Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Results 211 to 216 of 216

Thread: What is the CA govenor thinking??

  1. #211
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    Right, which is why I said the only OTHER part of the document that mentions gender.... The other M could just as well say "Mr" if the law allowed.

    My point was that not all marriage certificates are created equal. This thread had a lot of discussion regarding terminology on certain legal documents. I just thought it interesting that this example from Texas mentions any of the terms in dispute.
    I think it's fair to say that Texas and California are probably about as different as it gets. I don't foresee Texas making changes any time soon to appease the minority.

  2. #212
    Senior Member giggawatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I think it's fair to say that Texas and California are probably about as different as it gets. I don't foresee Texas making changes any time soon to appease the minority.
    Quite fair to say. No arguments here.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

  3. #213
    Senior Member WILDJOKER5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    Right, which is why I said the only OTHER part of the document that mentions gender.... The other M could just as well say "Mr" if the law allowed.

    My point was that not all marriage certificates are created equal. This thread had a lot of discussion regarding terminology on certain legal documents. I just thought it interesting that this example from Texas mentions any of the terms in dispute.
    So maybe in TX is was ok for 2 guys to be married but not 2 women? Honestly, why should government be involved in this area of a persons life at all? Why must any one ask for permission to be "married" or "unionized" and share a dwelling and income and insurance benefits from the government? What does applying for license actually do for people? Is the government doing a background check? We know it doesnt stop anyone from have sex. What is the point of the government to be involved in this processes at all?
    Progressivism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org

  4. #214
    Senior Member giggawatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDJOKER5 View Post
    So maybe in TX is was ok for 2 guys to be married but not 2 women? Honestly, why should government be involved in this area of a persons life at all? Why must any one ask for permission to be "married" or "unionized" and share a dwelling and income and insurance benefits from the government? What does applying for license actually do for people? Is the government doing a background check? We know it doesnt stop anyone from have sex. What is the point of the government to be involved in this processes at all?
    Maybe it was. I agree with everything you say. Get government out of marriage. Give no benefits, tax breaks or anything to ANY married couples and same sex marriage becomes a non issue.

    For medical issues like life support and other things of that nature, just make a living will.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

  5. #215
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,575
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    So perhaps because of previous laws enacted the terms for these particular sections must remain as written (since they deal with things of value). We will have to wait until 1 January to know for certain but I will stipulate they will remain unchanged.
    Section 803 remains unchanged:

    803. Notwithstanding any other provision of this part, whenever any
    real or personal property, or any interest therein or encumbrance
    thereon, was acquired before January 1, 1975, by a married woman by
    an instrument in writing, the following presumptions apply, and are
    conclusive in favor of any person dealing in good faith and for a
    valuable consideration with the married woman or her legal
    representatives or successors in interest, regardless of any change
    in her marital status after acquisition of the property:
    (a) If acquired by the married woman, the presumption is that the
    property is the married woman's separate property.
    (b) If acquired by the married woman and any other person, the
    presumption is that the married woman takes the part acquired by her
    as tenant in common, unless a different intention is expressed in the
    instrument.
    (c) If acquired by husband and wife by an instrument in which they
    are described as husband and wife, the presumption is that the
    property is the community property of the husband and wife, unless a
    different intention is expressed in the instrument.
    If you would like to follow the link where I found this, you can see that it is current as the other sections 300, 301, 302, 420, 500, 720, 721, 750, 751, 752, 754, 761, 1102, 1500, 1620, 1839, 2200, 2201, 2210, 2211, 2322, 2400, 2401, 3120, 3450, 3551, 3580, 3585, 3600, 4323, and 4930 have been changed (okay, I didn't check them all, I only checked the first couple and they were changed)

    The Voice of Reason

  6. #216
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Section 803 remains unchanged:



    If you would like to follow the link where I found this, you can see that it is current as the other sections 300, 301, 302, 420, 500, 720, 721, 750, 751, 752, 754, 761, 1102, 1500, 1620, 1839, 2200, 2201, 2210, 2211, 2322, 2400, 2401, 3120, 3450, 3551, 3580, 3585, 3600, 4323, and 4930 have been changed (okay, I didn't check them all, I only checked the first couple and they were changed)

    Oh good God, do I have to go back and reread 22 pages of posts?

    No thank you. You are right, completely right. I was wrong, completely wrong. You are on the moral high ground and I surrender.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •