnecessary snarky insulting language, you at least engaged in a discussion with actual thoughts and articulate thoughts at that.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Despite this you (and MM) wanted to tell me that I can't do this. That I am not Christian enough.
    I don't think I said you couldn't do that. I said I have a difficult time reconciling that position and when I asked if you could help me understand it, you declined.

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    His meme has nothing to do with the corner he backed himself into. Rusty accused me of being angry for his posting, again, of the meme. The truth is that any anger (and again that is a big stretch of the definition of anger) was in his repeated attempt to simply anger Christians. It is lame and silly.....I told him so. He continues to declare how upset these posts make me with the intimation that I am upset because I am Christian, avoiding the truth which is that he is simply trolling.
    I gotta be honest...even as a nonbeliever I found that meme pretty offensive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •