Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Author Suggest Jesus Never Existed After Finding No Mention Of Him In Historical Text

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    What I want to know is, why would he need it? One common chant in Christianity is "praise the Lord."

Why praise the Lord? Does he need your moral support? He's an omnipotent being, for crying out loud! Why does he need your praise? For that matter, why does he even need your worship? Why would an omnipotent want for anything?
    Great point!

After so many years struggling over to believe in him or not, I came to the following conclusion.

If the story told in the bible is true, then we are nothing but mere playthings for him. Some sort of amusement that he created for his pleasure.

Then he wants to test and judge us?

What an asshole! Really, a cosmically tremendous asshole!

I have no problem admitting that I thoroughly resent being a flesh and blood version of a GI Joe doll for some fucking lunatic omnipotent god to play with in his backyard.

He really needs a spanking for being so damn naughty to his pets, or whatever the fuck we are.

How does one look at the concept of God, and not see that?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Either way, you are willfully ignoring the muderous monster described in the bible. You choose to see him as all loving and peaceful, yet his book proudly lists such murderous deeds in the passages that actually have a bit of clarity.

Have fun worshiping your monster.
    I'm not going to engage too much on this, other than to say that the bible, in fact, teaches us that God was very vengeful and very jealous. To me, if a book was trying to hide anything, it would have avoided that fact. Also, it would seem to me that if the New Testament was false and was merely trying to control us, then it wouldn't have been all about us not having to be perfect.

Either way, back to my original point, the verses in the OP that were apparently meant to prove, or disprove, something failed miserably. But it was on Facebook, so maybe if you forward/share it you will receive $5000.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Great point!

After so many years struggling over to believe in him or not, I came to the following conclusion.

If the story told in the bible is true, then we are nothing but mere playthings for him. Some sort of amusement that he created for his pleasure.

Then he wants to test and judge us?

What an asshole! Really, a cosmically tremendous asshole!

I have no problem admitting that I thoroughly resent being a flesh and blood version of a GI Joe doll for some fucking lunatic omnipotent god to play with in his backyard.

He really needs a spanking for being so damn naughty to his pets, or whatever the fuck we are.

How does one look at the concept of God, and not see that?
    What I would resent, if I were you, is going through your life knowing that there's nothing for you once you die so there is really no purpose to your life. I would resent knowing that it doesn't make a difference how I act, whether I'm kind or not, because my life is only 80 years out of billions and billions and has zero impact on anything. That's what I would resent. Mother nature is a bitch.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I'm not going to engage too much on this, other than to say that the bible, in fact, teaches us that God was very vengeful and very jealous. To me, if a book was trying to hide anything, it would have avoided that fact. Also, it would seem to me that if the New Testament was false and was merely trying to control us, then it wouldn't have been all about us not having to be perfect.

Either way, back to my original point, the verses in the OP that were apparently meant to prove, or disprove, something failed miserably. But it was on Facebook, so maybe if you forward/share it you will receive $5000.
    You only disputed one contradiction, and it was due to misreading what was said in that post. It was talking about who the father of Joseph was, not who raised Jesus.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    What I would resent, if I were you, is going through your life knowing that there's nothing for you once you die so there is really no purpose to your life. I would resent knowing that it doesn't make a difference how I act, whether I'm kind or not, because my life is only 80 years out of billions and billions and has zero impact on anything. That's what I would resent. Mother nature is a bitch.
    Your behavior matters in the here and now. It makes a difference to your fellow humans how you act, right now.

Are you telling me that you are only kind and gentle with others, because of a promise of reward or punishment in the afterlife?

That doesn't sound very noble to me. Actually, that sounds as fucked up as a god playing with us like we are his toys.

You two deserve each other. Maybe in the afterlife, you'll join him in his heavenly backyard and you two can burn ants with a magnifying glass, or blow up a few frogs with firecrackers.

Nope.

I'd rather live in a universe free from that fucking childish tyrant.

I'd rather be as fleeting as a flower bloom, or a butterfly. The notion that our lives are nothing but a mere flash against the backdrop of eternity makes me feel all the more special.

It makes the ugliness that I have seen more tolerable, and the beauty more intense.

I don't want to be a slave to god, I don't want to praise him for sending tornadoes that maim and kill families.

If it turns out that you are right, and that god is real. I truly hope that I have the courage to confront him about all of this on judgement day. How can you not see him as a childish monster?

The universe without him is truly spectacular, and our short lives are immensely more special.

Our behavior and treatment of others in a kind way is even more crucial without the concept of an afterlife!

Can you not see that?

Can you not see that the silly notion of a paradise, deludes and corrupts the mind?

Ask your god to create an account on the MTF and explain why I should bow down to him. Please, I'm serious. We all know that he can put me on my knees with cancer, or send a city bus into the side of my SUV, any time he chooses.

What he won't do is explain his fucking absurd plan to us. No! He has to be mysterious about it. Truly, what an incredible asshole god is.

Have a nice weekend brother SJ!

Sincerely...
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Go back and read my post again, please. I didn't claim the bible was trying to hide God's jealousy or vengence. I pointed out that it is one of the few areas that are abundently clear.

What I asked, is for you to ponder what that says about the character and nature of God.

My point is, if he is real, he isn't worthy of praise or worship.

I am making a claim that he is a monster. If real, he is more powerful than me, but that alone does not gain my praise. He can't buy me off with the promise of heaven, nor can he scare me into worship with the threat of hell.

Like I said before, have fun praying to your monsterous bully.

I've give you that the NT Jesus is a bit more palatable, but as a teacher, he was annoyingly cryptic, and squandered his miracles turning water into wine.

Why not leave us a bible that is a bit easier to understand? Now that would be a miracle!

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Hmmm, I can only conclude that even Jesus is in cahoots with the jealous and vengeful OT monster.

Thanks, but no thanks. I refuse to follow that ridiculous myth.

But please do have a nice weekend!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I have joked a few times about the differences in God in the Old Testament and God in the New Testament; how it seems got a bit soft after having a kid ... as most of us do --

Big picture is that proving God exists is about as futile as trying to prove he doesn't; it is a concept that is beyond the material and extends into faith beyond what we can touch, see and feel.

AA is right; my belief in God has nothing to do with how I treat people here and now. I don't try to be a good person to secure a place in the afterlife, but because I think being a good person is better than the alternative.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    “If there is any religion that could respond to the needs of modern science, it would be Buddhism.” ~Albert Einstein.

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." ~Dalai Lama
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    What I asked, is for you to ponder what that says about the character and nature of God.

My point is, if he is real, he isn't worthy of praise or worship.
    Subjective.

I am making a claim that he is a monster. If real, he is more powerful than me, but that alone does not gain my praise. He can't buy me off with the promise of heaven, nor can he scare me into worship with the threat of hell.

Like I said before, have fun praying to your monsterous bully.
    So which is it? Is he a monstrous bully, and that's why you hate him, or does he not exist, which is why you don't believe in him?

I've give you that the NT Jesus is a bit more palatable, but as a teacher, he was annoyingly cryptic, and squandered his miracles turning water into wine.

Why not leave us a bible that is a bit easier to understand? Now that would be a miracle!
    Because that would remove the need for faith.

Thanks, but no thanks. I refuse to follow that ridiculous myth.
    As do I with the myth of evolution...I mean...the theory.

But please do have a nice weekend!
    I will, indeed. I'll say a nice prayer for you.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post

AA is right; my belief in God has nothing to do with how I treat people here and now. I don't try to be a good person to secure a place in the afterlife, but because I think being a good person is better than the alternative.
    I agree completely, and am not a "just in case" believer. Seems silly to be such as thing since it's not our actions alone, but our intentions, that will be judged.