Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first new EPR argument already...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My first new EPR argument already...

So I had a little argument with me OIC today about PT and the new EPR system. As we all know we are now in direct competition with our peers, this sucks but it's true. One of my flight mates is the same rank as me and is having problems passing his PT test, as the flight PTL my OIC wants me to help this person out by working out with them. I know I might sound like a jerk but my days are already limited and I have my own workout program that I schedule around my work schedule. I don't have the time to baby sit someone else especially now that they are now a direct competitor.

Needless to say I didn't tell this all to my OIC I just said I'll do my best. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Should you go out of your way to help out someone you are competing with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    So I had a little argument with me OIC today about PT and the new EPR system. As we all know we are now in direct competition with our peers, this sucks but it's true. One of my flight mates is the same rank as me and is having problems passing his PT test, as the flight PTL my OIC wants me to help this person out by working out with them. I know I might sound like a jerk but my days are already limited and I have my own workout program that I schedule around my work schedule. I don't have the time to baby sit someone else especially now that they are now a direct competitor.

Needless to say I didn't tell this all to my OIC I just said I'll do my best. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Should you go out of your way to help out someone you are competing with?
    Sounds like you're a great wingman, a superstar NCO and Mentor. You'll go far. this is probably one of the most piss poor posts ive seen. You're a prime candidate for removal from service. helping a direct competitor. Do you piss on people who are down on thier luck in public too?

actually since he is a direct competitor. during your PT test, make sure you trip and knock over as many people as you see fit to win. Maybe start spiking folks drinks so they fail piss tests too
    I Support unisex bathrooms and unisex lockerroom..:biggrin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt HULK View Post
    Sounds like you're a great wingman, a superstar NCO and Mentor. You'll go far. this is probably one of the most piss poor posts ive seen. You're a prime candidate for removal from service. helping a direct competitor. Do you piss on people who are down on thier luck in public too?

actually since he is a direct competitor. during your PT test, make sure you trip and knock over as many people as you see fit to win. Maybe start spiking folks drinks so they fail piss tests too
    So dramatic...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I agree with what you say, but you can't deny that this is going to become more common. When it comes down to supporting your family, are you really going to make it more competitive/difficult on yourself?

The Air Force has created a system that does not promote teamwork. If you think you, or the people you work with, are above throwing someone else under the bus for self preservation purposes, then you are naive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I agree with what you say, but you can't deny that this is going to become more common. When it comes down to supporting your family, are you really going to make it more competitive/difficult on yourself?

The Air Force has created a system that does not promote teamwork. If you think you, or the people you work with, are above throwing someone else under the bus for self preservation purposes, then you are naive.
    Here's a novel concept, just do your damn job how about that. If you suck so bad in your job that someone running a faster time than you will make or break your career its time depart the service. a pass is a pass is a pass. In 12 yrs Ive never had a deciding factor between 2 folks come down to who runs faster, and it never will. If you think that it will you are the one who is naive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sorry man, you can take your wingman and shove it. I go to the gym before work and sometimes even after work. If someone can't pass the Air Force pt test then they should be kicked out. Why should I or anyone else hold someone's hand, if you can't pass a pt test then you should go to the gym and workout. I am sorry but I am sick and tired of people getting away with this crap and others having to pick up their slack. I am sorry but I am already putting in over 12 hours a day with work and staying fit, not counting taking college classes and all the other crap. I don't have time to hold someone's hand, if they want to go to the gym on my time and on my schedule then great, but don't expect me to change my life around to make yours easier.
    Last edited by Shadowless; 08-27-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Here's a novel concept, just do your damn job how about that. If you suck so bad in your job that someone running a faster time than you will make or break your career its time depart the service. a pass is a pass is a pass. In 12 yrs Ive never had a deciding factor between 2 folks come down to who runs faster, and it never will. If you think that it will you are the one who is naive.
    I've seen the PT score be the deciding factor several times. Maybe you're just lucky.

And I'm not saying that I agree with throwing people under the bus. I'm just making a comment that this is a situation the Air Force has created. It's reality. Whether you agree with people doing it or not doesn't mean that it's not going to happen. Not everyone in the Air Force has your steadfast integrity.

And it's not just a PT thing. It's going to happen on the job, as well. People arguing about taking credit for a specific job. Making comments like "Yeah, you really help on that one by holding up the shovel"...stuff like that.

If you think it won't happen, then you're in for a shock. Though if it does shock you, I really hope you aren't in any position now where you are required to know your people because you obviously don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry man, you can take your wingman and shove it. I go to the gym before work and sometimes even after work. If someone can't pass the Air Force pt test then they should be kicked out. Why should I or anyone else hold someone's hand, if you can't pass a pt test then you should go to the gym and workout. I am sorry but I am sick and tired of people getting away with this crap and others having to pick up their slack. I am sorry but I am already putting in over 12 hours a day with work and staying fit, not counting taking college classes and all the other crap. I don't have time to hold someone's hand, if they want to go to the gym on my time and on my schedule then great, but don't expect me to change my life around to make yours easier.

Pretty cut and dry. Should be easy for your supervisor to rate you then.

On teh AF form 931

Understand the importance of leading by example. screw that ive got my own issues to worry about

Understands the importance of looking after fellow airman. screw that im not a baby sitter.

Understands the importance of showing and inspiring others to reach their full potential nah i dont hold someones hand.

EAMWORK/FOLLOWERSHIP (For SSgt/TSgt also consider Leadership, Team Accomplishments, Recognition/Reward Others)

like i said your making it easy for your supervisor to rate you down. instead of stepping up and earning your high marks, screw it i'm not a baby sitter. well your OIC isnt a baby sitter either and it sounds like he placed you in a chance to show your worthy of a high mark and youre gonna shit on him. Its your career not mine do as you see fit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Pretty cut and dry. Should be easy for your supervisor to rate you then.

On teh AF form 931

Understand the importance of leading by example. screw that ive got my own issues to worry about

Understands the importance of looking after fellow airman. screw that im not a baby sitter.

Understands the importance of showing and inspiring others to reach their full potential nah i dont hold someones hand.

EAMWORK/FOLLOWERSHIP (For SSgt/TSgt also consider Leadership, Team Accomplishments, Recognition/Reward Others)

like i said your making it easy for your supervisor to rate you down. instead of stepping up and earning your high marks, screw it i'm not a baby sitter. well your OIC isnt a baby sitter either and it sounds like he placed you in a chance to show your worthy of a high mark and youre gonna shit on him. Its your career not mine do as you see fit.
    There's always one idealist in every squadron.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

First, this person has always been your direct competitor. You are still competing for promotion against the same lot you always have...the only thing that's changed is the EPR is supposed to be more job focused and actually do what it is supposed to do...differentiate from those ready for the next rank and those who aren't.

One day, you are going to be old and look back on your career. Do you want to look at yourself as someone who did their best to help others...or someone who got promoted by stabbing others in the back.

Service before self. Help the other person out. By looking out for others, you will be looking out for yourself. Do you think Johnny Manziel should sabotage Brian Hoyer, since his goal is to be a starting QB? How does that make Johnny Football a better QB? It doesn't. He should try and improve himself and earn the promotion.

I understand how you feel...but "looking out for #1" never works out the way you want it to...either everyone else will think you are a self-serving scumbag, or you will know it when you look in the mirror.