Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyber Attack From North Korea

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    FBI is actually stating that North Korea did it.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/r...-against-sony/
    Yeah, it sure looks so. Like I said before, this may be the reason why they are trying so hard to prove that they didn't do it. They're trying to "force" the U.S. into a joint op to declare their "innocence". This may be because they know that if this constitute an act of aggression, China won't have their back. With that said, North Korea would be looking down the barrel of our guns and they won't come out of it without massive damage to their political and diplomatic relations with any of their allies. The only thing I'm waiting to see is if China tries to actually side with us due to the economic support that we provide their country. North Korea isn't exactly supporting China the way we are and are only willing to join them in the fight due to political and racial similarities.
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Granted, I'm sure that it would have been smart for a Sony Pictures executive to speak with a few people in the Executive Branch in order to prepare for whatever the outcome is upon release.
    I had read that Sony did consult the State Department about the script. I am actually a bit more surprised that someone from the Executive Office of the President at some point in the last week did not call Sony and ask what they were going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollyn01 View Post
    Yeah, it sure looks so. Like I said before, this may be the reason why they are trying so hard to prove that they didn't do it. They're trying to "force" the U.S. into a joint op to declare their "innocence".
    A joint investigation would be great for North Korea -- show us your sources and methods of how you know it was us. That would make it much easier to refine TTPs to be less detectable in the future. The offer to assist with the investigation is a pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Rollyn01 View Post
    This may be because they know that if this constitute an act of aggression, China won't have their back. With that said, North Korea would be looking down the barrel of our guns and they won't come out of it without massive damage to their political and diplomatic relations with any of their allies.
    This will not be declared an 'act of agression' -- Sony is not critical U.S. infrastructure; granted the damage will be in the millions, tens of millions ... but this is not the same as the U.S. banking or financial sectors ... this is very different.

This is very much in the "act of economic terrorism" category and that is more likely what the U.S. will officially label it ... the news may say "act of aggression" but the semantics/details are pretty important. We will not get in a shooting match over this.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So just cause it is in the middle of a populated area, it should never get targeted?
    Unless you want a major war, Not targeting the citizens of a third nation is a good idea.

AKA: Sanity

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Well, never is an absolute but the location certainly complicates things. I am sure you don't want thousands of civilians killed in a retaliation raid (were we ever to contemplate such a response against China).
    That's the type of logic terrorists use when they use "human shields".. That we are too scared to kill civilians to take them out. Sorry, but if those civilians stay over a target, its on THEM if they get killed IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    Unless you want a major war, Not targeting the citizens of a third nation is a good idea.

AKA: Sanity
    Is not their continued hacking of both our civilian corporations as well as government agencies an act of war?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That's the type of logic terrorists use when they use "human shields".. That we are too scared to kill civilians to take them out. Sorry, but if those civilians stay over a target, its on THEM if they get killed IMO.
    That is like saying the parents who put their children in the day-care at the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City have it "on them" that their children were killed in the bombing because it was a federal building ... a potential target. Civilians are civilians, that isn't to say that at some point part of the equation is the evaluation of collateral damage; but to say that the onus is on the civilian who is just living their life is simply removing the responsibility of the professional warfighter to conduct operations in line with the law of war.

Is not their continued hacking of both our civilian corporations as well as government agencies an act of war?
    Hacking a civilian corporation isn't an act of war.

Activities towards a government agency is dependant:

Conducting network exploitation on a government agency is not an act of war, that is ISR.

Offensive operations toward government, critical infrastructure, major financial institutions, absolutely.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    I had read that Sony did consult the State Department about the script. I am actually a bit more surprised that someone from the Executive Office of the President at some point in the last week did not call Sony and ask what they were going to do.

A joint investigation would be great for North Korea -- show us your sources and methods of how you know it was us. That would make it much easier to refine TTPs to be less detectable in the future. The offer to assist with the investigation is a pretty good

This will not be declared an 'act of agression' -- Sony is not critical U.S. infrastructure; granted the damage will be in the millions, tens of millions ... but this is not the same as the U.S. banking or financial sectors ... this is very different.

This is very much in the "act of economic terrorism" category and that is more likely what the U.S. will officially label it ... the news may say "act of aggression" but the semantics/details are pretty important. We will not get in a shooting match over this.
    Since when have we let silly little things like laws and definitions get in the way of us waging war?

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/19/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

So now that the Ebola crisis is over and done, it's time for a new "sky is falling" scare from the media. How I long for the days of the Y2K bug.
    100's of Millions of citizens were put at risk in the Home Depot, Target and VA hackings, and .gov does nothing. But, just let a couple of Hollywood jews get publicly embarrassed and it's all of a sudden a matter of National Security.

In keeping with the Cloward-Piven strategy I'm sure dear Leader will issue an executive order telling us We must suspend the 1st amendment and lock down the internet to defend the constitution and keep ourselves safe from evil terrorists that only hate us for our freedoms.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 12-21-2014 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    SCENE: Unified World Government Classroom

YEAR: 2050

ACT I; SCENE I

TEACHER: So class, who can tell me the name of the movie that started World War III?*

*Language to be determined
    Last edited by BENDER56; 12-21-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Those civilian we would be Murdering (taking out is just a way of lying" are citizens of the second most powerful nation on earth. When People in the US act againsy Chinese intersts are they allowed to m commit mass murder on American citizens? Idf so then manu nmation should feel free to target the NSA and the cities it is based in without fear of reprisal

Not even clone, at least to the same among us. One is financial inconvenienct, the other is infinitely more expensive in blood and treasure. that is like comparing jaywalking to mass murder

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    SCENE: Unified World Government Classroom

YEAR: 2050

ACT I; SCENE I

TEACHER: So class, who can tell me the name of the movie that started World War III?*

*Language to be a mixed of Mandarin slang and English Proper.
    Like I said, China wants our business. They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them unless it suits them. Besides, if WW3 does happen, after North Korea gets it's ass handed to it on a platter, we would force unification by threaten to have China take over in full. They would sign to it in a heartbeat.