Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Author Suggest Jesus Never Existed After Finding No Mention Of Him In Historical Text

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Author Suggest Jesus Never Existed After Finding No Mention Of Him In Historical Text

I saw this article in my facebook feed:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/10...torical-texts/
    In an article published by the Council for Secular Humanism, historical researcher and author Michael Paulkovich claims that Jesus of Nazareth “never existed” and is a “mythical character.”

Paulkovich, who dedicated his book “No Meek Messiah: Christianity’s Lies, Laws and Legacy” to disproving Jesus’ existence, says that out of the 126 historical texts he examined from the first to third centuries, not a single one referenced the prominent religious figure. Paulkovich believes that if the stories of Jesus had been true, the authors of Jesus’ time would have been writing about his “global miracles and alleged worldwide fame.”

In the article titled “The Fable of The Christ,” Paulkovich refers to Jesus as a fictional character that Christian followers made up so that they had someone to worship. Although Paulkovich admits that he did find mention of Jesus in the 95 AD “The Jewish Wars” by Roman historian Josephus Flavius, he believes Jesus was added in much later by editors of Flavius’ work.

Paulkovich wrote:

“When I consider those 126 writers, all of whom should have heard of Jesus but did not, and Paul and Marcion and Athenagoras and Matthew with a tetralogy of opposing Christs, the silence from Qumran and Nazareth and Bethlehem, conflicting Bible stories, and so many other mysteries and omissions, I must conclude this ‘Jesus Christ’ is a mythical character. ‘Jesus of Nazareth’ was nothing more than urban (or desert) legend, likely an agglomeration of several evangelic and deluded rabbis who might have existed.” (source)
    These 126 writers, which Paulkovich refers to as “The Silent Historians,” are all listed below:

Paulkovich also claims that Paul, the apostle most credited for spreading Christianity, has never actually referred to Jesus as a real, physical being.

“Paul is unaware of the virgin mother, and ignorant of Jesus’ nativity, parentage, life events, ministry, miracles, apostles, betrayal, trial and harrowing passion. Paul knows neither where nor when Jesus lived, and considers the crucifixion metaphorical.” (source)
    Paulkovich regards the stories of Jesus as “oral legend” and a “hoax.” The controversial researcher also refers to Christianity as a “cult” and is hopeful that one day the spreading of “nonsense to children” will be stopped. He also calls the religious teachings “child abuse.”

“The cult of Christianity has an incalculable amount of blood on its hands. And the ‘Jesus’ tale seems to have been nothing more than oral legend, with plenty of hoax and fraud perpetrated along the ages. It is my hope that mankind will someday grow up and relegate the Jesus tales to the same stewing pile that contains Zeus and his son Hercules, roiling away in their justifiable status as mere myth.

The time to stop teaching the tall tales and nonsense to children, frightening them with eternal torture administered by God’s minions, has long ago passed. Parents who do so are likely deluded, and most surely are guilty of child abuse of the worst sort.” (source)
    Echoing these remarks, the description of Paulkovich’s book “No Meek Messiah” reads:
    I saw this article in my facebook feed:

“The book chronicles the cobbling of Christianity, its outrageous forgeries, and its immoral acts of torture, genocide, and obfuscation over the many centuries. The ‘virgin birth’ tale was a forgery perpetrated 250 years before Jesus, even admitted by the Catholic Encyclopedia.” (source)
    Paulkovich is not alone in his theory. Richard Dawkins, atheist and author of “The God Delusion,” has previously described the evidence for Jesus’ existence as “shaky.” Just last year, self-proclaimed Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill said that Jesus was manufactured by Roman aristocrats in a government effort to control citizens — a plot he speaks about in his book, “Caesar’s Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus.”

The vast majority of theologians and scholars still hold the opinion that Jesus as a person did exist — even if he was a mere man instead of a Christian savior. There is even an atheist who disagrees with Paulkovich’s claims that Jesus was a fictional character. While we search for answers, there is no question that Paulkovich has riled up a storm within the Christian community, and this won’t be the last time we hear of his comments.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Interesting comment someone made on the facebook post of that article:

This true this is the absolute truth. Jesus was never mentioned in any Historical text.. The entire NT is a lie, Hell it does not even agree with each other. I can just show by example here.
    Contradictions in the New Testament (Does G-d not know what he said or wanted to say?)
    The announcement of the special birth came before conception. Lk.1:26-31.
    The announcement of the special birth came after conception. Mt.1:18-21.

Jesus’ parents were told of their son’s future greatness. Mt.1:18-21; Lk.1:28-35.
    Jesus’ parents knew nothing of their son’s potential. Lk.2:48-50.
    The angel told Joseph. Mt.1:20.
    The angel told Mary. Lk.1:28.

There were 28 generations from David to Jesus. Mt.1:17.
    There were 43 generations from David to Jesus. Lk.3:23-31.
    If this were both parents then they would have lived about 100-200 years apart from
    each other as well!

Jacob was Joseph’s father. Mt.1:16.
    Heli was Joseph’s father. Lk.3:23.
    Christians state because Heli was his Father-in-law, this has nothing to do with
    bloodline and would not be listed in a bloodline tie to King David!

