Thread: 3 things leaders get

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

3 things leaders get

3 things that leaders really get:

Feel free to share your thoughts.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    1. I am not dumb, but probably not the smartest guy in the room -- the smartest guy in the room will change depending on the topic/mission at hand.

2. At times I am going to fall short; at times the people who work with me will fall short -- what is important is that we don’t like it, we actually strive to meet the mark and that when we do fall short we learn and move on.

3. I am a regular person – the people who work with me are regular people too. Being senior doesn’t make someone better; being junior doesn’t make someone lesser.

BONUS:

4. Character counts.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    1. I exist to protect and enable my subordinates so they can accomplish the mission; however, I must also protect the interest of the service, and watch the back of my superiors.

2. I realize that my existence as a leader means that I must eat shit from both subordinate and superior from time to time. I have a hearty appetite and will eat shit with great gusto.

3. The mission depends on my ability to encourage both those below, and above me, to keep eating shit. If I can convince those around me that shit is vanilla ice cream, it is a good day, because I can't eat all this shit alone.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    1. The greatest expectation that my subordinates should have of me is that I will point them in the right direction. The greatest expectation I should have of my subordinates is that they are willing to do the work hard to accomplish the task at hand.

2. It is my job to ensure that everyone in the unit, from the highest officer to the lowest enlisted, understands the mission and is fully competent in all required tasks. If there are any deficiencies, they will be resolved through BOTH positive and negative reinforcement.

3. If in training, I understand any orders I give will be open to question and will do my best to explain them so that when it comes time for battle, there will be none.
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses ... I am actually working on something and am looking to get some ideas on leadership from several sources.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1. My success depends upon me enabling my people to be successful.

2. Trust is a two-way street; never block that street.

3. My best idea is recognizing others' ideas and giving them the credit.