Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116

Thread: Leave Means "Leave Me Alone"

  1. #1
    Senior Member technomage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Rim
    Posts
    979
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Leave Means "Leave Me Alone"

    Some base/units are worse about this than others, but I've been noticing a trend over the last couple of years in calls (especially if you have a cell phone) while on leave. I certainly understand emergency situations, but the unit trying to set up my annual dental exam, asking where such as such EPR is (when it's plainly showed in the system) can all easily wait until I get back from the day or two I usually take at a time. Leave is a time to unwind. That's hard to do when they expect you to use your personal phone as a standby device & get irritated if you don't answer or call back right away. Also - you can tell when I'll be back easily from my leave paperwork, the sign out board, and/or my out of office editor reply.

    I also wish the clinic would let you opt out of their nuisance calls (appointment reminders and satisfaction surveys).

    Things I do want to be called about: a troop of mine in the hospital or jail. National emergencies. Weather related emergencies. Medical test results. There may be a few other categories, but mostly it can wait.

    Oh, and for the love of whatever you consider holy, do NOT write in your base supplement to AFI that local leaves will be called in a practice recall. Real world, sure. Got it. But exercises or practices, leave me alone. The guilty base(s?) knows who they are.

    I'm not a shirt, Chief, standby guy, etc. I am replaceable and I did take care of it 9/10 times before I went on leave so I wouldn't be bothered while on leave. That goes with being a responsible adult.

    I'm not going to give anyone but my subordinates my number at my next base. The recall roster isn't getting it, the clinic isn't getting it, and it's not going on my leave form. It's been abused too much.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

  2. #2
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Some base/units are worse about this than others, but I've been noticing a trend over the last couple of years in calls (especially if you have a cell phone) while on leave. I certainly understand emergency situations, but the unit trying to set up my annual dental exam, asking where such as such EPR is (when it's plainly showed in the system) can all easily wait until I get back from the day or two I usually take at a time. Leave is a time to unwind. That's hard to do when they expect you to use your personal phone as a standby device & get irritated if you don't answer or call back right away. Also - you can tell when I'll be back easily from my leave paperwork, the sign out board, and/or my out of office editor reply.

    I also wish the clinic would let you opt out of their nuisance calls (appointment reminders and satisfaction surveys).

    Things I do want to be called about: a troop of mine in the hospital or jail. National emergencies. Weather related emergencies. Medical test results. There may be a few other categories, but mostly it can wait.

    Oh, and for the love of whatever you consider holy, do NOT write in your base supplement to AFI that local leaves will be called in a practice recall. Real world, sure. Got it. But exercises or practices, leave me alone. The guilty base(s?) knows who they are.

    I'm not a shirt, Chief, standby guy, etc. I am replaceable and I did take care of it 9/10 times before I went on leave so I wouldn't be bothered while on leave. That goes with being a responsible adult.

    I'm not going to give anyone but my subordinates my number at my next base. The recall roster isn't getting it, the clinic isn't getting it, and it's not going on my leave form. It's been abused too much.
    Great point, but you're in the military. You're a 24/7 "standby" guy, whether on leave or not. What if there is a Squadron BBQ going on and they need your burger recipe? What if there is an impromptu mock PT test and they need everyone there? It's about responsibility. Quit whining, get outside and do some sprints.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 12-18-2014 at 11:44 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sounds like a legit gripe to me. I think that the "you're in the military 24/7" card gets played too much, and things that should be a last resort are used as a first resort just because. Another example is working more than 40 hours a week when stateside. Yes, you're in the military and should be ready to do so when called upon, but it shouldn't be the norm.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  4. #4
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Sounds like a legit gripe to me. I think that the "you're in the military 24/7" card gets played too much, and things that should be a last resort are used as a first resort just because. Another example is working more than 40 hours a week when stateside. Yes, you're in the military and should be ready to do so when called upon, but it shouldn't be the norm.
    You are in the Air Force now! You damned well better pack that snivel in your seabag and stow it in the attic.

    I have no respect for anyone that doesn't have enough common sense to anticipate these types of calls before going on leave.

    Most of those questions about EPRs and staus updates can be easily deflected with a little advanced planning.

    Besides, when they do call you in for something dumb, it shouldn't be looked at as an annoyance, but as a chance to flaunt how important you are to the squadron.

    Only amateurs whine about getting called in from leave, true professionals see it as an opportunity to excel.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    You are in the Air Force now! You damned well better pack that snivel in your seabag and stow it in the attic.

    I have no respect for anyone that doesn't have enough common sense to anticipate these types of calls before going on leave.

    Most of those questions about EPRs and staus updates can be easily deflected with a little advanced planning.

    Besides, when they do call you in for something dumb, it shouldn't be looked at as an annoyance, but as a chance to flaunt how important you are to the squadron.

    Only amateurs whine about getting called in from leave, true professionals see it as an opportunity to excel.
    Airman of Darkness, is that you?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree, leave me alone while on leave. If I ever got a call while on leave, if they didn't leave a message I didn't call back. If they message said "give me a call when you get a chance", the chance comes when I return. If the message was for something specific, I would access how important it was and usually wait until I returned.

    Cell phones really screwed up staying away while on leave. Before cell phones I would have just said I stayed somewhere other than the number given. I don't recall that ever coming up though, but I had answers/excuses ready. When I got a cell phone, my answer became I didn't have a signal.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rollyn01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mata Leao View Post
    I agree, leave me alone while on leave. If I ever got a call while on leave, if they didn't leave a message I didn't call back. If they message said "give me a call when you get a chance", the chance comes when I return. If the message was for something specific, I would access how important it was and usually wait until I returned.

    Cell phones really screwed up staying away while on leave. Before cell phones I would have just said I stayed somewhere other than the number given. I don't recall that ever coming up though, but I had answers/excuses ready. When I got a cell phone, my answer became I didn't have a signal.
    "Hello? Hello? I can't...I can't hear you. Hello? What? Speak up, I can barely hear you... coming in broken... Hello?" Click!! Oh well. I tried. Now where did that stripper go?
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

    Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

    “The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

  8. #8
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    This is a conversation we've had on here several times. It's easier to just not have a cell phone but, if you do, it's easy enough to not answer the phone, unless on telephone standby. If your conscience gets the better of you and you feel the need to answer the phone, that's on you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Sounds like a legit gripe to me. I think that the "you're in the military 24/7" card gets played too much, and things that should be a last resort are used as a first resort just because. Another example is working more than 40 hours a week when stateside. Yes, you're in the military and should be ready to do so when called upon, but it shouldn't be the norm.
    I have always wondered why this (bolded) doesn't work the other way as well. If something comes up the first words out of leadership's mouth is "you are in the military, you are on the clock 24/7". What happens though when things are a bit slow and I cut a few of my guys lose at 1400. Next thing you know here comes the boss. Where did everyone go? I guess I should just respond, "They are in the military they are on the clock 24/7"

    I mean seriously, what is with the obsession with the 730-1630 duty day? I get that it matters with Law Enforcement, Customer Service and other jobs where someone needs to be there in case something comes up. With other jobs I don't get it. If the work is done for the day cut everyone lose. We aren't getting paid by the hour.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I have always wondered why this (bolded) doesn't work the other way as well. If something comes up the first words out of leadership's mouth is "you are in the military, you are on the clock 24/7". What happens though when things are a bit slow and I cut a few of my guys lose at 1400. Next thing you know here comes the boss. Where did everyone go? I guess I should just respond, "They are in the military they are on the clock 24/7"

    I mean seriously, what is with the obsession with the 730-1630 duty day? I get that it matters with Law Enforcement, Customer Service and other jobs where someone needs to be there in case something comes up. With other jobs I don't get it. If the work is done for the day cut everyone lose. We aren't getting paid by the hour.
    Along those same lines, I've never understood or been one of those people who stay late just in case something happens. If my hours are 0730-1630, but you expect me to stay intil 1700 or 1800, make my hours 0700 to 1800. For the record, I always came in at around 0600, so me leaving at 1600ish still give me the same hours as the over-achievers, I just wasn't seen by leadership as staying late.
    When I first got to Kunsan in 2011, about my 2nd friday there I shut down at 1600. walking home some felt like they were doing something wrong.

    I guess my superior time management skills kept me from being considered for higher ranks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •