Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Civil Rights Leaders Demand Apology From Daniele Watts For Using Race Card

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Civil Rights Leaders Demand Apology From Daniele Watts For Using Race Card

    Civil Rights leaders are demanding an apology from Daniele Watts (pictured right) after her recent detainment, the New York Daily News reports.

    RELATED: Actress Detained By LAPD Refuses To Apologize

    Witnesses called police September 14th, alleging Watts was engaged in a lewd act with celebrity chef husband Brian Lucas (pictured) in their car in Los Angeles. When an officer arrived to investigate, Watts went into a tirade about how she was detained because she was making out with her White husband.

    However, TMZ released pictures showing Watts straddling Lucas soon after, lending credence to witnesses’ claims. One witness who spoke with TMZ said Watts’ breasts were exposed and she was grinding atop her husband.

    This “evidence” is why leaders are demanding an apology.

    “Civil rights leaders in Los Angeles are demanding that she apologize to the officers and community because when she made the allegations of racial profiling, which we take extremely seriously, we were in the forefront of speaking up for her,” said Najee Ali, president of Project Islamic Hope.

    Watts’ actions took attention away from real racial issues, according to renowned media critic Earl Ofari Hutchinson.

    “I was one that was very outspoken about it,” Hutchinson, who initially supported Watts, recently told reporters. “We take racial profiling very seriously. It’s not a play thing. It’s not trivial.”

    The leaders may have to wait a while. Watts has refused to apologize for the incident. She also maintains that she didn’t have to present the officer with ID.

    “It is a constitutional right that we do not have to present ID to any member of law enforcement unless we are being charged with a crime,” the actress said in a recent statement via publicist.
    http://newsone.com/3053817/civil-rig...ing-race-card/
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    WJ5 is gonna LOVE this, as well as anyone who keeps asking "Where are the civil rights leaders whenever THIS happens, or THAT happens."

    I almost applaud these guys. ALMOST. I think that what they're doing is a necessary thing, but notice that it's a NewsOne article - so very few non-blacks are even going to know about it. Also, consider the fact that - in the end - they're doing this in hopes that legitimate complaints of racism are viewed with more credibility... or seeking validation from those who've already written them off. Not only will it not work, but this is pretty submissive behavior - which doesn't help their situation.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  3. #3
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    WJ5 is gonna LOVE this, as well as anyone who keeps asking "Where are the civil rights leaders whenever THIS happens, or THAT happens."

    I almost applaud these guys. ALMOST. I think that what they're doing is a necessary thing, but notice that it's a NewsOne article - so very few non-blacks are even going to know about it. Also, consider the fact that - in the end - they're doing this in hopes that legitimate complaints of racism are viewed with more credibility... or seeking validation from those who've already written them off. Not only will it not work, but this is pretty submissive behavior - which doesn't help their situation.
    I actually do applaud the reaction of the civil rights group because I think they are fighting the cry-wolf syndrome (which is a natural reaction if a racial aspect is attached to a story when all the facts are as yet unknown; other than the race(s) of the individual(s) involved).

    I am confused by your expanded remarks though. Who is engaging in 'submissive behavior' and how so? Also, are you blaming the news outlet because other news outlets which reach the black community won't carry the story?

    I also think the actress should go back to school and take some actual classes.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I actually do applaud the reaction of the civil rights group because I think they are fighting the cry-wolf syndrome (which is a natural reaction if a racial aspect is attached to a story when all the facts are as yet unknown; other than the race(s) of the individual(s) involved).

    I am confused by your expanded remarks though. Who is engaging in 'submissive behavior' and how so?
    The civil rights groups. It's difficult for me to explain, but let me give you another example of this type of behavior:

    Recently, I've noticed that there are young black people now defending Al Sharpton; but I think that this is reactionary to what's been going on lately: every time I'm on facebook and I see a news channel featuring an article on a crime where the perpetrator is black and shows the mugshot, the FIRST comment mentioning race is someone suggesting that Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson is going to get involved.

    For well over 20 years, black people have been trying to say that they do not support Al Sharpton, agree with Al Sharpton, and believe that he's a media attention whore.

    But... the comments like the one above keep coming.

    The reason I believe that young people now defending him are reactionary is because... I think that people have stated time and again that they're not supporters of Al Sharpton until they're blue in the face, and it just doesn't matter. It falls on deaf ears. Furthermore, while it may be true that they don't support Al Sharpton - by constantly reminding them that they don't support Al Sharpton, they were seeking approval from people who already judged them in the first place.

    I can't help but feel that these civil rights leaders are doing something similar.

