Thread: Retirees overseas??

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Retirees overseas??

I know when i lived in England and my dad was stationed there, as well as when i was stationed there retirees could shop at the BX/Commissary etc. I also remember active duty people had those ration cards for their booze and smokes.
    BUT what of retired folk? Do they get rationed for those products?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I know when i lived in England and my dad was stationed there, as well as when i was stationed there retirees could shop at the BX/Commissary etc. I also remember active duty people had those ration cards for their booze and smokes.
    BUT what of retired folk? Do they get rationed for those products?
    It depends.

Living in Germany, I can't go shopping at the BX or Commissary as a retiree unless I have a Zollamt card. That means that I have to pay the German government a 19% tax on any American items that I purchase. Never mind the fact that it is US tax payer dollars that pay for all items sold to be shipped to military installations overseas, but the German government doesn't pay one single dime whatsoever, and essentially robs us of our well-earned benefits. I see plenty of retirees or disabled vets who pop over for a visit to Ramstein and want to make a purchase at the Commissary, only to have their transactions denied (Customs & Immigrations on base are real dicks about the whole thing). The biggest crime is that OUR Congress allows this to happen.

Otherwise, I have to have some lousy job on base like NAF or GS if I want to still have the same bennies I had when I was active duty. Due to the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) of 1953, alcohol, tobacco, and coffee are still rationed, and if I wanna buy any on base, I get one through the logistical support provided from my job.

Except for AAFES. Those kidney thieves no longer provide logistical support.
    "Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****