Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Give Santa The Boot

  1. #21
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    To quote Homer Simpson: "D'OH!"
    I omitted one word. You were largely incoherent and your posts are rife with misspellings.

    However, I'm not surprised to see you doing an end zone dance because I omitted the word "to."
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  2. #22
    Administrator UncaRastus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    MTF-HQ
    Posts
    1,196
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    In accordance with the Community Guidelines, I am asking the posters in the MTF to stop all of the trolling, belittling, looking for ways to get in here and cause dissension among the ranks, and to try to be a better person, not the one that has an ax to grind with all of the other posters, or at least most of them.

    Belittling other posters only make the posters doing this look more and more like internet bullies.

    "But he started it!"

    What I am asking is if anyone makes your gorge rise, use the ignore feature. If it is used enough, the poster(s) that are at the root of this will be 'starved' out of doing this.

    The Community Guidelines are rules. They are not suggestions.

    I am asking all of you nicely. If this continues, I will follow the Community Guidelines on this. Please, don't make me take the step(s) that are in the Community Guidelines to alleviate this problem. This is my one and only request to you all, on this matter. Next time, if this continues, at least, you all have been warned.

    Anyone can have a bad day. Everyone has days of stress. Once in awhile, posters do snap. This is not the case in here. Singular statements are one thing. The bigger problem has to stopped.


    UR
    Super Moderator

  3. #23
    Senior Member Capt Alfredo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Echo Chamber
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    The Christmas season is fast approaching and all over America, parents are once again pulling the stupid Santa prank on their children.

    I'd like to urge anyone considering playing this silly prank on their small children to reconsider.

    I say that it is just a mean trick that is potentially harmful to your kids. You are making your kids look stupid by fooling them like that.

    When they do find out that Santa isn't real, they will most likely be embarrassed that they were tricked by such nonsense. If they aren't, then they will likely be saddened to find out it was just a big hoax.

    I say that fooling your children in this manner is a tremendous violation of trust between parent and child.

    Your kids depend on you for everything, especially knowledge, and what a colossal failure of passing on knowledge it is to fool them in believing such an absurd tale.

    There isn't even anything good that ultimately comes from doing this. Any joy they experience is as fleeting as the cheap toys that Santa leaves them.

    Give Santa the boot this holiday season. When they hear about him from outside the home, tell them it is just a pretend game that some families play.

    Don't encourage your kids to be idiots that believe in flying reindeer and a fatso in a magic sleigh that carries a tremendous amount of toys around the earth in a single night.

    Instead, give your kids the gift of the scientific method and the quest for truth.
    Your persuasive speech for that Anne Arundel Community College Public Speaking class? Go CCAF!

  4. #24
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't think that there's anything wrong with children believing in Santa Claus. If you think about it, it appears that the story of Santa Claus is purposely set up so that children will figure out that he's not real by the age of 7 or 8.

    When I look back to my childhood, I don't really compare Santa Claus to God. I actually compare Santa to wrestling.

    Think about it... when you were a child and you watched wrestling, you thought it was real... correct? I know I did. It wasn't until I hit my preteens that I learned that wrestling was fake. Was I disappointed? Sure. Believing that wrestling was real was an awesome part of my childhood, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Learning that wrestling was fake, although it sucked, was part of growing up.

    I look at the belief in Santa Claus, and subsequently learning that he isn't real, the same way.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  5. #25
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I don't think that there's anything wrong with children believing in Santa Claus. If you think about it, it appears that the story of Santa Claus is purposely set up so that children will figure out that he's not real by the age of 7 or 8.

    When I look back to my childhood, I don't really compare Santa Claus to God. I actually compare Santa to wrestling.

    Think about it... when you were a child and you watched wrestling, you thought it was real... correct? I know I did. It wasn't until I hit my preteens that I learned that wrestling was fake. Was I disappointed? Sure. Believing that wrestling was real was an awesome part of my childhood, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Learning that wrestling was fake, although it sucked, was part of growing up.

    I look at the belief in Santa Claus, and subsequently learning that he isn't real, the same way.
    Wrestling? You mean that Hulk Hogan shit?

    Oh my! 10,000 times worse than Santa.

    What a horrible thing to let children watch, and letting them believe it is real!

    That's neglect in my book.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  6. #26
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Wrestling? You mean that Hulk Hogan shit?

    Oh my! 10,000 times worse than Santa.

    What a horrible thing to let children watch, and letting them believe it is real!

