Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School start times

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

School start times

I guess it's too much to ask for parents to have kids go to be at a reasonable time...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/health...html?hpt=hp_c2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I guess it's too much to ask for parents to have kids go to be at a reasonable time...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/health...html?hpt=hp_c2
    I guess going to bed earlier isn't a solution

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    I guess going to bed earlier isn't a solution
    It will probably cause emotional distress if kids have a bedtime.

Until I was 16, I had a 9 O'clock bedtime on school nights. Always got plenty of sleep. And even after I was allowed to stay up, I was always ready to sleep at the usual time.

I imagine now that kids just sit in their bedrooms on the computer or cell phone as long as they want, until they can't stay awake any longer.

Poor parenting is poor.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    It will probably cause emotional distress if kids have a bedtime.

Until I was 16, I had a 9 O'clock bedtime on school nights. Always got plenty of sleep. And even after I was allowed to stay up, I was always ready to sleep at the usual time.

I imagine now that kids just sit in their bedrooms on the computer or cell phone as long as they want, until they can't stay awake any longer.

Poor parenting is poor.
    Oh! How I agree! If only those nutty professors who conducted that study could view the world through the lens of simplistic homespun wisdom.

Yes, poor parenting is poor!

Good parenting is good!

Cold water is cold and hot water is hot!

A strictly adhered to bed time is strictly adhered to.

If you stay up all night on the computer, then you'll be up all night on the computer.

Why can't the kids of today be like the children of yesteryear? Promptly in bed by 21:00 hours, and if they stay up a little later, they engage in some wholesome activity like reading comic books under their covers with a flashlight.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Why can't the kids of today be like the children of yesteryear? Promptly in bed by 21:00 hours, and if they stay up a little later, they engage in some wholesome activity like reading comic books under their covers with a flashlight.
    Why can't they be in bed at a reasonable time? Your entire post is full of the usual...but what's one good reason that schools should have to conform to bad parenting by starting later? Personally, if the kids are too tired then it's their own damn fault.

I run into the same thing at our tech school. The students don't have it easy (up at 3:30am to do PT before breakfast...in order to start school at 0630). On many occasions they will get pretty sleepy. When I ask them what time they were in bed, most say 11PM or so. When asked why, it's usually because of video games, etc. I have no sympathy. Sure, getting up early sucks...but when you know you have to be up early you make adjustments.

But this is just more of the same. Trying to cater to those who aren't smart enough to take care of themselves.

Now tell me why I'm wrong...or make your usual retort telling me sarcastically how you agree. Either way, you can't give a good reason why the schools should have to change their time instead of having the parents take responsibility for it.

I guess bed times for kids is a bad thing now...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I would suggest that one 'pro' of later start times for schools (at least high school) would be to allow teenagers to have jobs.

I worked at a restaurant from my sophomore year until I graduated, the restaurant closed at 10 on weekdays, and if you were a closer you likely didn't get off until 1100. Once I got home was when I could work on homework for the day. My school started at 0715 and was out at 1445.

Maybe every parent doesn't want to have their teenagers working, others may not have that option (we did not.). For those that want to/need to work a bit of more 'normally' scheduled day (0900 - 1600 for example.) may make their days a little more manageable.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    I would suggest that one 'pro' of later start times for schools (at least high school) would be to allow teenagers to have jobs.

I worked at a restaurant from my sophomore year until I graduated, the restaurant closed at 10 on weekdays, and if you were a closer you likely didn't get off until 1100. Once I got home was when I could work on homework for the day. My school started at 0715 and was out at 1445.

Maybe every parent doesn't want to have their teenagers working, others may not have that option (we did not.). For those that want to/need to work a bit of more 'normally' scheduled day (0900 - 1600 for example.) may make their days a little more manageable.
    Sure, but on the other side there are many parents who start work at, say, 0700. Now they have to find daycare for their younger children for 90 minutes a day...and that's not cheap. Of course there are pros and cons...my point is that it's pretty simple to have your kids in be at a reasonable time to get enough sleep.

Otherwise, we're just teaching them that the world will change to conform to their personal needs...and that's helping nobody in the long run.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sure, but on the other side there are many parents who start work at, say, 0700. Now they have to find daycare for their younger children for 90 minutes a day...and that's not cheap. Of course there are pros and cons...my point is that it's pretty simple to have your kids in be at a reasonable time to get enough sleep.

Otherwise, we're just teaching them that the world will change to conform to their personal needs...and that's helping nobody in the long run.
    Which is why I wouldn't think it a feasible idea outside of high school. Most of the businesses, work environments around here are closed when I am driving into work (about 0500).

At least my circle of friends & associates, if they aren't military ... most of them do not start work at 0700, it is usually 0800 or after.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Why can't they be in bed at a reasonable time? Your entire post is full of the usual...but what's one good reason that schools should have to conform to bad parenting by starting later? Personally, if the kids are too tired then it's their own damn fault.

I run into the same thing at our tech school. The students don't have it easy (up at 3:30am to do PT before breakfast...in order to start school at 0630). On many occasions they will get pretty sleepy. When I ask them what time they were in bed, most say 11PM or so. When asked why, it's usually because of video games, etc. I have no sympathy. Sure, getting up early sucks...but when you know you have to be up early you make adjustments.

But this is just more of the same. Trying to cater to those who aren't smart enough to take care of themselves.

Now tell me why I'm wrong...or make your usual retort telling me sarcastically how you agree. Either way, you can't give a good reason why the schools should have to change their time instead of having the parents take responsibility for it.

I guess bed times for kids is a bad thing now...
    I'm wondering how much of that article you read, because there is a paragraph in it that talks about enforcing bedtime and limiting the use of electronic devices.

Plus, the article largely centered on High School students, who do have more complex and busy schedules than middle schoolers.

A big section of the article talked about the safety advantage of having high schoolers start no earlier than 0830, it eases the morning commute and reduces student traffic accidents. Many high school kids drive cars, and that's a reality.

It is easy to take a one dimensional view of an article's headline and shout "bah humbug" and then proclaim that, "poor parenting is poor."

I suggest using some more of your critical thinking skills if you want to avoid my sarcasm.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I agree SJ. Why should schools shift over start times to cater to the new generation who can't seem to grasp the fact they need to be in bed by 10pm at the latest for a good night sleep, which means turn the damn phone/laptop/ipod/pad etc OFF.