Thread: Supervising someone but not being their rater

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Supervising someone but not being their rater

I have a SSgt that is working in my office. Operationally I am supervising him. But he is only here for 90 days so I am not his supervisor. After speaking to his supervisor I wrote out a "feedback" for him. But he just doesn't seem to get the job. He won't take notes on our tasks. He can't remember something he was trained on from one day to the next. He asks a million and one questions without trying to figure out how to do something.

He seems like he is a smart kid. But here he is dumb as box of rocks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Insert clever quote here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm, first question that comes to mind is, "Who made the drug-deal to stick him in your shop?" Second question: "Why did someone willingly give up this individual?" This sounds like CRO/EPR avoidance to me. Is he PCSing or going civilian below the zone? So many questions, just like your guy!! HA!
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo432 View Post
    Hmmm, first question that comes to mind is, "Who made the drug-deal to stick him in your shop?" Second question: "Why did someone willingly give up this individual?" This sounds like CRO/EPR avoidance to me. Is he PCSing or going civilian below the zone? So many questions, just like your guy!! HA!
    They rotate through my office for 90-180 days. We get all the box of rocks people. Drives me bonkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    TWe get all the box of rocks people.
    You probably have to be a certain age to get this:

The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    You probably have to be a certain age to get this:

My wife's favorite Christmas movie...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    They rotate through my office for 90-180 days. We get all the box of rocks people. Drives me bonkers.
    That's just plain dumb. Rocks need time to be polished into slightly shinier rocks, or have a folder thick enough to make them civilian rocks.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo432 View Post
    ... civilian below the zone ...
    Ah, my favorite military euphemism.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    Ah, my favorite military euphemism.
    I like it too. They put these guys in here with us and then want me to write them a Diamond Sharp award, NCO of the quarter, or something. I guess since they all score 95 and up on their PT test it doesn't matter that they have to take off so their wife can have a hair appt. (Yes this was given to me as an appt). Then I am the mean one when I say no. Or when I tell them that we are swamped and PT today is on their own time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've done the same on both sides due to personnel swaps that would've triggered a "short" EPR on the indivudual, which since it hurts them I try to avoid or due to deployments. Anyway, the key is communication between the rater and supervisor, and also the super. I've gone so far as to write the EPR for someone I didn't rate but did supervise to ensure they got the rating they deserved. Any differences of opinion regarding the rating should be resolved prior to the EPR being routed, even if the super has to mediate...also keep in mind it's the rater's rater rankings that "matter" so getting that person on your side if you're the supervisor is key.

Also, how DARE you make them PT on their own time. PT is, at least according to the emphasis we place on it, the sole measure of an airman. Don't let that pesky mission stand in the way of true excellence! [/SARCASM]