Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Give Santa The Boot

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Not all children are at the same intellectual level you give them.

Santa isn't a god but a commercially-adapted figure designed to increase sales of toys.

As for parenting, it's a parent's call as to whether they want to tell their kids to believe in Santa and all you're trying to do is interfere with their parenting. Overall, it does no harm to the child as you seem to think it does.

Why you have so much negativity in you I don't know but don't go spoiling it for the kids who believe. They'll learn at their own pace and it's not something that is important to life in general. It's no more harmless than believing in the Easter Bunny, Mickey Mouse, or Superman.
    LOL!

First of all, I'm speaking my opinion in a public forum. How you make the jump to me interfering in a person's parenting is laughable.

Second, my message is actually very positive and uplifting.

Third, your contention that it is okay for a child to believe in superman or Mickey Mouse is just shatteringly bizarre and sad.

Lastly, your view of children as incapable of understanding anything more meaningful than Santa is completely wrong.

If one spends time teaching their children, the child's ability to learn and comprehend is nearly boundless.

If one just plops them down in front of the television, perhaps it is as you describe.

I'm actually encouraging people to be more involved with their kids instead of filling their heads with nonsensical Santa stories.

What's wrong with respecting a child enough not to play holiday pranks on them?
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 11-30-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The difference is that religious families talk about God and worship him on a relatively regular basis. The idea of Santa only comes up once a year. Kids aren't stupid...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The difference is that religious families talk about God and worship him on a relatively regular basis. The idea of Santa only comes up once a year. Kids aren't stupid...
    That doesn't even follow with the manner in which the previous comparisons were made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So if families talk about Santa and worship him on a relatively regular basis, will Santa then become real?
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    LOL!

First of all, I'm speaking my opinion in a public forum. How you make the jump to me interfering in a person's parenting is laughable.
    We are all speaking our opinion on this public forum. As for your comment on parenting, I refer you to your own words in Post #9: "I say they deserve better than being told lies, and having a ridiculous and elaborate prank played on them.

Plus, when I think about how so many parents hold the threat of Santa not bringing toys over their heads, it gets even more absurd.

That is nothing but weak parenting. Santa is a parenting tool for weak and lazy parents."

Second, my message is actually very positive and uplifting.
    In your opinion but I doubt many on this board or real life agree with you.

Third, your contention that it is okay for a child to believe in superman or Mickey Mouse is just shatteringly bizarre and sad.
    Most child know Mickey Mouse and Superman are not real but just like adults like to identify with a movie or TV character they too know they're (the character) is not real. Characters such as these help children to use their imagination at play. After all, they are children and playing, including characters in their play, spurs their imagination.

Lastly, your view of children as incapable of understanding anything more meaningful than Santa is completely wrong.
    Perhaps my problem in getting across to you is I'm writing to fast for your reading/comprehension speed so I'll write slower, just for you.

As children grow from infancy to about five years of age they are learning about their environment; that is, they are making connections as to what they see. An 18-month child see a cat
    and associates it with a soft toy. They have little concept it is a living creature capable of feelings and thought. Their knowledge of the world is limited and as they interact with it they begin to learn. As they age and their ability to communicate becomes greater they can begin to understand concepts of good/bad, reward/punishment, etc... They can accept Santa at a young age because Santa is a grown-up person. They may not understand the meaning behind Santa but at their level of observing/questioning is still limited. It's not until about age four or five that they begin to really question the world about them trying to understand the contradictions they observe. As I stated earlier, they wonder how Santa can fly around the world delivering toys to every child around the world in one night. Their level of understanding is greater at age five than a child at age two.

If one spends time teaching their children, the child's ability to learn and comprehend is nearly boundless.
    That's part of parenting and it is an on-going process from the day the child is born. The teaching has to be at the level the child can be expected to understand. If throwing in some fun like Santa is included then what's the harm?

If one just plops them down in front of the television, perhaps it is as you describe.
    Sorry, but you've made a leap I never said or implied. If I'm wrong then please quote my post where I said this otherwise you are lying.

I'm actually encouraging people to be more involved with their kids instead of filling their heads with nonsensical Santa stories.
    Encouraging parents to become more involved with their kids is good but why do you want to take the fun out of their lives. It sounds like you want everyone's kid to grow up to be Sheldon Coopers. It would be a funny world, no doubt, but a scary one.

What's wrong with respecting a child enough not to play holiday pranks on them?
    We celebrate Thanksgiving with a bastardized version of what really happened just as we bastardize the truth life in the Old West substituting the facts that last well into and throughout adulthood. Children outgrown Santa and I see no harm being done to they. The only harm being done is to your ego because the world doesn't revolve around you and your beliefs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That doesn't even follow with the manner in which the previous comparisons were made.
    So.........?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    We are all speaking our opinion on this public forum. As for your comment on parenting, I refer you to your own words in Post #9: "I say they deserve better than being told lies, and having a ridiculous and elaborate prank played on them.

