Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Author Suggest Jesus Never Existed After Finding No Mention Of Him In Historical Text

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Who cares? It's posted. You either respond to it or ignore it. Your move.
    *Eats ice cream*
    [B]SSgt Mike / USMC[/B]

"Your mission in life, should you choose to accept it or not, in which this case you don't have a choice..." -SSgt Mike.

"Don't give fools a foolish answer, or you will be just like them. But answer fools as they should be answered, or they will think they are really wise." Proverbs 26:4-5.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by E4RUMOR View Post

Now, a fool is not someone who is ignorant of truth. A fool is someone who knows the truth, but chooses to disregard it.
    I put forth that followers of god are ignoring his true nature, as depicted in the scripture.

He is fanatically vain, homicidal, and vengeful; I know this, for the bible tells me so.

The Christian god is no more worthy of praise and worship than a blood thirsty volcano god.

Lastly, as a final illustration - think about how illogical it would be to demand an explanation or judge the very One who created you if you consider all His attributes. An ant has no quarrel with a boot, and yet you're of the mindset where if you're an ant, you would argue with a boot. Truly asinine, indeed.
    You call me asinine for arguing with the boot, but you want to praise and worship that boot?

Your analogy even sucks, go out with your boots and stomp on a few fire ants. They will make you think twice about playing god with them again.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I put forth that followers of god are ignoring his true nature, as depicted in the scripture.

He is fanatically vain, homicidal, and vengeful; I know this, for the bible tells me so.

The Christian god is no more worthy of praise and worship than a blood thirsty volcano god.

You call me asinine for arguing with the boot, but you want to praise and worship that boot?

Your analogy even sucks, go out with your boots and stomp on a few fire ants. They will make you think twice about playing god with them again.
    You're missing the point. Furthermore, could you be wrong about everything you know?

Frankly, if this is your biggest gripe concerning the entire observation I made, i.e., how much my analogy sucks, I'm not in the least bothered by your opinion. Especially when it's dependent upon how you answer the question above.
    [B]SSgt Mike / USMC[/B]

"Your mission in life, should you choose to accept it or not, in which this case you don't have a choice..." -SSgt Mike.

"Don't give fools a foolish answer, or you will be just like them. But answer fools as they should be answered, or they will think they are really wise." Proverbs 26:4-5.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    You're missing the point. Furthermore, could you be wrong about everything you know?

Frankly, if this is your biggest gripe concerning the entire observation I made, i.e., how much my analogy sucks, I'm not in the least bothered by your opinion. Especially when it's dependent upon how you answer the question above.
    I'll let you in on a secret, I don't think god is real.

Of course I could be wrong, but that was my whole point. If the Christian god is real, he doesn't deserve praise and worship. He is unworthy of it.

I came to that conclusion from the stories in the bible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll let you in on a secret, I don't think god is real.

Of course I could be wrong, but that was my whole point. If the Christian god is real, he doesn't deserve praise and worship. He is unworthy of it.

I came to that conclusion from the stories in the bible.
    I am reminded of a conversation involving Sam Harris and Dr. James White:

White:"But isn't the point that you can't second guess an Eternal Being and judge Him the way that you are?"

Silverman: "Oh no, I certainly can."

White: "You can?"

Silverman: "Oh, I certainly can."

White: "Even though you don't know what the future is. You're..How much, how much is all of knowledge..of human knowledge do you possess personally?"

Silverman: "You're asking me to judge..."

White: "I'm asking you a question, yeah."

Silverman: "How much knowledge I have?"

White: "How much ..what percentage of human knowledge do you possess?"

Silverman: "A very small percentage."

White: "Very small. And so on the basis of a small fraction of human knowledge... would you admit sir, that mankind knows a very small fraction of what there is to know?"

Silverman: "Yes."

White: "Okay. So based upon a infinitesimally small fraction of knowledge, you are willing to say you can judge the Eternal God as to what He does?"

Silverman: "Yes, I can."

