Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National language?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

National language?

Do you feel its time we as a country adopted a national language, like practically every other country in the world has done?
    If so, which language do you think it should be?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Do you feel its time we as a country adopted a national language, like practically every other country in the world has done?
    Honestly, I don't see the purpose. What would the national language do for us? We're getting by alright with one. The only outcome I could see from a national language would be a creation of more infighting related to it. If there is one thing we don't need, it's more infighting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Honestly, I don't see the purpose. What would the national language do for us? We're getting by alright with one. The only outcome I could see from a national language would be a creation of more infighting related to it. If there is one thing we don't need, it's more infighting.
    There would indeed be fighting and to be truthful we would have to actually have more than one official language (many ethnically diverse countries do) so I don't think anything would be accomplished by the move and certainly not what most proponents would seek.

Having said that I do think that we all need to acknowledge that a sense of assimilation is lacking in many minority communities. I think this drives much of the perceptions that drive these suggestions.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Yes, and Spanish.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Yes, and Spanish.
    Would have been much better if you had said "Si, y Espanol". It's all about timing and delivery.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Most estimates have non-Hispanic whites (English as a first language types for those keeping score) in the minority no later than 2035 so MM is right, Spanish might end up the official language of the US.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The question is "Is there a real need for making English the official language?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Most estimates have non-Hispanic whites (English as a first language types for those keeping score) in the minority no later than 2035 so MM is right, Spanish might end up the official language of the US.
    Why does everyone keep talking about Spanish being the National Language? The only reason people are even talking about it is because of the amount of Illegal Immigrants there are in the country and how many we keep allowing in everyday. But the majority of LEGAL Immigrants actually speak some form of English at some level.

Yes, English should be the NATIONAL Language except for in Puerto Rico, there it should be Spanish and English,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    The question is "Is there a real need for making English the official language?"
    Yes, there is a HUGE need for it. This is because it seems that every single day there is another assault on the English Language by Spanish speaking people. While the rest of the world uses English as a Working and Business Language.
    India has 1400 languages and there are only two National Languages, English and Hindi. I have seen people from different parts of India that could not communicate with each other in Hindi so they had to resort to using English. Also I have seen people from all parts of the globe use English as a means of conversing and working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    There would indeed be fighting and to be truthful we would have to actually have more than one official language (many ethnically diverse countries do) so I don't think anything would be accomplished by the move and certainly not what most proponents would seek.
    Having said that I do think that we all need to acknowledge that a sense of assimilation is lacking in many minority communities. I think this drives much of the perceptions that drive these suggestions.
    I agree with you. 100 years ago there was a sense of assimilation that people had to learn English to get ahead, all the while keeping their own culture and language. But now there is no sense of that and some people believe that the government should accommodate them.

That's why I hate living in California. I go to some places and people don't speak English at all, and assume my wife can speak it because she looks Hispanic. My wife is a Filipina and can speak 4 languages fluently but understand another one. Even if someone has an accent that's ok at least they can speak English. Hell, my neighbor's mother speaks english with a heavy mexican accent, but that's fine with me because at least she has learned it.