Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Islam - A religion of Peace? Part of Multiculturalism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Islam - A religion of Peace? Part of Multiculturalism?

Have to say guys I would have thought this would have dominated your forums ATM.

Some of you may remember me from a few years back. Just thought I poke my head in and talk about this issue
    This you need to view. The Islamic calaphate of Syria and Iraq is the equivalent of the what happened with Nazi Germany. Tomorrow the world!

This needs to be checked
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgsrnmzxEUY

Thoughts?
    I really do love a women that gives good oratory......For those that dont understand the word oratory....because clearly there are some lol,

or·a·to·ry
    1. The art of public speaking.
    2. Eloquence or skill in making speeches to the public.
    3. Public speaking marked by the use of overblown rhetoric.

...................................Just so theres no ambiguity.........wouldn't like to commit the crime of ambiguity...!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Some of you may remember me from a few years back.
    Nice to see you again :-)

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Have to say guys I would have thought this would have dominated your forums ATM.

Some of you may remember me from a few years back. Just thought I poke my head in and talk about this issue
    This you need to view. The Islamic calaphate of Syria and Iraq is the equivalent of the what happened with Nazi Germany. Tomorrow the world!

This needs to be checked

Thoughts?
    If you narrow your terminology from Islam to Islamic Fascism then I'm on board with you in saying that ISIS and like minded groups need to be countered.

Not only countered but defeated.

However, when you open your terms up to include the entirety of Islam, you are going to have a difficult time gaining traction.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I say Christianity and Islam should go to war against each other. No matter what the result is, everyone else wins.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This needs to be checked

Thoughts?
    It seems that you are trying to draw a correlation between Post WWI Germany and the Modern Middle East. I have seen this argument made with various religions and ideoligies. It ultimately falls apart because Germany was a special case. If you study history you will learn that Germany was in some ways unfairly punished after WWI. They were given a massive amount of war debt and had no way to pay. They printed more money which created hyperinflation and sank their entire economy. The country was beat down and looking for someone to rally behind. They needed to regain national pride. Hitler was the perfect person for that. He was by all accounts very charismatic.

Here is where your comparison falls apart though. Hitler ran for president of Germany and won. He was the recognized leader of a previous national power. Groups like ISIS could never dream of that kind of power. In many ways their goal of Sharia Law is the biggest thing that will stop them from ever gaining enough support to be a major threat.

Iraq is like post WWI Germany in that the country has been ravished by war. The big difference is that sectarian tensions will never allow Iraq to unite behind one common leader.

I watched the 9:00 video you posted. I would have to do more research before I can confirm or debunk any of what it says. Basically, the author of the video is saying that what we are calling "radical islam" is actually the correct version of the religion. He is saying that the moderate muslims are the ones who have it wrong.

Honestly, I don't care whether the author of that YouTube video is right or wrong. The Quran is a book. I don't care how the people who read it take it. I could start my own group tommorow based on the book 1984. You could also start your own group who interprets the great prophet Orwell differently. In the end both of us would just be applying a literal approach to a fictional book. It doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong.
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 11-17-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Great post @SRG

It doesn't matter which fictional belief system these guys are using.

I do see it as a form of fascism, although I agree that comparisons to Nazi Germany aren't accurate.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Great post @SRG

It doesn't matter which fictional belief system these guys are using.

I do see it as a form of fascism, although I agree that comparisons to Nazi Germany aren't accurate.
    I would agree it is Islamic Facism. I won't judge what any other country decides is best for itself. I live in a country that only 170 years ago was perfectly ok with slavery. Even 50 years ago people here in America were ok with separate facilities for people based on skin color.

I'm not going to judge Sharia Law because if you look at the American legal system from an outside point of view it looks pretty ridiculous. We have people doing life sentences for selling marijuana. I'm not going to support telling people halfway across the world what they can and can't do when we can't even get things right in the US.

Societies evolve over time but the one thing that holds true is that the majority will always rule. It simply isn't isn't possible to impose sharia law on a majority. If the majority of a country or caliphate wants to setup a legal system based on a fictional book that is fine with me if that is what the majority wants.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    If the majority of a country or caliphate wants to setup a legal system based on a fictional book that is fine with me if that is what the majority wants.
    It's not a fictional book. It's a real book, whether you believe what it says or not. A fictional book would be a book that doesn't exist.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It's not a fictional book. It's a real book, whether you believe what it says or not. A fictional book would be a book that doesn't exist.
    My bad. Poor choice of words there. I should have said a work of fiction. Honestly, that probably isn't correct either. The best term to describe the Quran might be a personal manifesto.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    My bad. Poor choice of words there. I should have said a work of fiction. Honestly, that probably isn't correct either. The best term to describe the Quran might be a personal manifesto.
    Just messin'. Bored.