I read an interesting article that starts with a quip about a declared atheist running for Congress in Arizona and that this is the first time a (non-incumbant) declared atheist has run for Congress (some have admitted being atheist once a Member.)

CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/31/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t3

One section I found odd: "When the views of anywhere from 5% to 20% of the American people are not part of the debate in our legislatures, the laws that are passed may not fully reflect the will of the people or, at a minimum, take into account the opinion of a sizable minority. African-Americans are about 13% of the U.S. population and have a representation of about 10% of the members of the U.S. House. Imagine how people would react today if there were no African-Americans in Congress."

I don't necessarily know if I would agree that the laws being passed (as a consequence of no atheists in Congress) do not reflect the "will of the people" or even the mentioned sizable minority (but again, how often do we regard the intent of the minority in many, MANY issues?), the avenue I would use to approach it would be to say that the reasoning or logic process behind a person of faith having opinion [x] on a topic may not take into account the logic process of a person with no religious belief.