Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Does this come to par with homosexual discrimination?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    And so I ask the question again; should I be allowed to refuse to make the sale in that situation?
    Absolutely. Then the customers can walk over to my shop, and I will sell them what they want. Any business owner who wants to make a profit lives by the maxim: give the customer what he or she wants. I fully support the right of my business competitor to be really stupid and refuse a sale for some silly reason, so I can then steal his customers away from him and make more profit.
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    Absolutely. Then the customers can walk over to my shop, and I will sell them what they want. Any business owner who wants to make a profit lives by the maxim: give the customer what he or she wants. I fully support the right of my business competitor to be really stupid and refuse a sale for some silly reason, so I can then steal his customers away from him and make more profit.
    That's not what happened to the cake shop. His sales actually increased, due to other homophobes who supported his cause flocking in. Same thing happened with Chick-fil-A.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Should have perused your link (first one). In this article it is a commenter who makes the accusation. Seems to be pretty far from the point you were attempting to make.

Answering hyperbole with hyperbole...........yeah that'll get the point across.

http://www.wthr.com/story/25203580/2...puzzano-murder

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    No, you're forgetting that you DO. Right/left, conservative/liberal, are binary concepts; despite what Libertarians have to say.
    This continues to be your failure at critical thinking. NO ONE, repeat NO ONE is all of one thing and none of the other. I consider myself to be conservative and there are many issues where I fall on the side of the liberals.

You on the other hand might just come closer than anyone I have ever seen to defying my first statement. But even there you don't because your single-mindedness is laser focused on race.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Oh, boy. Okay, look - I know the difference. HOWEVER, there are gay men who wear certain women's clothing items, without fully cross-dressing. For example, some might use women's deodorant or perfum, jewelry, or wear women's jeans. You know, an "androgynous" look.

And so I ask the question again; should I be allowed to refuse to make the sale in that situation?
    I wouldn't refuse to in that situation because it's no where near the same thing. There are several reasons why a person would by clothing for another sex. There is only one reason why a person would order a wedding cake with 2 same sex figures. Though that's my personal opinion.

I definitely think people should be able to refuse selling bikinis and spandex to fat chicks.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That's not what happened to the cake shop. His sales actually increased, due to other homophobes who supported his cause flocking in. Same thing happened with Chick-fil-A.
    That's just because of the publicity. I'm sure sales evened out very quickly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    This continues to be your failure at critical thinking. NO ONE, repeat NO ONE is all of one thing and none of the other. I consider myself to be conservative and there are many issues where I fall on the side of the liberals.

You on the other hand might just come closer than anyone I have ever seen to defying my first statement. But even there you don't because your single-mindedness is laser focused on race.
    Go eat a dick.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I wouldn't refuse to in that situation because it's no where near the same thing. There are several reasons why a person would by clothing for another sex. There is only one reason why a person would order a wedding cake with 2 same sex figures. Though that's my personal opinion.
    Okay, so what if he's already sporting an androgynous look while he's in your store?

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    That's just because of the publicity. I'm sure sales evened out very quickly.
    No, because his store didn't stay open long enough for that. They actually required him to sell those types of cakes to customers, so he took his ball and went home.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Okay, so what if he's already sporting an androgynous look while he's in your store?

No, because his store didn't stay open long enough for that. They actually required him to sell those types of cakes to customers, so he took his ball and went home.
    The situations are completely different. The store sells perfume. The store sells women's clothing. These are products sold...and should be sold to everyone. In the cake shop, a cake with two same sex figures is not a product they sell. They wouldn't sell it to anyone, gay or straight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's not what happened to the cake shop. His sales actually increased, due to other homophobes who supported his cause flocking in.
    It appears that I missed something. Are we talking about a real cake shop or a hypothetical cake shop?

Same thing happened with Chick-fil-A.
    Not the same thing. Here's what really happened...

A series of public comments were made in June 2012 by Chick-fil-A's chief operating officer Dan Cathy opposing same-sex marriage. Chick-fil-A's charitable endeavor, the S. Truett Cathy-family-operated WinShape Foundation, made millions in donations to political organizations which oppose LGBT rights. In March 2014, Cathy admitted regret over drawing his company into the controversy. Of note, Chick-fil -A did not refuse to serve to anyone, except on Sunday. On Sunday, Chick-fil-A refused service to everyone.

Should it be illegal to openly oppose same sex marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones' signature box View Post
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people." ~Paul Ryan
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."
    ~Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan did make this statement, but if you watch the longer video clip you can tell it was a slip of the tongue. The sentence right before this quote he claims certain policies are destroying the healthcare system and he wants to stop those. Then this sentence just appears to be accidentally missing a few words, something along the lines of "We're not going to give up on [stopping what we believe is] destroying the health care system..."

http://quotefail.com/quote/paul-ryan...troying-health

Rusty is still trying to mislead us.
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others