    That's neglect in my book.
    You know what the real neglect is? Most cartoons. The good guy always wins in children's cartoons. The Autobots always defeat the Decepticons, G.I. Joe always beats Cobra, He-Man always beats Skeletor, etc, etc. What is that teaching our children?

    You know what I always loved about wrestling? Sometimes, the bad guy wins. And it's not a rare occurance, either - it's 50/50.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  7. #27
    Senior Member Stalwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,055
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    For us, Santa isn't about religion ... it is simply the innocence of childhood; something we are very much loving with our daughter for what will be her first Christmas. We are enjoying the way her face is lighting up when she sees an image of Santa and talks about him coming to our house. Kids find joy and wonder in the world whether or not you create fantasies for them. With this we are creating a little bit of the joy for her. There really isn't much time where she will be like this, soon other things will take precedence and her finding great marvel at simply playing with dirt and rocks, or in the fantasy of Santa, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy make her happy; I am sure she will find something else to hate me for in the future.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    You know what the real neglect is? Most cartoons. The good guy always wins in children's cartoons. The Autobots always defeat the Decepticons, G.I. Joe always beats Cobra, He-Man always beats Skeletor, etc, etc. What is that teaching our children?

    You know what I always loved about wrestling? Sometimes, the bad guy wins. And it's not a rare occurance, either - it's 50/50.
    I never let my kids watch cartoons like that either.

    I'm talking about under eight years old. There are so many more worth while things to expose them to.

    I disagree with the notion that when children are very young that it should be all play. When they are at that very young age they will believe anything you tell them.

    It is the only time in their lives where you will have complete control of what they are exposed to. Why waste that time telling them crap that isn't true or letting them watch wrestling.

    You can have preschool kids reading and doing basic math. It isn't that hard either, they soak it up.

    I think it is a shame to let little ones watch garbage cartoons or wrestling.

    They need to be prepared for entering the world. Wrestling, GI Joe, Autobots, and Santa are a big waste of time.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

  9. #29
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,883
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    We will just add that to the already long list of things you don't know.

    Nothing good comes from fooling one's children in this manner.

    It amounts to nothing more than of making one's child out to be a fool.

    Children deserve much better, they deserve to be taught knowledge, not tricked into believing nonsense for the amusement of the parent.

    I would think a loving parent would be against clouding a child's mind with nonsense on principle alone.

    And for our Christian friends, there is something called the first commandment to consider.

    Exodus 20:1-17 New International Version (NIV)

    3 “You shall have no other gods before me.


    If Santa isn't a god like being, I don't know what is. He is reported to be omniscient, capable of knowing who is naughty or nice. He knows when children are asleep, or awake.

    Some parents even take the Santa nonsense so far as to have their children writing letters, or making requests that are tantamount to prayers.

    But alas, we have already discussed how ignorant the majority of Christians are of their own scripture.

    I'm not surprised that you'd speak up in favor of Santa. I guess some people have a need to believe in myths and fairy tales.

    It isn't healthy or rational behavior, and if you are a Christian, it is even in conflict with your religion.

    One would think that being against the Santa myth would be one area of agreement for the Atheist and Christian, but apparently not.

    Tsk Tsk
    Can't spell Santa without Satan...

    http://www.amazon.com/Consuming-Kids.../dp/1565847830

  10. #30
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,883
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    In accordance with the Community Guidelines, I am asking the posters in the MTF to stop all of the trolling, belittling, looking for ways to get in here and cause dissension among the ranks, and to try to be a better person, not the one that has an ax to grind with all of the other posters, or at least most of them.

    Belittling other posters only make the posters doing this look more and more like internet bullies.

    "But he started it!"

    What I am asking is if anyone makes your gorge rise, use the ignore feature. If it is used enough, the poster(s) that are at the root of this will be 'starved' out of doing this.

    The Community Guidelines are rules. They are not suggestions.

    I am asking all of you nicely. If this continues, I will follow the Community Guidelines on this. Please, don't make me take the step(s) that are in the Community Guidelines to alleviate this problem. This is my one and only request to you all, on this matter. Next time, if this continues, at least, you all have been warned.

    Anyone can have a bad day. Everyone has days of stress. Once in awhile, posters do snap. This is not the case in here. Singular statements are one thing. The bigger problem has to stopped.


    UR
    Super Moderator
    With all due respect to his super Moderatorness, It should be obvious to everyone that the man was speaking tongue in cheek. Errbody loves Santa. Even the Militant Atheists.. Do we need to start using Sarc Tags lest anyone get their little feelings hurt?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtcrime
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 12-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •