Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disruptive threads

Administrator
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    When all that is being posted are insults then its time to reign in those posting not closing the thread. Why close a thread? Seems akin to 'one of you screwed up, you are going to be punished".
    We always run this risk. We tried this method in early 2013 - We tried identifying the worst offenders of a given personal attack. We tried to re-read threads to see "who started it."

Ultimately, a strategy in which we judge individuals and not threads, will always fail for two reasons:
    All the involved parties are usually at least partially to blame either because they started it, or finished it, right?
    And because whoever is targeted, we will be viewed as having made the wrong decision by someone.

So, our safest option is to judge the thread.

I'm open to your thoughts to the contrary on this strategy, however.
    - ForumAdmin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    We always run this risk. We tried this method in early 2013 - We tried identifying the worst offenders of a given personal attack. We tried to re-read threads to see "who started it."

Ultimately, a strategy in which we judge individuals and not threads, will always fail for two reasons:
    All the involved parties are usually at least partially to blame either because they started it, or finished it, right?
    And because whoever is targeted, we will be viewed as having made the wrong decision by someone.

So, our safest option is to judge the thread.

I'm open to your thoughts to the contrary on this strategy, however.

You don't have to read an entire thread that has descended to the trading of insults to figure out where the problem(s) are. When the posts an any thread with X topic contain only personal insults (usually referring to the sexual proclivities or maladies of the intended target) the math on that is pretty easy. If the target replies in kind he/she becomes part of the problem and the math is equally easy. I, in truth have disagreed with few bans (my own included). The time I called a poster a douche bag and got banned, I understood and accepted that (regardless how accurate my assessment was). If instead that thread had been simply closed that would have been a disservice to all MTF members.

We have a lot of discussions where points are countered and counter-countered. I don't view these as disruptive (of course as someone who is often caught up in those back-and-forths I suppose I have a biased opinion there). To me there is a difference between "you are wrong and this is why....................." and "I suppose you like penises in your butt I don't". Again, simple math.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thoughts on how to do better? Go back to how things worked 2 years ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    Thoughts on how to do better? Go back to how things worked 2 years ago.
    Minus the rep wars, I'd agree.
    Newton's First Law of Motion