Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Give Santa The Boot

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Give Santa The Boot

The Christmas season is fast approaching and all over America, parents are once again pulling the stupid Santa prank on their children.

I'd like to urge anyone considering playing this silly prank on their small children to reconsider.

I say that it is just a mean trick that is potentially harmful to your kids. You are making your kids look stupid by fooling them like that.

When they do find out that Santa isn't real, they will most likely be embarrassed that they were tricked by such nonsense. If they aren't, then they will likely be saddened to find out it was just a big hoax.

I say that fooling your children in this manner is a tremendous violation of trust between parent and child.

Your kids depend on you for everything, especially knowledge, and what a colossal failure of passing on knowledge it is to fool them in believing such an absurd tale.

There isn't even anything good that ultimately comes from doing this. Any joy they experience is as fleeting as the cheap toys that Santa leaves them.

Give Santa the boot this holiday season. When they hear about him from outside the home, tell them it is just a pretend game that some families play.

Don't encourage your kids to be idiots that believe in flying reindeer and a fatso in a magic sleigh that carries a tremendous amount of toys around the earth in a single night.

Instead, give your kids the gift of the scientific method and the quest for truth.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 11-29-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    ... When they hear about him from outside the home, tell them it is just a pretend game that some families play ...
    C'mon, dude ... what fun is that? Tell your child that when he hears those other poor, misguided children talk about Santa, to tell them flat-out they're stupid poopy heads and there's no such thing as Santa. This will teach your child how to fight and prepare him for a lifetime of lording over the ignorant rest of humanity with his superior knowledge. Win/Win!
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    C'mon, dude ... what fun is that? Tell your child that when he hears those other poor, misguided children talk about Santa, to tell them flat-out they're stupid poopy heads and there's no such thing as Santa. This will teach your child how to fight and prepare him for a lifetime of lording over the ignorant rest of humanity with his superior knowledge. Win/Win!
    That's better than teaching them to idolize and revere a fat dude. I don't get why Santa has to be a fat guy that munches on millions of cookies and drinks millions of gallons of milk on his yearly trek around the world.

That's yet another aspect of Santa that is so dumb, he's an undisciplined slob with lousy eating habits.

There is no way a lard ass like that could have the endurance needed to make such a grueling journey.

I wouldn't be so harsh on this myth if he was a triathlete or something a bit more healthy.

But I agree, you'll be putting your kid far ahead of those inane poopy heads that believe in such nonsense.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I've never known a single person who was in any way traumatized, or angry at their parents, by believing in Santa for the first few years of their life.

And, ,more importantly, Santa is the epitome of the physical standards required for his job positions. If he was in shape, cut, ripped, he would fail. When it comes to standards, Santa fits his perfectly.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 11-30-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I've never known a single person who was in any way traumatized, or angry at their parents, by believing in Santa for the first few years of their life.
    We will just add that to the already long list of things you don't know.

Nothing good comes from fooling one's children in this manner.

It amounts to nothing more than of making one's child out to be a fool.

Children deserve much better, they deserve to be taught knowledge, not tricked into believing nonsense for the amusement of the parent.

I would think a loving parent would be against clouding a child's mind with nonsense on principle alone.

And for our Christian friends, there is something called the first commandment to consider.

Exodus 20:1-17 New International Version (NIV)

3 “You shall have no other gods before me.

If Santa isn't a god like being, I don't know what is. He is reported to be omniscient, capable of knowing who is naughty or nice. He knows when children are asleep, or awake.

Some parents even take the Santa nonsense so far as to have their children writing letters, or making requests that are tantamount to prayers.

But alas, we have already discussed how ignorant the majority of Christians are of their own scripture.

I'm not surprised that you'd speak up in favor of Santa. I guess some people have a need to believe in myths and fairy tales.

It isn't healthy or rational behavior, and if you are a Christian, it is even in conflict with your religion.

One would think that being against the Santa myth would be one area of agreement for the Atheist and Christian, but apparently not.

Tsk Tsk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Christmas season is fast approaching and all over America, parents are once again pulling the stupid Santa prank on their children.

I'd like to urge anyone considering playing this silly prank on their small children to reconsider.

I say that it is just a mean trick that is potentially harmful to your kids. You are making your kids look stupid by fooling them like that.

When they do find out that Santa isn't real, they will most likely be embarrassed that they were tricked by such nonsense. If they aren't, then they will likely be saddened to find out it was just a big hoax.

I say that fooling your children in this manner is a tremendous violation of trust between parent and child.

Your kids depend on you for everything, especially knowledge, and what a colossal failure of passing on knowledge it is to fool them in believing such an absurd tale.

There isn't even anything good that ultimately comes from doing this. Any joy they experience is as fleeting as the cheap toys that Santa leaves them.

Give Santa the boot this holiday season. When they hear about him from outside the home, tell them it is just a pretend game that some families play.

Don't encourage your kids to be idiots that believe in flying reindeer and a fatso in a magic sleigh that carries a tremendous amount of toys around the earth in a single night.

Instead, give your kids the gift of the scientific method and the quest for truth.
    As an Atheist, you should be happy with the Santa myth. Here's why...