He was to be called Emmanuel. Mt.1:23.
    He was called Jesus. Mt.1:25.

Joseph, Mary, and Jesus flee to Egypt while Herod slaughters all males under
    2 years old. Mt.2:13-16. (Note: Jesus’ cousin, John, was also under 2 and
    survived without having to flee.)
    Joseph, Mary, and Jesus did not flee to Egypt, but remained for temple rituals.
    No slaughter of infants is mentioned! Lk.2:21-39.

Jesus was tempted during the 40 days in the wilderness. Mk.1:13.
    Jesus was tempted after the 40 days in the wilderness. Mt.4:2,3.

The devil first took Jesus to the pinnacle, then to the mountain top. Mt.4:5-8.
    The devil first took Jesus to the mountain top, then to the pinnacle. Lk.4:5-9.

Satan tempted Jesus. Mt.4:1-10; Mk.1:13; Lk.4:1,2.
    Satan had no interest in Jesus. Jn.14:30.

The baptism of Jesus was with the “Holy Ghost”. Mk.1:8; Jn.1:33.
    Fire was also added to the baptism. Mt.3:11; Lk.3:16.

John knew of Jesus before he baptized him. Mt.3:11-13; Jn.1:28,29.
    John knew nothing of Jesus at all. Mt.11:1-3.

Jesus begins his ministry after John’s arrest. Mk.1:13,14.
    Jesus begins his ministry before John’s arrest. Jn.3:22-24.

It is recorded that Jesus saw the spirit descending. Mt.3:16; Mk.1:10.
    It is recorded that John saw the spirit descending. Jn.1:32.

The heavenly voice addressed the gathering. Mt.3:17.
    The heavenly voice addressed Jesus. Mk.1:11; Lk.3:22.

Immediately after the baptism, Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness. Mt.4:1,2; Mk.1:12,13.
    Three days after the baptism, Jesus was at the wedding in Cana. Jn.2:1. (and the list goes on and on)
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That does it...now I'm an Atheist.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Just to point out one verse...The John 14:30 reference does not say Satan has no interest. What is says is that Satan has no hold over Jesus.

When I have some time I'll look through the rest.

Just after reading quickly through a couple of the comparisons, I'll say this. Don't trust Facebook posts.

One more....nowhere does it say he was the son of Heli. It says he was the son of Joseph, who was the son of Heli.

It's almost comical.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 10-03-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And speaking of comical:

The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    And speaking of comical:

In defense of Christians, the presense of ice giants was made manifest through winter weather. So if one were of the Asatru religion, he or she would still believe that ice giants currently exist.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Even if I were to pretend that the bible is true, I can find plenty of reasons to reject the god of the Old Testament and God 2.0 that was rebooted in the New Testament.

If this deity is what the scriptures claim, he doesn't deserve to be worshiped. He should be resisted, we should rise in revolt against his murderous and bloodthirsty plan for humanity.

A god that would drown his creation with a great flood, is hardly a Heavenly Father that deserves our admiration and respect. He then offers us rainbows as a promise not to drown us again? That sounds too much like a wife beater who comes back home with a bouquet of flowers to assure his battered wife that he won't do it again.

You want to pray to a fucking monster that does shit like that?

Heck, he even leaves to door open to more violence, promising that he won't pull another act of genocide with water, next time he will use fire!

Fuck you god! That sucks, and on judgement day, right before you banish me to an enternity in hell, I'm going to give you a stern reprimand.

Sure, you sent us a mellowed out and sometimes poetic Jesus some 2000 years ago, but you still left us with your threat of mass destruction hanging over our heads.

The book of Revelations caps off your holy book with such grand promises of trials and tribulations, the epic battle of Armageddon, judgement day, and the final destruction of the earth with the apocalypse.

It must be boring as fuck up in heaven, if this asshole has the create so much fucking drama down here on Earth to entertain his holy ass.

He is a sick and twisted god. His cruelty knows no bounds. He is vengeful, prone to fits of rage, and one hell of a lousy communicator.

The message in his holy book is so fucking confusing that we have all these different sects of Christainity because it can be interpreted in so many different ways.

I say verily unto you Christains, join me on judgement day to give god a stern reprimand.

Does he really deserve to be followed unquestionly? Just look at his track record.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Either way, just making a point that the contradictions cited in the OP are not worded in the bible as stated. Just another sad person with a failed attempt to disprove Christian beliefs by stating subjective interpretations as the only interpretation.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Does he really deserve to be followed unquestionly? Just look at his track record.
    What I want to know is, why would he need it? One common chant in Christianity is "praise the Lord."

Why praise the Lord? Does he need your moral support? He's an omnipotent being, for crying out loud! Why does he need your praise? For that matter, why does he even need your worship? Why would an omnipotent want for anything?

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Either way, just making a point that the contradictions cited in the OP are not worded in the bible as stated. Just another sad person with a failed attempt to disprove Christian beliefs by stating subjective interpretations as the only interpretation.
    Either way, you are willfully ignoring the muderous monster described in the bible. You choose to see him as all loving and peaceful, yet his book proudly lists such murderous deeds in the passages that actually have a bit of clarity.

Have fun worshiping your monster.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...