Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of using "retired" for those w/less than 20 yrs of service?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What's your opinion of using "retired" for those w/less than 20 yrs of service?

Personally, as a 21 yr service retired veteran.....I find it offensive. IMO "retired" should be a title bestowed upon those who did 20 yrs or more of service. If you you were "medically" retired or retired for any reason other than longevity, I feel some other title should be used or added to retired to differentiate. JMO

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    IMO, as a 24 year and still going veteran, I don't loose any status, pay or sleep when Cpl Kyle Carpenter, USMC retired (pictured below) is referred to as retired.

Cpl Kyle Carpenter, USMC retired
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have no problem with it. Retired, means you committed yourself to serving enough time in the military to earn a pension and its benefits. As long as you served honorably and met the requirement I don't see a difference, besides retirement pay, between someone retiring with 20, 24, 28, or 15 years of service.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    IMO, as a 24 year and still going veteran, I don't loose any status, pay or sleep when Cpl Kyle Carpenter, USMC retired (pictured below) is referred to as retired.

Cpl Kyle Carpenter, USMC retired
    This young man lost his right eye and most of his teeth. His jaw and right arm were shattered and he has undergone dozens of surgeries, and was medically retired.

It doesn't bother me one bit either.

I almost feel sorry for FatCat40, for saying such a dumb thing.

@FatCat40

You can roll back your OP, we know you didn't mean to say something so petty.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When DoD deems you eligible to be considered "retired," then you have rightfully earned that title. It may come at 20 years, 15 years (TERA), 30 or more years, or perhaps at age 65 if the rules change. As we bicker among ourselves about some magic TIS number, there are millions of people in this country who I'm sure would have no problem having us all wait to age 59 1/5...to receive our hard earned 401k annuity versus any pension.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCat40 View Post
    Personally, as a 21 yr service retired veteran.....I find it offensive. IMO "retired" should be a title bestowed upon those who did 20 yrs or more of service. If you you were "medically" retired or retired for any reason other than longevity, I feel some other title should be used or added to retired to differentiate. JMO
    "Retired" is not a "title bestowed"...it is a military status.

If that's the person's status, then that's what they are...there is more than one way to be placed in retired status.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    "Retired" is not a "title bestowed"...it is a military status.

If that's the person's status, then that's what they are...there is more than one way to be placed in retired status.
    Best explanation I have seen.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Longevity" retired and "medically" retired I get. However, someone that serves less than 20 years, and gets out on their own, or is involuntarily separated, to me, isn't "retired". Doesn't get any benefits or entitlements, they should be referred to as "separated", not "retired". If someone puts in 8 years and decides to get out and pursue something else, they're not "retired", they "separated", and should be referred to as such.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
    "Longevity" retired and "medically" retired I get. However, someone that serves less than 20 years, and gets out on their own, or is involuntarily separated, to me, isn't "retired". Doesn't get any benefits or entitlements, they should be referred to as "separated", not "retired". If someone puts in 8 years and decides to get out and pursue something else, they're not "retired", they "separated", and should be referred to as such.
    Veteran, that is the word you are looking for. Someone who voluntarily separates is a veteran. This is normally what I hear these people refer to themselves as. People who are retired regardless of reason are also veterans. I'm not really sure why the OP is getting his panties in a wad over the term retired. If your grandfather worked at General Motors until he was 72 and your dad only worked there until 50 then took an early buyout are they not both retired?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I am not aware of how someone voluntarily (or involuntarily) separates before being eligible for statutory retirement and is 'retired'.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.