Plus, when I think about how so many parents hold the threat of Santa not bringing toys over their heads, it gets even more absurd.

That is nothing but weak parenting. Santa is a parenting tool for weak and lazy parents."

In your opinion but I doubt many on this board or real life agree with you.

Most child know Mickey Mouse and Superman are not real but just like adults like to identify with a movie or TV character they too know they're (the character) is not real. Characters such as these help children to use their imagination at play. After all, they are children and playing, including characters in their play, spurs their imagination.

Perhaps my problem in getting across to you is I'm writing to fast for your reading/comprehension speed so I'll write slower, just for you.

As children grow from infancy to about five years of age they are learning about their environment; that is, they are making connections as to what they see. An 18-month child see a cat
    and associates it with a soft toy. They have little concept it is a living creature capable of feelings and thought. Their knowledge of the world is limited and as they interact with it they begin to learn. As they age and their ability to communicate becomes greater they can begin to understand concepts of good/bad, reward/punishment, etc... They can accept Santa at a young age because Santa is a grown-up person. They may not understand the meaning behind Santa but at their level of observing/questioning is still limited. It's not until about age four or five that they begin to really question the world about them trying to understand the contradictions they observe. As I stated earlier, they wonder how Santa can fly around the world delivering toys to every child around the world in one night. Their level of understanding is greater at age five than a child at age two.

That's part of parenting and it is an on-going process from the day the child is born. The teaching has to be at the level the child can be expected to understand. If throwing in some fun like Santa is included then what's the harm?

Sorry, but you've made a leap I never said or implied. If I'm wrong then please quote my post where I said this otherwise you are lying.

Encouraging parents to become more involved with their kids is good but why do you want to take the fun out of their lives. It sounds like you want everyone's kid to grow up to be Sheldon Coopers. It would be a funny world, no doubt, but a scary one.

We celebrate Thanksgiving with a bastardized version of what really happened just as we bastardize the truth life in the Old West substituting the facts that last well into and throughout adulthood. Children outgrown Santa and I see no harm being done to they. The only harm being done is to your ego because the world doesn't revolve around you and your beliefs.
    You are embarrassing yourself.

You claim my reading comprehension is at fault, but you are going off on tangents and not even speaking to my points.

Plus, you are quoting post 9 in a very peculiar manner.

You might also want to check your spelling and word usage before you criticize my intellect.

I stand by my claim that the Santa tradition is bad.

It promotes shallow behavior in parent and child alike. It is a senseless prank played upon children that is ultimately disrespectful, and leads to disappointment.

Families can still have fun without Santa; plus, they can celebrate in ways that are more meaningful and that don't involve creating a hoax.

Also, if you happen to be a Christian, Santa is in direct conflict with the first commandment.

Earlier, you said Santa was created to increase toy sales. If so, all the more reason not to let that ridiculous tale take center stage at Christmas.

There are ample reasons to "give Santa the boot" in both the secular and Christian household.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 12-01-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    You might also want to check your spelling and word usage before you criticize my intellect.

Earlier, you said Santa was created increase toy sales.
    You should triple check before posting after such a comment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You are embarrassing yourself.

You claim my reading comprehension is at fault, but you are going off on tangents and not even speaking to my points.

Plus, you are quoting post 9 in a very peculiar manner.

I stand by my claim that the Santa tradition is bad.

It promotes shallow behavior in parent and child alike. It is a senseless prank played upon children that is ultimately disrespectful, and leads to disappointment.

Families can still have fun without Santa; plus, they can celebrate in ways that are more meaningful and that don't involve creating a hoax.

Also, if you happen to be a Christian, Santa is in direct conflict with the first commandment.

Earlier, you said Santa was created increase toy sales. If so, all the more reason not to let that ridiculous tale take center stage at Christmas.

There are ample reasons to "give Santa the boot" in both the secular and Christian household.
    So many words that say too little to support your position. What this comes down to, as usual with you, is your projecting your shortcomings onto others.

If you want to teach your kids Santa doesn't exist then that's your choice but don't criticize others if they want to teach their kids Santa is real. Do you go around telling kids who believe in Santa that Santa isn't real? If not, then doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

As for the first commandment, I am not a Christian; I'm an atheist and I have no problem with kids believing in Santa.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You should triple check before posting after such a comment.
    To quote Homer Simpson: "D'OH!"