Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Just registered to vote in Ohio.. Strange?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Just registered to vote in Ohio.. Strange?

    OK. So while i was active duty, since i was overseas mostly, i never bothered registering to vote.
    Got stationed dirtside in Mississippi while with the Seabees, and registered to vote. Got a nice card in the mail for it.

    Now i am living up here in Reynoldsburg, on the SE side of Columbus Oh, i decided its time to change my voter registration up and get a new card.

    Apparently ohio doesn't Issue one? They don't even require any proof of ID when submitting paperwork FOR voter registration.
    But you damn well better have 1 picture ID (current), a copy of your social security card, and birth certificate, when you get an ohio driver's license.

    Does that make sense to anyone? You don't need ID to register to vote, neither to actually vote.
    But to get a DL, you need all the rest? WTF over?

  2. #2
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    OK. So while i was active duty, since i was overseas mostly, i never bothered registering to vote.
    Got stationed dirtside in Mississippi while with the Seabees, and registered to vote. Got a nice card in the mail for it.

    Now i am living up here in Reynoldsburg, on the SE side of Columbus Oh, i decided its time to change my voter registration up and get a new card.

    Apparently ohio doesn't Issue one? They don't even require any proof of ID when submitting paperwork FOR voter registration.
    But you damn well better have 1 picture ID (current), a copy of your social security card, and birth certificate, when you get an ohio driver's license.

    Does that make sense to anyone? You don't need ID to register to vote, neither to actually vote.
    But to get a DL, you need all the rest? WTF over?
    LOL...I always love it when we get on this topic.

    The answer you will get from many is that we don't need ID cards to vote because there is very little proof that fraud is happening and that any proof is only related to a very small number of people.

    What's even better is that for the things you mentioned, the only one you actually HAVE to be a citizen for is the voting, so it would be just silly to require ID to do so.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm in Ohio also. I actually registered to vote while getting my drivers license. While I was getting that done they asked if I would like to register to vote. I think I filled out a small piece of paperwork and was done with it.

    My question to people who are against voter ID. How many people are there that do not have any form of ID? There are so many things that require ID. Heck, sometimes you can't even return a purchase to WalMart without an ID. Seriously, if we had to guess how many people are there that do not have some sort of photo ID? It has to be less than 1% of people overall right?

  4. #4
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I'm in Ohio also. I actually registered to vote while getting my drivers license. While I was getting that done they asked if I would like to register to vote. I think I filled out a small piece of paperwork and was done with it.

    My question to people who are against voter ID. How many people are there that do not have any form of ID? There are so many things that require ID. Heck, sometimes you can't even return a purchase to WalMart without an ID. Seriously, if we had to guess how many people are there that do not have some sort of photo ID? It has to be less than 1% of people overall right?
    Of people actually eligible to vote...yes...I'd guess it's less than 1%. And I'm assuming most of those have to cash a welfare check somehow.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I'm in Ohio also. I actually registered to vote while getting my drivers license. While I was getting that done they asked if I would like to register to vote. I think I filled out a small piece of paperwork and was done with it.

    My question to people who are against voter ID. How many people are there that do not have any form of ID? There are so many things that require ID. Heck, sometimes you can't even return a purchase to WalMart without an ID. Seriously, if we had to guess how many people are there that do not have some sort of photo ID? It has to be less than 1% of people overall right?
    I wouldn't say I'm for or against voter ID. It is an issue I do not understand, because, as you mention, I had no idea there were people that could not get an ID. However, reports are that there are 1000s of people like this....either elderly that no longer have birth certificates or whatever...again, I have no idea. The claim is they can't get a new birth certificate without an ID and can't get an ID without a birth certificate. I don't know...that whole idea boggles my mind that someone can go so long without ID.

    The reason this is an issue is because both parties think whoever these people are are going to vote Democrat. So, Democrats want them to vote and Republicans do not want them to vote.

    There should be an easier process to be able to obtain ID. It should not be impossible or expensive for anyone. I don't understand the big issue with getting ID...though apparently there is one for some people.

  6. #6
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm for or against voter ID. It is an issue I do not understand, because, as you mention, I had no idea there were people that could not get an ID. However, reports are that there are 1000s of people like this....either elderly that no longer have birth certificates or whatever...again, I have no idea. The claim is they can't get a new birth certificate without an ID and can't get an ID without a birth certificate. I don't know...that whole idea boggles my mind that someone can go so long without ID.

    The reason this is an issue is because both parties think whoever these people are are going to vote Democrat. So, Democrats want them to vote and Republicans do not want them to vote.

    There should be an easier process to be able to obtain ID. It should not be impossible or expensive for anyone. I don't understand the big issue with getting ID...though apparently there is one for some people.
    I'd think that the elderly are cashing/depositing SSI/disability checks, etc. Like you, I just don't get it either. Do they not have a bank account? Hell, in order for me to open an account I had to have photo ID, SSN, and a bill showing proof of my address.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I'd think that the elderly are cashing/depositing SSI/disability checks, etc. Like you, I just don't get it either. Do they not have a bank account? Hell, in order for me to open an account I had to have photo ID, SSN, and a bill showing proof of my address.
    I don't know...are there some Grandmas in rural Appalachia that never needed ID? I don't know.

