Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the military housewives hold all (or most of) the cards in the relationship?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    However, that does nothing to prove that prostitution being legalized would make women "behave" better, nor is it about women, within a relationship, having the "upper hand", as they should, when it comes to deciding when it's time to have sex or not.
    In order for me to prove it to you, we would have to get into a time machine and go to a US military base in the Philippines back in the late 1980's. Unlimited numbers of prostitutes were available there at that time and the prices were rock bottom.

All that prostitution did affect the behavior of the female US military personnel. Some were very bitter about the sexual competition from the prostitutes. Others realized that they would simply have to be VERY nice in order to get any attention from men. I was amazed at the number of female US military personnel who flirted with me when I was in the Philippines back in the
    1980's. The good ole days.

Nope...I've seen several guys I've worked with get screwed when it comes to the money and custody. I've worked with a guy who's wife listed the names of 17 guys she slept with while he was deployed and still got custody and child support. There is no doubt that family law is on the side of the woman.
    So are you saying that women enjoy the "upper hand" in the family courts?
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    In order for me to prove it to you, we would have to get into a time machine and go to a US military base in the Philippines back in the late 1980's. Unlimited numbers of prostitutes were available there at that time and the prices were rock bottom.

All that prostitution did affect the behavior of the female US military personnel. Some were very bitter about the sexual competition from the prostitutes. Others realized that they would simply have to be VERY nice in order to get any attention from men. I was amazed at the number of female US military personnel who flirted with me when I was in the Philippines back in the
    1980's. The good ole days.
    As I said before, you cannot possibly relate a military base in the PI with normal every day society. You can't even equate a military base within the U.S. to normal society.

I've been deployed enough to know that guys are also "extremely nice" to the desert queens. It simply does not happen the same way in the civilian society.

Holy shit, dude. Are you really that daft? That's exactly what I'm saying. How many time do I need to say it? Does your quote of "upper hand" somehow trick me into admitting that my opinion in the other conversation is the same because the same words were used?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As I said before, you cannot possibly relate a military base in the PI with normal every day society. You can't even equate a military base within the U.S. to normal society.
    why not?

I've been deployed enough to know that guys are also "extremely nice" to the desert queens. It simply does not happen the same way in the civilian society.
    Why not?
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    why not?
    Because

Why not?
    Because

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Holy shit, dude. Are you really that daft? That's exactly what I'm saying. How many time do I need to say it? Does your quote of "upper hand" somehow trick me into admitting that my opinion in the other conversation is the same because the same words were used?
    If someone doesn't think women enjoy the upper hand in divorce and family courts, i would like to know who they feel DOES?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    As I said before, you cannot possibly relate a military base in the PI with normal every day society.
    Yeah, because of all the cheap prostitutes everywhere. THAT'S what makes the difference!
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Yeah, because of all the cheap prostitutes everywhere. THAT'S what makes the difference!
    Here's my issue. Any woman worth being with isn't going to change who she is for some guy who's going to go pay for sex with some used up hooker. Now, if you want to convince women with no self respect to treat you better then it might work. But a woman who's worth being in a relationship with? Not a chance.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Here's my issue. Any woman worth being with isn't going to change who she is for some guy who's going to go pay for sex with some used up hooker. Now, if you want to convince women with no self respect to treat you better then it might work. But a woman who's worth being in a relationship with? Not a chance.
    I'm going to respond to this in a thread that I just created specifically for prostition, so I don't take away from what USN-Retired is talking about here.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I am slightly necro-ing this

1. A military housewife is not obligated to have sex with her hubby (and I am okay with that)
    Neither is a non-military affiliated housewife.

2. A military housewife is not obligated to cook and clean for her hubby (and I am okay with that)

3. A military housewife is not legally obligated to do anything for her hubby (and I am okay with that)

4. A military service member has a legal obligation to financial support his wife. If a military service member withholds his paycheck from his wife, then he has committed an act of domestic violence. The military housewife has a legal right to her hubby's paycheck (that's the problem).
    True, and a non-military spouse also has a legal obligation to support his or her spouse. It may take longer to get enforced in court than via the military, but the obligation is there -- it happened to my brother with his first wife. Specific to the military, BAH is to provide housing for the dependant and more than once I have seen a military member drawing BAH for an estranged spouse relocate to the barracks.

If you have a happy life, then I am very happy for you. You do however seem to be totally oblivious to the many domestic problems that so many military service members face.
    I know you weren't asking me, but I would say: Oblivious, no ... definitely not overly sympathetic. True fact: military and civilians get the shaft from family courts. At the same time, a lot of people (military and civilian) get themselves into a bad marriage / situation (get married too early, marry someone that maybe isn't as committed as they are etc.) and the system is what it is. I almost married a gal who it turns out had no intention of moving from her hometown & I had no intention of living there indefinitely. I am glad we got that figured out before we got hitched.

Some of those who exit that bad situation have legitimate gripes about their situation, many come across as having a case of sour grapes.

Overall, dependent on the situation the male or female, active duty or spouse could be 'holding the cards.' Personally I could not tell you who in my marriage 'holds the cards' ... we have never competed for dominance in the relationship.
    Last edited by Stalwart; 11-12-2014 at 02:04 AM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah, I am positive that if I was willing to pay for sex from a prostitute, my wife would not be interested in me.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.