You'll note Silverman has already made the admission that he knows very little knowledge in the expanse of human knowledge. However, in this hypothetical scenario where he momentarily acknowledges the existence of the God of the Bible, he STILL makes an illogical assertion: With his limited knowledge, he believes he still possesses the authority to judge the Creator of the Universe. To judge the One who possesses ALL knowledge (Past, Present, and Future. The One from whom knowledge flows.

That is a completely illogical decision. Let me tell where that decision comes from: Volition. Emotion.

You make a statement about God, claiming to deny His existence. However, your rants declare the opposite. Absinthe, due to the love of your sin, and your desire to hold on to it, you suppress the God you know created you. In effect, you HATE God.

I don't believe in the unicorn, flying spaghetti monster, Santa Clause, or the tooth fairy. I don't believe in Allah, Ra, Zeus, etc.,. Ergo, they really mean nothing to me. They stir zero emotion. We have a society that tells tales about everyone of them.. some more in depth than others - Yet you won't hear me making a rant about them. Why? Because they really don't exist. Suffice to say - You don't get angry about something which doesn't exist.

However, through scripture, God reminds you, the Universe and all in it are His. You are HIS creation. He reminds you that you are the clay, and He is the potter. He reminds you before you were formed in the womb, HE knew you. He reminds you He is the One who gave you life and breath. And you despise that.

Do to your admitting you could be wrong about everything you know (which follows your worldview), how can you judge God, anyway? It's YOUR interpretation; but according to you, that interpretation could be wrong. Why would I give any credit to your perceived attributes of God or interpretation of Scripture when you have essentially given up all knowledge?

Furthermore, God is the Ultimate Judge. Not you. I will not place you in His position and put him in the Defendant Box.

Lastly, I'm going to let YOU in on something using an analogy:

Suppose a guy loves a girl. He professes it to her by sending cards, flowers, chocolates, etc.,.

Now the girl responds, and she's says, "I like you, but only as a ..... Friend."

Any guy reading this knows that's like sticking a knife in the heart and twisting it. The guy doesn't catch the hint, and keeps persisting his love. The girl keeps denying his advances. Finally, the guy says, "I love you so much, I'm going to force you to love me!"

Does that work? Nope. Love has to be freely given. If the guy really loved the girl, what would he do? He'd let her go.

God does the same with you, Absinthe. He sent you His Son, Jesus, who died on the Cross for your sins. However, if you choose to deny Him, He'll let you. And that's real love. Letting you go on your own way, refusing to acknowledge His existence - even if it leads to your eternal separation from Him. Hell.

And what's real hell to someone who hates God? Being separated for all eternity, or being forced to spend eternity with Him?

I'd say the latter.
    Last edited by E4RUMOR; 10-30-2014 at 05:51 AM.
    [B]SSgt Mike / USMC[/B]

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    The Truth Does not conform to the ways of man or the doctrine of the world

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Suppose a guy loves a girl. He professes it to her by sending cards, flowers, chocolates, etc.,.

Now the girl responds, and she's says, "I like you, but only as a ..... Friend."

Any guy reading this knows that's like sticking a knife in the heart and twisting it. The guy doesn't catch the hint, and keeps persisting his love. The girl keeps denying his advances. Finally, the guy says, "I love you so much, I'm going to force you to love me!"

Does that work? Nope. Love has to be freely given. If the guy really loved the girl, what would he do? He'd let her go.

God does the same with you, Absinthe. He sent you His Son, Jesus, who died on the Cross for your sins. However, if you choose to deny Him, He'll let you. And that's real love. Letting you go on your own way, refusing to acknowledge His existence - even if it leads to your eternal separation from Him. Hell.

And what's real hell to someone who hates God? Being separated for all eternity, or being forced to spend eternity with Him?

I'd say the latter.
    I already know where AA is going to go with this one. Truthfully it's more like God is a jealous man. He gives the girl two options. 1.) You will love and worship me or 2.) I will murder and torture you.

Using your analogy AA is the girl and rejects God. At that point God says if you won't be with me I refuse to let you be happy with anyone else. God then murders AA.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I am reminded of a conversation involving Sam Harris and Dr. James White:

White:"But isn't the point that you can't second guess an Eternal Being and judge Him the way that you are?"

Silverman: "Oh no, I certainly can."

White: "You can?"

Silverman: "Oh, I certainly can."

White: "Even though you don't know what the future is. You're..How much, how much is all of knowledge..of human knowledge do you possess personally?"

Silverman: "You're asking me to judge..."

White: "I'm asking you a question, yeah."

Silverman: "How much knowledge I have?"

White: "How much ..what percentage of human knowledge do you possess?"

Silverman: "A very small percentage."

White: "Very small. And so on the basis of a small fraction of human knowledge... would you admit sir, that mankind knows a very small fraction of what there is to know?"

Silverman: "Yes."

White: "Okay. So based upon a infinitesimally small fraction of knowledge, you are willing to say you can judge the Eternal God as to what He does?"

Silverman: "Yes, I can."

You'll note Silverman has already made the admission that he knows very little knowledge in the expanse of human knowledge. However, in this hypothetical scenario where he momentarily acknowledges the existence of the God of the Bible, he STILL makes an illogical assertion: With his limited knowledge, he believes he still possesses the authority to judge the Creator of the Universe. To judge the One who possesses ALL knowledge (Past, Present, and Future. The One from whom knowledge flows.

That is a completely illogical decision. Let me tell where that decision comes from: Volition. Emotion.

You make a statement about God, claiming to deny His existence. However, your rants declare the opposite. Absinthe, due to the love of your sin, and your desire to hold on to it, you suppress the God you know created you. In effect, you HATE God.

I don't believe in the unicorn, flying spaghetti monster, Santa Clause, or the tooth fairy. I don't believe in Allah, Ra, Zeus, etc.,. Ergo, they really mean nothing to me. They stir zero emotion. We have a society that tells tales about everyone of them.. some more in depth than others - Yet you won't hear me making a rant about them. Why? Because they really don't exist. Suffice to say - You don't get angry about something which doesn't exist.

However, through scripture, God reminds you, the Universe and all in it are His. You are HIS creation. He reminds you that you are the clay, and He is the potter. He reminds you before you were formed in the womb, HE knew you. He reminds you He is the One who gave you life and breath. And you despise that.

Do to your admitting you could be wrong about everything you know (which follows your worldview), how can you judge God, anyway? It's YOUR interpretation; but according to you, that interpretation could be wrong. Why would I give any credit to your perceived attributes of God or interpretation of Scripture when you have essentially given up all knowledge?

Furthermore, God is the Ultimate Judge. Not you. I will not place you in His position and put him in the Defendant Box.

I'd say the latter.
    I am judging god by his book of teachings that he supposedly left for us.
    It is the only way he has ever seen fit to communicate with humanity as far as I can see.

So yes, of course I judge it and him. So do you.

If he is so smart, then why are there so many fundamental flaws in his book?

He acted as a barbaric tyrant in the Old Testament, and not much better in the New Testament.

Don't tell me that you also don't judge certain aspects of the Christain bible, because I am sure there are certain parts that you choose to ignore.

Yes, I judge the so called word of god, and I'm sure you do too. Which denomination did you choose? You made a judgement right there, didn't you?

If god is so perfect, then why can't he figure out a better way to communicate his message to us lowly mortals?

Surely a being that has all knowledge, as you claim, could have put a bible on the earth that isn't so controversial and been transcribed in so many different languages that it sparks so much disagreement. We have all these different sects of Christainity because of how the bible evolved over the development of the Christain Church.

New versions and new translations are even being written right now.

BTW, you said you don't believe in Allah. You do realize that the god of Islam and the god of Christainity are the same, don't you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Here's an article on this subject from an extremely reliable media source...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rec...-2000-y,36936/
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    BTW, you said you don't believe in Allah. You do realize that the god of Islam and the god of Christainity are the same, don't you?
    Watch out; he's probably going to come back with the "moon god" thing that so many fundies actually buy into (but has been debunked time and again).
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males