Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "Undocumented" article

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Well, I can't speak to the broader picture you just cited but I think it unreasonable and illogical to think that 13 percent of the population is smoking more pot than the other 83 percent.
    I'd agree with that. I think it's just the situations where it's smoked that gives the stereotype. I know plenty of whites who do it on a regular basis. I'd go as far to say that, AT LEAST, 40% of people I know (outside of the military) smoke pot. The difference is that most white people I know who do it are happy to sit at home, smoke a joint, and fall asleep while most black people I know who smoke it seem much more likely to do it in public (clubs, etc). So it's more of a visibility thing. If I'm at home smoking it I'm much less likely to have run-ins with the law.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I'd agree with that. I think it's just the situations where it's smoked that gives the stereotype. I know plenty of whites who do it on a regular basis. I'd go as far to say that, AT LEAST, 40% of people I know (outside of the military) smoke pot. The difference is that most white people I know who do it are happy to sit at home, smoke a joint, and fall asleep while most black people I know who smoke it seem much more likely to do it in public (clubs, etc). So it's more of a visibility thing. If I'm at home smoking it I'm much less likely to have run-ins with the law.
    Exactly. I gamed with several white dudes in England who smoked pot during the games, at their own house. Rarely did they smoke outside, or at a public place. Compared to the 5 black people i know who smoke pot, they do it where ever the heck they can get away with it.
    Big difference.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    From all the stateside locales i was in navy schools at (san diego, great lakes and norfolk), i saw more blacks doing drugs than whites.. So in my observations, its all over not just DC.
    Urban versus rural. More police attention per capita in urban areas, especially where poverty is concentrated. Disproportionate enforcement and sentencing practices...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Urban versus rural. More police attention per capita in urban areas, especially where poverty is concentrated. Disproportionate enforcement and sentencing practices...
    It would only be disproportionate if the crime rate per capita was equal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It would only be disproportionate if the crime rate per capita was equal.
    If you concentrated all of the white poor into a relatively small urban area, you'd probably see a lot more enforcement targeted at them. I understand the cops are going to go where the low-hanging fruit congregate. Cops are also going to be a lot less lenient in a high-crime area than in suburbia, where the Police chief's daughter is likely to get off with a warning as opposed to being placed in cuffs.
    Last edited by Capt Alfredo; 07-24-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: more goodness, same price

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    If you concentrated all of the white poor into a relatively small urban area, you'd probably see a lot more enforcement targeted at them. I understand the cops are going to go where the low-hanging fruit congregate. Cops are also going to be a lot less lenient in a high-crime area than in suburbia, where the Police chief's daughter is likely to get off with a warning as opposed to being placed in cuffs.
    Police will congregate where the higher rates of crime are, period. They will also enforce laws stronger where more crimes are taking place.

Who are you going to keep a closer eye on and have a harsher punishment for? The troop who is constantly getting into trouble and hanging around with people who get in trouble or the guy who slips up once in an otherwise clean career?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I am afraid SJ has it right. The 'poor white' are concentrated in areas just like every other poor group of every ethnicity. Do you think there are many poor whites in Chevy Chase (MD or DC)?

It's true that police concentration is driven by crime rates and one unintended consequence is disproportionate arrest rates among minorities. At that point it becomes (for some) a chicken n' egg situation. Which one is the cause and which one is the effect.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Police will congregate where the higher rates of crime are, period. They will also enforce laws stronger where more crimes are taking place.

Who are you going to keep a closer eye on and have a harsher punishment for? The troop who is constantly getting into trouble and hanging around with people who get in trouble or the guy who slips up once in an otherwise clean career?
    Based on how the military is with lower enlisted (E5 and below) neither. They go after everyone by cramping down on everyone!