Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion Topic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    The abortion issue...
    Whenever you (and the rest of society) talk about child custody issues and child support issues, you (and the rest of society) like to use the phrase "in the best interest of the child". Interestingly, whenever you (and the rest of society) talk about abortion rights, the phrase "in the best interest of the child" is never used.

... it's a matter of a woman's freedom over the most basic of all things someone needs freedom for...her own body.
    If it really is HER body and HER choice, then shouldn't the child be HER financial responsibility?

The only thing a man contributes to the pregnancy is one sperm. A sperm is not even a complete cell. Why should one sperm equal 18 years of child support?
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    Whenever you (and the rest of society) talk about child custody issues and child support issues, you (and the rest of society) like to use the phrase "in the best interest of the child". Interestingly, whenever you (and the rest of society) talk about abortion rights, the phrase "in the best interest of the child" is never used.
    Once again..revolves around the question of when it becomes a child.

If it really is HER body and HER choice, then shouldn't the child be HER financial responsibility?
    Her body, her choice, their child. What's so hard about that? When we can figure a way for men to carry a baby to term, then we can talk about his choice in doing so.

The only thing a man contributes to the pregnancy is one sperm.
    That's all it takes.

A sperm is not even a complete cell. Why should one sperm equal 18 years of child support?
    So, your argument is that the woman should solely be financially responsible for children?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    So, your argument is that the woman should solely be financially responsible for children?
    If they don't want the man in the picture, then yes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sure. If it is her body and her choice, then why shouldn't it be her financial responsibility?
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    If they don't want the man in the picture, then yes.
    What if the man wants to stay in (the childs) picture?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Her body, her choice, their child.

Let's break the word "their" down into "his" and "her"...

When talking about who gets custody of the child - it is HER child.

When talking about who should pay the child support - it is HIS child.

Is that fair and just? I don't think it is.
    Last edited by USN - Retired; 11-19-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mata Leao View Post
    What if the man wants to stay in (the childs) picture?
    The man and woman should decide that together, without any interference from the government (family courts)

If a woman wants the freedom to decide what to do with her body, then a man should have the freedom to decide what to do with his paycheck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    The man and woman should decide that together, without any interference from the government (family courts)

If a woman wants the freedom to decide what to do with her body, then a man should have the freedom to decide what to do with his paycheck...
    I'm not sure if you're trying to scold me or not, but I agree with you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mata Leao View Post
    I'm not sure if you're trying to scold me or not, but I agree with you.
    I'm not scolding you. I have no children, and I got snipped years ago, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I do find the subject fascinating though.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Once again..revolves around the question of when it becomes a child.
    Well, if it is left the fuck alone, and not vacuumed out of her uterus, it will become a child.

Speaking of abortions, we sure as hell aborted old "weak-chin" Colonel Grannan and his crybaby editorial, didn't we?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...