Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: ISIS now going after christians and Yazidi?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    ISIS now going after christians and Yazidi?

    So what's everyone's thoughts on the current issue now running rampant in the news, about all these Yazidi and Christians being pushed out of their towns on to a mountain range? Should we step in?
    If so, why have we not in the Ukraine or any other 'hot spot'?

    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/world/...html?hpt=wo_c2

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...raq-air-drops/

  2. #2
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So what's everyone's thoughts on the current issue now running rampant in the news, about all these Yazidi and Christians being pushed out of their towns on to a mountain range? Should we step in?
    If so, why have we not in the Ukraine or any other 'hot spot'?

    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/world/...html?hpt=wo_c2

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...raq-air-drops/
    No...we should not. In either place. Neither threatens our National Security.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think we need to save it for North Korea. No, seriously. Once we're out of Afghanistan and take a little time off... we need to do something about North Korea. Putin was able to do his thing in Georgia and Ukraine, and we didn't do shit; correct? So, have we got the balls to attack North Korea and dare Russia to do something about it?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  4. #4
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    804
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I can understand the need to help these people but I don't think the American people have the stomach to commit a large number of ground troops there to protect the Christians and Yazidi.

    What I'd like to see is Saudi Arabia put together a coalition of Middle East and Muslim nations to go into to Iraq and other areas to fight ISIS. We've sold them billions of dollars of weapons and aircraft and now is the time for them to step up and lead.

    As for U.S. involvement, I'd support the U.S. providing command/communication/intelligence to the coalition forces. I'd also support use of AC-130 Gun Ships to attack ISIS forces in support of the coalition forces. The thing I wouldn't want is to have any U.S. ground forces there. This is a Middle East problem and they have the resources to deal with it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm all about effing up ISIS, and effing them up good. However, where is Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Jordon, Egypt? Why not China? France? Germany? Why does the US stand alone in opposition to ISIS, or willingness to actually stop them from slaughtering innocent people?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Deja-vu and a little perspective. The US military has been involved in Northern Iraq (only talking about Northern Iraq not the rest of that lovely place) for over 20 of the last 23 plus years. This involvement has involved a combination of and/or all of the following; Targeted air strikes, boots on the ground, full blown unleashing of air power/ground forces, counter insurgency, nation building, humanitarian relief efforts/camps, no-fly-zone, military training/equipping of varies forces/factions, etc, etc, etc.
    1. First Gulf War; 17 Jan 91 - 28 Feb 91. Full blown war.
    2. Operation Provide Comfort 1; 6 Apr 91 - 24 Jul 91. Humanitarian relief effort.
    3. Operation Provide Comfort 2; 24 Jul 91 - 31 Dec 96. Humanitarian relief effort/targeted air strikes.
    4. Operation Desert Strike; Aug/Sep 96; This was the last time that Irbil Iraq fell to the bad guys. The US evacuated 6000 pro US Kurds and sent most of them to Guam.
    5. Operation Northern Watch; 1 Jan 97 - 1 May 03; 36,000 sorties flown and numerous targeted air strikes.
    6. Iraq War (OIF/OND); 20 Mar 03 - Dec 11. Full blown war/counter insurgency/get the hell out of dodge.
    7. I'm sure I missed some?

  7. #7
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveshaper2 View Post
    Deja-vu and a little perspective. The US military has been involved in Northern Iraq (only talking about Northern Iraq not the rest of that lovely place) for over 20 of the last 23 plus years. This involvement has involved a combination of and/or all of the following; Targeted air strikes, boots on the ground, full blown unleashing of air power/ground forces, counter insurgency, nation building, humanitarian relief efforts/camps, no-fly-zone, military training/equipping of varies forces/factions, etc, etc, etc.
    1. First Gulf War; 17 Jan 91 - 28 Feb 91. Full blown war.
    2. Operation Provide Comfort 1; 6 Apr 91 - 24 Jul 91. Humanitarian relief effort.
    3. Operation Provide Comfort 2; 24 Jul 91 - 31 Dec 96. Humanitarian relief effort/targeted air strikes.
    4. Operation Desert Strike; Aug/Sep 96; This was the last time that Irbil Iraq fell to the bad guys. The US evacuated 6000 pro US Kurds and sent most of them to Guam.
    5. Operation Northern Watch; 1 Jan 97 - 1 May 03; 36,000 sorties flown and numerous targeted air strikes.
    6. Iraq War (OIF/OND); 20 Mar 03 - Dec 11. Full blown war/counter insurgency/get the hell out of dodge.
    7. I'm sure I missed some?
    A friend of mine posted on FB today how it's funny that all it takes for Democrats to support war in Iraq and for Republicans to oppose it is to change who's in charge.

  8. #8
    Member crwchf16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shaw AFB
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    I'm all about effing up ISIS, and effing them up good. However, where is Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Jordon, Egypt? Why not China? France? Germany? Why does the US stand alone in opposition to ISIS, or willingness to actually stop them from slaughtering innocent people?
    The sad, simple fact is the rest of the world knows that eventually we will do something about this. With that in mind, why should they spend their money and risk their soldiers?
    Now that the bombimg has started it'll be interesting to see who helps us and who sits on the sidelines and criticizes. So far the only countries to step up and help (that I've heard of) are Australia and maybe the UK.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Maybe we need to stop doing so then. Stop stepping in, in every crisis until those in the region themselves do so.

  10. #10
    Senior Member USN - Retired's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Posts
    702
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "History has proved again and again that whenever mankind interferes with a less developed civilization, no matter how well-intentioned that interference may be, the results are invariably disastrous." ~Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •