Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtf!!??

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Wtf!!??

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/17/politi...tml?hpt=hp_bn3

What a joke. Are we supposed to be aware of every term that could possibly be offensive? I'd never in my life heard the word "Shylock" associated with Jews.

What's even better is that the article doesn't even #$@$ any of the letters out. That's how offensive it is...I guess.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 09-17-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post

What a joke. Are we supposed to be aware of every term that could possibly be offensive? I'd never in my life heard the word "Shylock" associated with Jews.

What's even better is that the article doesn't even #$@$ any of the letters out. That's how offensive it is...I guess.
    It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The closest i have heard was the work shylark in relation to the John Travolta film, Get shorty.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    They're Just reminding ol' joe where his bread is buttered.

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."-Voltaire

CANKLES 2016!!!

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Can CNN, or the Anti-Defamation League help it if you aren't very worldly or educated?

The name "Shylock" derives from the name of the antagonist in Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice." Shylock, a Jew, was a ruthless moneylender in the play, and he's remembered for demanding a "pound of flesh" from the merchant Antonio if he failed to repay a loan.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 09-17-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Can CNN, or the Anti-Defamation League help it if you aren't very worldly or educated?

The name "Shylock" derives from the name of the antagonist in Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice." Shylock, a Jew, was a ruthless moneylender in the play, and he's remembered for demanding a "pound of flesh" from the merchant Antonio if he failed to repay a loan.
    I didn't say I didn't know where the name came from...I said I had never heard it used as a slur to Jews.

Can I help it if you aren't very literate?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I didn't say I didn't know where the name came from...I said I had never heard it used as a slur to Jews.

Can I help it if you aren't very literate?
    Go back and read your post again, you said associated with Jews.

That indicates to me that you didn't know where it came from, and didn't read the entire article either.

Shylock has been slang for a Jewish loan-shark for a long time. Just because you've never knew that, isn't representative of anything but your own lack of knowledge.

Just admit you stepped in it and created yet another thread of misplaced outrage on this forum.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Go back and read your post again, you said associated with Jews.

That indicates to me that you didn't know where it came from, and didn't read the entire article either.

Shylock has been slang for a Jewish loan-shark for a long time. Just because you've never knew that, isn't representative of anything but your own lack of knowledge.

Just admit you stepped in it and created yet another thread of misplaced outrage on this forum.
    You win. You got me.

Your poor attempt at being Bruwin's replacement has become tiresome...pathetic almost. Enjoy entertaining yourself because I can't be bothered anymore.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    You win. You got me.

Your poor attempt at being Bruwin's replacement has become tiresome...pathetic almost. Enjoy entertaining yourself because I can't be bothered anymore.
    Yes, I did win.

I understand you are butt-hurt and pouty, so I'll let you slide for saying that shit about me and Bruwin.

Why would I try to imitate a former aircraft mechanic? Sure, he cross-trained into intel, but he probably had to get a waiver for the typing test.

I realize that you AGE mechanics worship aircraft mechanics, but not guys like me.

Hey, run down to the drug store and pick up a tube of diaper rash cream. It might help soothe your sore ass, and prevent you from making pouty cry baby posts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Actually the term has been applied to all loan sharks and those who prey on people's financial vulnerabilities, not just those who happen to be Jewish. It is a term which has evolved to lose it's original anti-sematic slant. I agree with a Jewish organization calling the VP on it's use but they could have done that privately and therefore I suspect they had another agenda in mind.

The word Gypsy is considered a slur by the Romani people but is still in common usage and I would venture that most who do use the term don't know they are being racially insensitive.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself