Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Give Santa The Boot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The difference is that religious families talk about God and worship him on a relatively regular basis. The idea of Santa only comes up once a year. Kids aren't stupid...
    Not sure what that means. Does that mean believing in religion is 365.242 times worse than believing in Santa?

Also, kids are stupid -- half of them, anyway. Half of all humans have a below-average IQ. Why should kids be any different? Or do you live in Lake Wobegon?
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    Not sure what that means. Does that mean believing in religion is 365.242 times worse than believing in Santa?
    No...

Also, kids are stupid -- half of them, anyway. Half of all humans have a below-average IQ. Why should kids be any different? Or do you live in Lake Wobegon?
    Then why don't ever (or extremely rarely) see teenagers who still believe in Santa?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Then why don't [we] ever (or extremely rarely) see teenagers who still believe in Santa?
    Setting the bar for not being stupid kinda low, don't you think?
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Setting the bar for not being stupid kinda low, don't you think?
    Just relating it to your response, as you were the one who implied that kids might not be smart enough to understand Santa not being real.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just relating it to your response, as you were the one who implied that kids might not be smart enough to understand Santa not being real.
    Perhaps you inferred that my comment about kids being stupid had something to do with their belief in Santa Claus, but I didn't mean it that way. I merely saw what I believe to be an incorrect statement -- "Kids aren't stupid..." -- and challenged it. Kids are stupid ... half of them, anyways.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Perhaps you inferred that my comment about kids being stupid had something to do with their belief in Santa Claus, but I didn't mean it that way. I merely saw what I believe to be an incorrect statement -- "Kids aren't stupid..." -- and challenged it. Kids are stupid ... half of them, anyways.
    Sure, when it comes to scholastics...but then again, so are most adults.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/03/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t3

Posted here merely because it's a Santa thread...

It's nice to know that trolling has come to the "real news" outlets.

What's funny is it mentions that there is a gay Santa in Texas, but nobody cares. Nobody is complaining, and the "journalist" is surprised. Not because he thinks it's a big deal, but because he's surprised nobody else does.

He even goes on to make a comment about "pedophilia" and sitting on a gay Santa's lap, shocked that nobody is saying it.

So, it's a report about something that isn't happening, intended to do nothing but get people bitching.

Anyway, just found it interesting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also, kids are stupid -- half of them, anyway. Half of all humans have a below-average IQ.
    Self-fulfilling by definition.

No matter how smart people get, half will always be below the average.

Well technically, it's possible a few extremely low outliers could bring the average down...but assuming fairly normal distribution...by definition, half the population will always be below the average.

The reminds me of when a buddy of mine was moved up to become the MAJCOM Functional...and one of his duties was to write the MAJCOM supplement to AFI 21-101. In that, he made it mandatory for every shop to beat the command-average on a metric. Pretty hilarious.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/03/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t3

Posted here merely because it's a Santa thread...

It's nice to know that trolling has come to the "real news" outlets.

What's funny is it mentions that there is a gay Santa in Texas, but nobody cares. Nobody is complaining, and the "journalist" is surprised. Not because he thinks it's a big deal, but because he's surprised nobody else does.

He even goes on to make a comment about "pedophilia" and sitting on a gay Santa's lap, shocked that nobody is saying it.

So, it's a report about something that isn't happening, intended to do nothing but get people bitching.

Anyway, just found it interesting.
    Some of those dudes that are really into playing Santa are weird as hell. There was one that lived on the end of my block when I was a kid.

Lived in a Herman Munster looking house, all overgrown with weeds, Christmas decorations up all year long, packs of stray cats roaming all over the yard.

Rode around on a loud old rusty motorcyle that belched smoke, and of course it had a sidecar.

Those dudes are creeps, he even wore a fucking cape sometimes!

Who in their right mind wears a cape while riding a 1919 motorcycle with a sidecar?

Fucking creeps, those full time Santas.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Self-fulfilling by definition.

No matter how smart people get, half will always be below the average.

Well technically, it's possible a few extremely low outliers could bring the average down...but assuming fairly normal distribution...by definition, half the population will always be below the average.
    Um ... yeah. That's just a repeat of what I'm saying. Did you think I meant something more than that?

I hadn't thought about it, but outliers in a subgroup could cause that group's average to be lower than the overall population's average, but I'm talking about the population as a whole.

Further, we both could be wrong -- half the population is above and below the median score, not necessarily the average score. However, I think the average and median points on the IQ curve of the entire population are close enough that we can be excused.

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    The reminds me of when a buddy of mine was moved up to become the MAJCOM Functional...and one of his duties was to write the MAJCOM supplement to AFI 21-101. In that, he made it mandatory for every shop to beat the command-average on a metric. Pretty hilarious.
    That is funny, but in a sad kind of way.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin