Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disruptive threads

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Disruptive threads

How can a thread be considered disruptive when those who are actively involved can walk away anytime they want and those who aren't interested don't have to read or contribute? Who, exactly, does it disrupt?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    How can a thread be considered disruptive when those who are actively involved can walk away anytime they want and those who aren't interested don't have to read or contribute? Who, exactly, does it disrupt?
    Yeah, we wouldn't want a thread to actually get any traffic, would we. Back to sleep, AFT, back to sleep.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not mad. Admittedly, when you've got two people going back and forth who won't back down; sometimes a thread lock is necessary when neither of the two can be the bigger person and walk away. The mods did us a favor in ensuring that we both got of out there with our egos in tact.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I'm not mad. Admittedly, when you've got two people going back and forth who won't back down; sometimes a thread lock is necessary when neither of the two can be the bigger person and walk away. The mods did us a favor in ensuring that we both got of out there with our egos in tact.
    I'm not really questioning the closing of the thread. Just that it was called "dirsruptive" and I'm trying to figure out who it was disrupting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    When all that is being posted are insults then its time to reign in those posting not closing the thread. Why close a thread? Seems akin to 'one of you screwed up, you are going to be punished".

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I was only mildly annoyed by the thread closure because Rusty had just called me a Vulcan, and I didn't have time to give my snappy retort.

I was going to explain that my sterling logic makes his knees rattle,
    and his fingers pop!

Just like a pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock.

I even had a line about TJMAC, the Flintstone Cop.

Oh well, maybe next time.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    At the point that the activity stream is a fairly steady stream of personal back and forth between a couple of users, it may be disruptive, even if the discussion has not spilled over into other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I'm not mad. Admittedly, when you've got two people going back and forth who won't back down;
    Which it seems is where that conversation was at. At some point, if the conversation is just a personal back and forth that is trolling for response or insult then the conversation may need to be either brought back closer to the topic or halted.

And Happy Halloween everyone.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm so glad you got that psychology degree. Makes you a perfect fit to be an internet forum moderator.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    I'm so glad you got that psychology degree. Makes you a perfect fit to be an internet forum moderator.
    I think it is his Gear Scout Bowie Knife that gives him an edge as moderator.

The hardened carbon steel blade and impact resistant polymer handle are perfect for not only survival situations, but great for opening Gear Scout gourmet brand MREs.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    It probably over qualifies me.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.