    Also, are you blaming the news outlet because other news outlets which reach the black community won't carry the story?
    No, I'm saying that what they're trying to do - i.e., get all of America to see that civil rights leaders are against (mis)use of the "race card" - is going to fail, BECAUSE this story is only on news outlets for the black community. In other words, the only whites who will see this story are the ones who read NewsOne. It's nobody's fault if the story isn't big enough to make it to more mainstream outlets; I'm just saying that this isn't likely to make the impact that they wanted.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 09-25-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  5. #5
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    No, I'm saying that what they're trying to do - i.e., get all of America to see that civil rights leaders are against (mis)use of the "race card" - is going to fail, BECAUSE this story is only on news outlets for the black community.
    I hope you are wrong. I think this sort of action, if made "national", would go a long way to get many whites from throwing out the Al Sharpton comments. Unfortunately, as you said, it doesn't make national media unless it's a story which can be looked on in a negative light.

    Just as with the recent feminism speech by Emma Watson, which was done in a way as to not alienate anyone (except for the small minority who are always going to oppose), more publicity for civil rights groups coming across as accepting of everyone instead of "anti" anyone, it's the only way I can see real progress being made.

  6. #6
    Senior Member USN - Retired's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Posts
    702
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Civil rights leaders won't support Daniele Watts because her husband is white. It is obvious that the civil rights leaders consider Daniele Watts to be a traitor to the black race because she married a white guy. The cops who harassed her are probably racial bigots who didn't like seeing a black woman getting frisky with a white guy.
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

  7. #7
    Senior Member USN - Retired's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Posts
    702
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones' signature box
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people." ~Paul Ryan
    Paul Ryan did make this statement, but if you watch the longer video clip you can tell it was a slip of the tongue. The sentence right before this quote he claims certain policies are destroying the healthcare system and he wants to stop those. Then this sentence just appears to be accidentally missing a few words, something along the lines of "We're not going to give up on [stopping what we believe is] destroying the health care system..."

    http://quotefail.com/quote/paul-ryan...troying-health

    Rusty is trying to mislead us (again).
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

  8. #8
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    The civil rights groups. It's difficult for me to explain, but let me give you another example of this type of behavior:

    Recently, I've noticed that there are young black people now defending Al Sharpton; but I think that this is reactionary to what's been going on lately: every time I'm on facebook and I see a news channel featuring an article on a crime where the perpetrator is black and shows the mugshot, the FIRST comment mentioning race is someone suggesting that Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson is going to get involved.

    For well over 20 years, black people have been trying to say that they do not support Al Sharpton, agree with Al Sharpton, and believe that he's a media attention whore.

    But... the comments like the one above keep coming.

    The reason I believe that young people now defending him are reactionary is because... I think that people have stated time and again that they're not supporters of Al Sharpton until they're blue in the face, and it just doesn't matter. It falls on deaf ears. Furthermore, while it may be true that they don't support Al Sharpton - by constantly reminding them that they don't support Al Sharpton, they were seeking approval from people who already judged them in the first place.

    I can't help but feel that these civil rights leaders are doing something similar.



    No, I'm saying that what they're trying to do - i.e., get all of America to see that civil rights leaders are against (mis)use of the "race card" - is going to fail, BECAUSE this story is only on news outlets for the black community. In other words, the only whites who will see this story are the ones who read NewsOne. It's nobody's fault if the story isn't big enough to make it to more mainstream outlets; I'm just saying that this isn't likely to make the impact that they wanted.
    Ahhh, I see. I understand about where the story appears. I am not sure I agree that it won't do any good if only black people see the story but I do understand what you are saying.

    I have to say that I can't ever, ever recall seeing a story where a black person denigrates either Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    Civil rights leaders won't support Daniele Watts because her husband is white. It is obvious that the civil rights leaders consider Daniele Watts to be a traitor to the black race because she married a white guy. The cops who harassed her are probably racial bigots who didn't like seeing a black woman getting frisky with a white guy.
    All those black athletes with white wives that civil rights leaders have supported, and you bring THIS up?

    Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, THIS is exactly why I think that the efforts of the civil rights groups are wasted. And I've already said this.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  10. #10
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    All those black athletes with white wives that civil rights leaders have supported, and you bring THIS up?

    Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, THIS is exactly why I think that the efforts of the civil rights groups are wasted. And I've already said this.
    He is the type that is never going to change, no matter what. It's a small, very vocal group that needs to be ignored while focusing on everyone else. All civil rights leaders need to come across, vocally, with coverage in the national media, as supportive of everyone's rights, not just those of minorities. Once that happens (if the media ever allows it) then, as I said before, I really believe there can be an intelligent dialogue that opens a lot more minds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •