Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LA to implement 'kitchen staff' line item for tipping on recepits.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

LA to implement 'kitchen staff' line item for tipping on recepits.

http://dailyfreepress.com/2014/11/20...ipping-system/

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/los-ange...kitchen-staff/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...-kitchen-staff

Saw this on Fox at lunch, where LA county is trying a new regulation where a line item for people to 'tip the kitchen staff', not just the waiters/bus boys/matre'dis is going to be added to your receipts.

Having eaten overseas many a time where there was no tipping needed as it was already computed into your final bill, i have never really noticed an improvement in service, taste of food or quality at places where its mandated/automatically included, over places where tipping is my choice.

So what's everyone elses thought on this?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    http://dailyfreepress.com/2014/11/20...ipping-system/

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/los-ange...kitchen-staff/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...-kitchen-staff

Saw this on Fox at lunch, where LA county is trying a new regulation where a line item for people to 'tip the kitchen staff', not just the waiters/bus boys/matre'dis is going to be added to your receipts.

Having eaten overseas many a time where there was no tipping needed as it was already computed into your final bill, i have never really noticed an improvement in service, taste of food or quality at places where its mandated/automatically included, over places where tipping is my choice.

So what's everyone elses thought on this?
    It's ridiculous, and it's going to end up hurting the tips for the waiters, etc. Ultimately, though, I don't see it mattering too much. The cooks don't really see the customers so it's not like they are going to give me bad food the next time I come in when they don't get a tip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is this pizza/pasta place in Park City, UT that seems to cater to tourists. I live close enough I don't consider myself a tourist, but we ate there anyway, once. There is an automatic 20% tip included. I had to remind them to bring my beer and went to find someone to get ketchup. Definitely not worth 20%. I think knowing they are getting 20% anyway causes them to be lazy. I don't want to get into the argument about service wages or whatever. Tipping for service is the tradition here, based on level of service.

I'm a fairly generous tipper; I start at 25% and work up/down from there. Even average service still gets 20% because I know it's hard work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    While we are on the subject of tipping. Do any of you actually tip the maids at a hotel? Does it vary based on how long you stay?

For example, when I was TDy to Turkey I was in the Hilton for 45 days. I made a few special requests of houskeeping which were handled. I did leave a tip in that case.

In my opinion if I stay in a hotel for one night only I would definitly never leave a tip. What exactly am I tipping for? Yes the bed was made and the room was clean when I arrived. To me that's part of the price. When I leave, if I leave a tip for houskeeping what's it for? To clean the room for the next person?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    While we are on the subject of tipping. Do any of you actually tip the maids at a hotel? Does it vary based on how long you stay?

For example, when I was TDy to Turkey I was in the Hilton for 45 days. I made a few special requests of houskeeping which were handled. I did leave a tip in that case.

In my opinion if I stay in a hotel for one night only I would definitly never leave a tip. What exactly am I tipping for? Yes the bed was made and the room was clean when I arrived. To me that's part of the price. When I leave, if I leave a tip for houskeeping what's it for? To clean the room for the next person?
    I tip the maid almost always. If I'm staying somewhere for just a few days, I leave the 'Do not Disturb' sign up the whole time...and usually leave a $5 tip.

The only time I don't is when it's checkout time and I have no cash on me. I don't feel bad cuz, really, she only had to clean once for my whole stay.

If I stay like 45 days I tip every few days when I do request service...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    With me, it depends on if its an actual hotel or motel, and how long.
    When i went back to gulfport last year to sign some paperwork and do an inspection of my house that was being rented out, i stayed 2 nights at a motel, so didn't tip.
    A few years back when i got a TAD out at Camp Pendelton for a exercise i stayed at La quinta for 5 days so did.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    How much do you tip your barber? I've never tipped a maid. Does it make me cheap? Maybe but I didn't know it was even a custom.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    How much do you tip your barber?
    I haven't been to a barber in 10 years.

Try this one...I once tipped the sandwich maker at the commissary...well, I had a large last-minute order that I didn't call in 24 hours ahead of time, and he really went out of his way to help.

Next time, I was gonna do it again...he wouldn't accept it. I was trying to insist, but is supervisor was there...she reminded me that he is a federal civil service worker and is prohibited from accepting tips.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    How much do you tip your barber? I've never tipped a maid. Does it make me cheap? Maybe but I didn't know it was even a custom.
    If say i get a cut for 13, i round up to 15, after tax is included. If less than 12, i give a buck.

In discussions about tipping on the Gencon forums, a lot of heated arguments on both sides of whether you should and should tip consistently make the rounds. There are several sites out there listing who should and shouldn't be tipped.
    The one i always scratch my head to see is, "Pre-tip bartenders, to ensure you not only get service promptly, but actually GET served drinks you order.
    I am sorry, but to me that sounds awfully like you need to bribe them. And if you don't, you won't get anything.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Here's an interesting HuffPo article suggesting that tipping be abolished. One part that stands out, is where the author mentions that many customers might actually fight against this because they feel that tipping gives them a sense of power and control.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 12-08-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males