Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effects of Draw Down

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Effects of Draw Down

So the effects of the draw down have become evident now. One of the hardest hit career fields from the TERA/VSP/ERB/QFRB was security forces. Now the wing is requesting bodies from other squadrons for security forces augmentee. Coincidence?

Anyone else seen tangible effects from the force shaping measures?
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    So the effects of the draw down have become evident now. One of the hardest hit career fields from the TERA/VSP/ERB/QFRB was security forces. Now the wing is requesting bodies from other squadrons for security forces augmentee. Coincidence?

Anyone else seen tangible effects from the force shaping measures?
    Are these augmentees directly related? That's been going on for years at many bases. I did auggie duty 3 or 4 times since 2001, well before the TERA/VSP/ERB/QFRB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say that's pretty normal, considering the deployment tempo for Cops. They've always had augmentees, along with Civilians manning the gates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was an augmentee in 1993. Cops have always been whining about being undermanned, and who is going to be the comander to not send augmentees because he/she feels security isn't important?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mata Leao View Post
    I was an augmentee in 1993. Cops have always been whining about being undermanned, and who is going to be the comander to not send augmentees because he/she feels security isn't important?
    The basic requirement for SF augmentees is driven by manning requirements for increased security posture operations. It makes no sense to have a installation Security Force at such manning when many of the posts are not manned during normal operations.

They have also been used to plus up garrison SF units to fill gaps left by deployments of assigned cops overseas.

I don't know about 'whining' but I do know in my 25 plus years the cops were never manned above 86% total.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    The basic requirement for SF augmentees is driven by manning requirements for increased security posture operations. It makes no sense to have a installation Security Force at such manning when many of the posts are not manned during normal operations.

They have also been used to plus up garrison SF units to fill gaps left by deployments of assigned cops overseas.

I don't know about 'whining' but I do know in my 25 plus years the cops were never manned above 86% total.
    Would have loved to have augmentees when our shops were manned below 75%.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Would have loved to have augmentees when our shops were manned below 75%.
    Not sure what you do (or did) but SF augmentees can be posted with a relatively short train-up cycle. A few days and weapons qual in most cases. Can you get a Admin Spec up to par in your AFSC that easily?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Not sure what you do (or did) but SF augmentees can be posted with a relatively short train-up cycle. A few days and weapons qual in most cases. Can you get a Admin Spec up to par in your AFSC that easily?
    Sometimes all we need is a 2nd person to ride along for safety purposes. I can train a monkey to do that in about 30 minutes so, yeah, I can train a cop in a couple days.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Are these augmentees directly related? That's been going on for years at many bases. I did auggie duty 3 or 4 times since 2001, well before the TERA/VSP/ERB/QFRB.
    I did augee duty here right after 9/11 and I know it's somewhat common but they didn't ask for any last year and it was pretty intermittent at my last base. They basically stopped getting augees as years went on.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Literally every career field was and is undermanned. That play isn't really taken seriously anymore but is still used. In my 23 year, my career field always ran at about 75-80% AF wide, except in Korea. In Korea when we needed people the most at work, they were augementeed out. Not doing anything useful, just keeping the augee tradition alive.

Try getting a qualified/experienced avionics guy. Can't augementee that. Dedicated crew chief program, what's that? No sempathy for manning woes, sorry.