Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Undocumented" article

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

"Undocumented" article

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/15/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

So this dude knows he's undocumented, brags online about being undocumented, and seems to be trying to get caught just for publicity reasons. This would be like me tweeting that I'm going to rob a bank, list the bank I'm going to rob with the time I'm going to do it, admit to several prior bank robberies, then try to make people sympathize with me when I get arrested.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Personally i am surprised he still has a job.
    1) Since he is here illegally, is NOT CNN breaking the law keeping him on the payroll?
    2) Since he is here illegally, how did he pay for college, let alone go to one without paperwork? If he went on a fake/stolen/forged id, should that not mean his Degree was acquired under false pretenses? ANd if so, should that not invalidate it?
    3) IF 2 is true, then should that not invalidate his Pulitzer prize?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Personally i am surprised he still has a job.
    1) Since he is here illegally, is NOT CNN breaking the law keeping him on the payroll?
    Not clear if he is on their payroll, or simply sold them the documentary.

2) Since he is here illegally, how did he pay for college, let alone go to one without paperwork? If he went on a fake/stolen/forged id, should that not mean his Degree was acquired under false pretenses? ANd if so, should that not invalidate it?
    I assume he paid money for college...maybe loans, I don't know...but I don't think colleges care too much about legal or illegal. Wasn't there even a deal with colleges in Texas and NJ, among others, providing in-state tuition rates to illegals who graduated HS in-state?

I don't think the prize is based on whether or not he has a valid degree.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    It's not exactly his prize, he was part of a Washington Post team that received it.

How, in 14 years, has/did he:
    • Traveled extensively, visiting 40 states. All by automobile? Do passports count as ID when flying?
    • At 16 he tried to get a drivers license but was told his green card was bogus; apparently that was the end of the story. Why didn't the DMV inform anyone?
    • How can you function with no ID other than a (Filipino) passport?
    • How did he write an article for the NY Times Magazine, write for numerous publications including the New Yorker, intern for The Seattle Times, work for The Huffington Post, the San Francisco Chronicle, Philadelphia Daily News, and CNN (there's a link at the bottom of the article linked in the OP that goes to an article he wrote for CNN, and his documentary CNN aired), Time magazine (cover story), and nothing happen? Don't employers need a SSN, bank account info., etc?
    • How was he able to appear before a Senate Judiciary Committee and give testimony? http://swampland.time.com/2013/02/14...ate-testimony/
    • In June 2011 he wrote an essay in The New York Times Magazine and revealed his status as an "undocumented immigrant."
    • I saw him on a show on HBO a few weeks ago giving an interview in which is immigration status was a topic of discussion.

I'm confused? How can someone do the above items and it takes so long for the Government to do anything or even notice? For further reading, check out Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Antonio_Vargas, or the Internet Movie Database http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3452130/ to read up on the three movies he's written and/or directed or for news articles from '12, '13, & '14 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3452130/news?ref_=nm_phs_nw.

How can someone be so out there and still be hidden at the same time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I won't shed a tear for him. He practically begged to be arrested, so it's better late than never.
    Beer is proof that God loves us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Who says justice is slow? He's already been released.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/15/justice/texas-jose-vargas-detained/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Squid View Post
    I won't shed a tear for him. He practically begged to be arrested, so it's better late than never.
    He did beg...obviously strictly for publicity. Basically, he is laughing in the face of U.S. law and being very successful doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    He did beg...obviously strictly for publicity. Basically, he is laughing in the face of U.S. law and being very successful doing it.
    I know, but his past success is no indicator of future success. I hope he doesn't laugh too loudly, because the U.S. still deports approximately 400,000 illegal immigrants every year; not that 400,000 is nearly enough, but that's beside the point.
    Beer is proof that God loves us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Not clear if he is on their payroll, or simply sold them the documentary.
    From a site dedicated to him it seems i was wrong, he doesn't work for CNN< but is more akin to an independent reporter, selling his works to anyone who buys them.

I assume he paid money for college...maybe loans, I don't know...but I don't think colleges care too much about legal or illegal. Wasn't there even a deal with colleges in Texas and NJ, among others, providing in-state tuition rates to illegals who graduated HS in-state?
    Which to me is (or should be) illegal. Since he is not here legally, how did he get a loan (if he went that route) since to get one, you need a valid SSN?

I don't think the prize is based on whether or not he has a valid degree.
    Maybe. BUT that he got it from a degree that to be was questionably granted should at least raise some eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_1991-2011 View Post
    It's not exactly his prize, he was part of a Washington Post team that received it.

How, in 14 years, has/did he:
    • Traveled extensively, visiting 40 states. All by automobile? Do passports count as ID when flying?
    • At 16 he tried to get a drivers license but was told his green card was bogus; apparently that was the end of the story. Why didn't the DMV inform anyone?
    • How can you function with no ID other than a (Filipino) passport?
    • How did he write an article for the NY Times Magazine, write for numerous publications including the New Yorker, intern for The Seattle Times, work for The Huffington Post, the San Francisco Chronicle, Philadelphia Daily News, and CNN (there's a link at the bottom of the article linked in the OP that goes to an article he wrote for CNN, and his documentary CNN aired), Time magazine (cover story), and nothing happen? Don't employers need a SSN, bank account info., etc?
    • How was he able to appear before a Senate Judiciary Committee and give testimony? http://swampland.time.com/2013/02/14...ate-testimony/
    • In June 2011 he wrote an essay in The New York Times Magazine and revealed his status as an "undocumented immigrant."
    • I saw him on a show on HBO a few weeks ago giving an interview in which is immigration status was a topic of discussion.

I'm confused? How can someone do the above items and it takes so long for the Government to do anything or even notice? For further reading, check out Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Antonio_Vargas, or the Internet Movie Database http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3452130/ to read up on the three movies he's written and/or directed or for news articles from '12, '13, & '14 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3452130/news?ref_=nm_phs_nw.

How can someone be so out there and still be hidden at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Which is my point exactly. How can we call ourselves a nation of laws, when this is ONE (of 11 million) willfully flaunting the laws and nothing gets done to him, NOR the orgs he works with, since we DO have laws against hiring illegals etc.? It just baffles the mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've done some contract writing (little bitty pieces for almost enough money to take my wife out to eat). Everything was done through the internet, and the company which contracted me didn't care what country I happened to be in. My contract was a line in their accoutning sheets. Since I wasn't an employee, they didn't need a SSAN to report anything. I was required to track the income and self-report it as business income when I filed my taxes.

Large, international firms are very used to paying for services without needing to report that expense as somebody else's income to the US Government. It happens all the time. Heck, even a portion of their employee wages are simpy expenditures to the US Government. They don't tax the salaries of Indian nationals working for the company in India, right?

Yes, tourists use their passports as their picture ID all the time. Especially those whose other documentation is not in English, and thus really not likely to be recognized by local employees scattered across the USA.
    Back from the bit bucket. Somebody flushed the buffers on me, though . . ..