Young children are taught the myth about Santa by their parents, their teachers, the media, and perhaps even other sources. Most children believe the myth, and they believe it with all their heart. As children grow up, they learn that Santa is not real at all. The children will then realize that they have been duped. Those children will then question other subjects that they have been taught. They may even question what they have learned about Christianity.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Buddha's teachings on judging truth are found in the Kalama Sutta.

The Kalama Sutra is a sutra in the Anguttara Nikaya of the Tipitaka. It is often cited by both Mahayana and Theravada Buddhists, and is known as the Buddha's charter of free inquiry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalama_Sutta

http://buddhism.about.com/od/thetrip...alamasutta.htm
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Boy, you're a real Killjoy.

Kids believe in Santa Claus up til about the age or six or seven when they start questioning the ability of a person, Santa, to actually being able to travel around the world delivering presents via a chimney to every child in the world all in one night. Kids up til that age are beginning to learn about their world having first learned the important lessons of like like walking, talking, speaking, etc... Most young children accept the world as they perceive it because they have nothing to compare it to so they are more willing to believe the myth of Santa Claus.

But is that a bad thing? I don't think so because young children have a difficult time grasping the concept of God whereas Santa is a concept they can process and accept as being believable with their limited intellectual capabilities. As children develop intellectually they naturally begin to question the world around them; that is the time when teaching them the scientific method should begin for it will carry them throughout their lives. But for now, let them enjoy their childhood.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A politically correct Christmas story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nytkzah78eU
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Boy, you're a real Killjoy.

Kids believe in Santa Claus up til about the age or six or seven when they start questioning the ability of a person, Santa, to actually being able to travel around the world delivering presents via a chimney to every child in the world all in one night. Kids up til that age are beginning to learn about their world having first learned the important lessons of like like walking, talking, speaking, etc... Most young children accept the world as they perceive it because they have nothing to compare it to so they are more willing to believe the myth of Santa Claus.

But is that a bad thing? I don't think so because young children have a difficult time grasping the concept of God whereas Santa is a concept they can process and accept as being believable with their limited intellectual capabilities. As children develop intellectually they naturally begin to question the world around them; that is the time when teaching them the scientific method should begin for it will carry them throughout their lives. But for now, let them enjoy their childhood.
    I think you are selling small children short, they are capable of understanding so much more.

Besides, how are god and Santa that much different?

Both are watching them, judging their behavior from afar, and both supposedly punish and reward.

Kicking Santa out of your house doesn't kill any joy either.

Kids can have joy and fun in innumerable ways at the holiday season.

What's wrong with simply exchanging gifts with family members?

You can make it fun by getting the child to learn about what each member of the family likes, what they need, and what would be a good gift to give.

I think that sounds more fun and enriching for the whole family, instead of letting that ridiculous Santa story take center stage.

Five and Six year olds are incredibly smart and sweet. They can learn about what it means to give to others.

I really think the Santa tradition is insulting to children. They deserve respect just as much as any other member of the family.

I say they deserve better than being told lies, and having a ridiculous and elaborate prank played on them.

Plus, when I think about how so many parents hold the threat of Santa not bringing toys over their heads, it gets even more absurd.

That is nothing but weak parenting. Santa is a parenting tool for weak and lazy parents.

It is absurd.

I say a caring and imaginative parent can create joyful and lasting childhood memories without Santa.

Memories that have far more meaning and relevance to the rest of their lives.

As you said yourself, Santa has a very limited shelf life.

No, Santa isn't essential for joy in the mind of a child. If anything, he is a creator of dullards, and hopelessly shallow behavior.

I say again, "Give Santa the Boot!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think you are selling small children short, they are capable of understanding so much more.

Besides, how are god and Santa that much different?

Both are watching them, judging their behavior from afar, and both supposedly punish and reward.

Kicking Santa out of your house doesn't kill any joy either.

Kids can have joy and fun in innumerable ways at the holiday season.

What's wrong with simply exchanging gifts with family members?

You can make it fun by getting the child to learn about what each member of the family likes, what they need, and what would be a good gift to give.

I think that sounds more fun and enriching for the whole family, instead of letting that ridiculous Santa story take center stage.

Five and Six year olds are incredibly smart and sweet. They can learn about what it means to give to others.

I really think the Santa tradition is insulting to children. They deserve respect just as much as any other member of the family.

I say they deserve better than being told lies, and having a ridiculous and elaborate prank played on them.

Plus, when I think about how so many parents hold the threat of Santa not bringing toys over their heads, it gets even more absurd.

That is nothing but weak parenting. Santa is a parenting tool for weak and lazy parents.

It is absurd.

I say a caring and imaginative parent can create joyful and lasting childhood memories without Santa.

Memories that have far more meaning and relevance to the rest of their lives.

As you said yourself, Santa has a very limited shelf life.

No, Santa isn't essential for joy in the mind of a child. If anything, he is a creator of dullards, and hopelessly shallow behavior.

I say again, "Give Santa the Boot!"
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Not all children are at the same intellectual level you give them.

Santa isn't a god but a commercially-adapted figure designed to increase sales of toys.

As for parenting, it's a parent's call as to whether they want to tell their kids to believe in Santa and all you're trying to do is interfere with their parenting. Overall, it does no harm to the child as you seem to think it does.

Why you have so much negativity in you I don't know but don't go spoiling it for the kids who believe. They'll learn at their own pace and it's not something that is important to life in general. It's no more harmless than believing in the Easter Bunny, Mickey Mouse, or Superman.