Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Film, Left behind

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Though, with a god who lets famines, diseases, wars and the like run rampant, and does nothing to show he exists, is he really worthy of praise and devotion like that?
    NO!

But people are generally too lazy or too afraid to contemplate how fucked up of a tyrant he is.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    NO!

But people are generally too lazy or too afraid to contemplate how fucked up of a tyrant he is.
    Well, now, if there really was living in heaven for eternity going on...then just about anything that happens here on Earth is so minutely miniscule, it really doesn't add up to much in the grand scheme of things...

...like sure you are a F'd up tyrant when you ground your kid for 2 weeks...but you realize in the long run he'll grow up a better more fulfilled and productive person with some discipline.

You're just not seeing the big picture.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So we get a slightly bigger box office budget for another "Rapture" based film, on top of the 3 other 'left behind films; Left behind (2000), Tribulation force (2002) and World at war (2005). Being i am not that religious, i actually found the first film decent (though the acting could have been a heck of a lot better), in fact it was a lot better imo than this most recent version with Nick Cage.

But it brings up some interesting points.
    What would happen to all the world governments should the rapture happen?
    How many people would die in the aftermath with all those planes, cars and such crashing due to their drivers/pilots/operators just vanishing?
    Why was it in both versions, ALL kids seemed to be included, knowing how evil and spiteful many kids appear these days?
    I read the books back on deployment a few years ago ... entertaining but as the books went on (definitely by the 4th one) the writing really waned, the story was drug out way too far into too many books.

The movies (2000, 2002, 2005) are in the "Meh" category. As you said, the first one was pretty good for a rental, the other two ...

As far as kids, kids are generally considered 'innocent' -- incapable of true sin -- until they reach the age of accountability a.k.a. coming of age and can make decisions ... not like "I want nuggets not a cheeseburger" kind of decision. In most western religions this is between 12 & 15, LDS doctrine puts the minimum age for baptism (child has to express desire to be baptized) at 8. Also, many religions consider mentally handicapped people whose mental capacity is childlike to be 'innocent'.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Well, now, if there really was living in heaven for eternity going on...then just about anything that happens here on Earth is so minutely miniscule, it really doesn't add up to much in the grand scheme of things...
    Then why are we judged for our actions in this incredibly short existence against the backdrop of eternity?

...like sure you are a F'd up tyrant when you ground your kid for 2 weeks...but you realize in the long run he'll grow up a better more fulfilled and productive person with some discipline.

You're just not seeing the big picture.
    Don't tempt me to crack open the Adam and Eve story. What a jerk he was for kicking them out of the Garden of Eden when it was all his fault to begin with.

They didn't know right from wrong before they ate from the tree, but yet he leaves this extremely dangerous tree in the garden.

If that was not bad enough, he let Satan go into the garden as a talking snake.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    It isn't my challenge, those are the words of Jesus.

Mark 10:21 New International Version (NIV)

21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
    Yep, he did say that...I guess you can look at that as a challenge to everyone, if you wish.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Then why are we judged for our actions in this incredibly short existence against the backdrop of eternity?

Don't tempt me to crack open the Adam and Eve story. What a jerk he was for kicking them out of the Garden of Eden when it was all his fault to begin with.

They didn't know right from wrong before they ate from the tree, but yet he leaves this extremely dangerous tree in the garden.

If that was not bad enough, he let Satan go into the garden as a talking snake.
    What they did know is that they were given EVERYTHING, except that one thing. Yet they weren't happy with having 99.99999% of the stuff.

"You can use my house. You can use everything in it, as much as you want. I'm more than happy to let you stay here as long as you wish, and you'll need nothing for the rest of your life. The only condition is that you do not touch the safe in the basement. That's off limits."

Too much to ask, I guess. If it was my house and they felt the need to touch the one thing I told you not to, you would have to GTFO too.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    What they did know is that they were given EVERYTHING, except that one thing. Yet they weren't happy with having 99.99999% of the stuff.

"You can use my house. You can use everything in it, as much as you want. I'm more than happy to let you stay here as long as you wish, and you'll need nothing for the rest of your life. The only condition is that you do not touch the safe in the basement. That's off limits."

Too much to ask, I guess. If it was my house and they felt the need to touch the one thing I told you not to, you would have to GTFO too.
    Crappy comparison.

Adam and Eve were innocent before eating from the tree of knowledge. They did not know right from wrong beforehand.

So God gets mad at them and punishes them?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Crappy comparison.

Adam and Eve were innocent before eating from the tree of knowledge. They did not know right from wrong beforehand.

So God gets mad at them and punishes them?
    Children are innocent and don't know the difference between right and wrong until the first time they get their but swatted when they do something they aren't supposed to.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Children are innocent and don't know the difference between right and wrong until the first time they get their but swatted when they do something they aren't supposed to.
    Again, crappy comparison.

God did not merely swat their butts.

He wasn't teaching them a lesson either, no, he was setting them up for the fall of man.

He blamed Adam and Eve for bringing sin into the world, corrupting the entire natural world, including human nature, causing all humans to be born into original sin.

All of humanity got their "butts swatted" because this perfect God of yours didn't have enough common sense to put a fence around a dangerous tree. Better yet, he could have just removed the tree.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Again, crappy comparison.

God did not merely swat their butts.

He wasn't teaching them a lesson either, no, he was setting them up for the fall of man.

He blamed Adam and Eve for bringing sin into the world, corrupting the entire natural world, including human nature, causing all humans to be born into original sin.

All of humanity got their "butts swatted" because this perfect God of yours didn't have enough common sense to put a fence around a dangerous tree. Better yet, he could have just removed the tree.
    ... or, not even made the tree to begin with.

Never much thought about it before (nor cared), but if God is truly omniscient and knows all that has happened in the past and everything that will come to pass, then he put the tree there with the full knowledge (Ha!) that those knuckleheaded humans would eat from it. (Rib-headed humans?)

Anyway, MM has a point -- the events of a single life out of the billions that have sullied this planet don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy universe. For all we know, there are trillions of planets just like Earth scattered throughout the universe and God's doing his damnedest to keep up with the goings-on in all of them. He's all like, "Earthquake, shmerthquake, just let 'em all in."
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin