Thread: Selling a car via ebay or other sites. Why no need to check for ID?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Selling a car via ebay or other sites. Why no need to check for ID?

Saw a thread on GOPUSA where sheriffs in Colorado are suing to remove 2 new gun restriction laws, and one of them reminded me of an issue i find strange.

When i go to a car dealership to buy a car, i hve to show proof i am licensed. Then after getting paperwork done, i need to get insurance, before i could drive it off the lot. This has been what i went through both times i bought a car off a dealership.
    BUT all three times i bought a car off a guy selling his, i never had to show either?

It's similar with guns, in that if i buy it from a dealership, i need to get vetted that i am legally authorized to buy it (criminal backround check etc). BUT if i buy it from a person say via craigslist, no checks need to be done.

The feds have pushed some states to adopt laws requiring the checks for personal sales of guns.
    So why has it never been an issue enough to push for laws requiring the checking of license/insurance for personal car sales?
    Is it that they don't feel we have enough of a problem with unlicensed or uninsured people driving on our roads?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Saw a thread on GOPUSA where sheriffs in Colorado are suing to remove 2 new gun restriction laws, and one of them reminded me of an issue i find strange.

When i go to a car dealership to buy a car, i hve to show proof i am licensed. Then after getting paperwork done, i need to get insurance, before i could drive it off the lot. This has been what i went through both times i bought a car off a dealership.
    BUT all three times i bought a car off a guy selling his, i never had to show either?

It's similar with guns, in that if i buy it from a dealership, i need to get vetted that i am legally authorized to buy it (criminal backround check etc). BUT if i buy it from a person say via craigslist, no checks need to be done.

The feds have pushed some states to adopt laws requiring the checks for personal sales of guns.
    So why has it never been an issue enough to push for laws requiring the checking of license/insurance for personal car sales?
    Is it that they don't feel we have enough of a problem with unlicensed or uninsured people driving on our roads?
    I've never had to get insurance for the new car before driving it off the lot...I believe it's covered somewhere that when purchasing a new car, you are automatically covered for a period of time...then usally I'll add the car the next business day or something. I recently bought a used car from a dealer...we had to show that we had insurance, but did not have to add the new car.

As far as the license...not sure why, but you have to have a license to register a car in our state. We were actually purchasing the car for our daughter, but she couldn't put it in her name since she was still on permit.

At least in CA, the dealer MUST do the DMV paperwork for you. You know, they charge like $80 to do it...so I was like, we'll I'll save the $80 and go to DMV myself...but, he said the law requires him to do the DMV paperwork to protect the former owner...i.e. not having me driving around in a car that is still in someone else's name.

Buying it from a private person is different simply because they are not a business. The only thing I think they are required to do in CA, is the seller must have the car smogged within 30 or 60 days of selling it.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 07-31-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I've never had to get insurance for the new car before driving it off the lot...
    Maybe it was just the 2 places i bought them from then that had it as an add on they required..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Maybe it was just the 2 places i bought them from then that had it as an add on they required..
    Could be a state thing too...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Possible. First time was in norfolk Va, the 2nd was when i was in Guam buying off a dealer on base.