    OTOH, the founding fathers did not show a photo ID to vote.

    Overall, I feel about this issue the way I feel about what is the appropriate amount of medication to give someone with Fibramyalgia...I have no idea. I don't know anything about the problems these people may or may not have. And a bunch of people without those problems shouting about how it is a fake disease given to whiners when nothing is found wrong with them is not that convincing either.

    So, while I don't get the issue, I'm not ready to condemn it as fraud either.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 07-10-2014 at 09:25 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member efmbman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ...............................................

  9. #9
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I don't know...are there some Grandmas in rural Appalachia that never needed ID? I don't know.

    OTOH, the founding fathers did not show a photo ID to vote.

    Overall, I feel about this issue the way I feel about what is the appropriate amount of medication to give someone with Fibramyalgia...I have no idea. I don't know anything about the problems these people may or may not have. And a bunch of people without those problems shouting about how it is a fake disease given to whiners when nothing is found wrong with them is not that convincing either.

    So, while I don't get the issue, I'm not ready to condemn it as fraud either.
    The issue isn't that hard to understand. I think you do so quite clearly.

    If local churches (mostly Baptist) start picking up people to get photos id's the problem will most likely disappear.

    There is a distinct possibility that one party wants to put a road block in the way of some voters.

    The equal possibility is that the other party knows how low voter turn out is among those certain voters and doesn't want anything else in the way (of course the turn out has been historically high the last two national elections). That is the elephant sitting on the coffee table. You will hardly hear one party in essence calling some of their voters lazy, lackadaisical, whatever the case.

    As to the "1000s of people" who can't get an id. Much like the 84 year old black man in SC profiled before the 2012 election who stated he didn't have a birth certificate and didn't know how to go about getting one. The reporter was very sympathetic. But.....................

    You must have a photo id to open a bank account.

    FDIC Law, Regulations (8000 PART 1020 Subpart F § 1020.220) (A) Verification through documents. For a bank relying on documents, the CIP (Customer Identification Program) must contain procedures that set forth the documents that the bank will use. These documents may include:

    (1) For an individual, unexpired government-issued identification evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard, such as a driver's license or passport; and


    Federal law requires all recipients of benefits from the Social Security Administration must use Direct Deposit (receive their payments electronically).

    How are all these elderly people who ‘can’t’ get an id getting their social security benefits?

    The reporter didn’t ask these questions.

    OTOH.........if only there had been such a thing as photo id's in 1789. Of course I suppose the poll workers knew every voter personally so..............

    One final note regarding whether or not voter fraud is a problem or not. The history of voting in the US aside. The estimated percentage of people who will murder someone in the US is approximately 0.00735 percent. Hardly seems worth pursuing.
    Last edited by TJMAC77SP; 07-10-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    The issue isn't that hard to understand. I think you do so quite clearly.

    If local churches (mostly Baptist) start picking up people to get photos id's the problem will most likely disappear.
    Seems logical to me...but I don't understand the isssue in getting ID. Again, reading this I'm hearing..."these people with so called Fibromyalgia just need to get some exercise"...

    There is a distinct possibility that one party wants to put a road block in the way of some voters.

    The equal possibility is that the other party knows how low voter turn out is among those certain voters and doesn't want anything else in the way (of course the turn out has been historically high the last two national elections). That is the elephant sitting on the coffee table. You will hardly hear one party in essence calling some of their voters lazy, lackadaisical, whatever the case.
    Well, I think the accusation from the Republicans is that the Democrats want ineligible people to vote. The accusation from the Democrats is that Republicans are trying to prevent eligible people from voting.

    As to the "1000s of people" who can't get an id. Much like the 84 year old black man in SC profiled before the 2012 election who stated he didn't have a birth certificate and didn't know how to go about getting one. The reporter was very sympathetic. But.....................

    You must have a photo id to open a bank account.

    FDIC Law, Regulations (8000 PART 1020 Subpart F § 1020.220) (A) Verification through documents. For a bank relying on documents, the CIP (Customer Identification Program) must contain procedures that set forth the documents that the bank will use. These documents may include:

    (1) For an individual, unexpired government-issued identification evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard, such as a driver's license or passport; and


    Federal law requires all recipients of benefits from the Social Security Administration must use Direct Deposit (receive their payments electronically).

    How are all these elderly people who ‘can’t’ get an id getting their social security benefits?

    The reporter didn’t ask these questions.
    I understand all your points...as I mentioned, the idea that it is difficult to get an ID for some people is completely alien to me. Your questions seem like logical ones a reporter should ask so we could all understand what's going on. I can't believe it is that difficult to get an ID...heck have them swear in front of judge or something....it can't just be that it is impossible to get ID if you lose your birth certificate. That's what my brain says.

    That doesn't mean I assume it must be fraud. It could be that I don't know everything about everyone's situation and the problems associated with it. If I can't understand the problem it's hard for me to say I know the solution. You seem convinced that there is no problem in getting IDs...I tend to agree, I'm just less sure.

    OTOH.........if only there had been such a thing as photo id's in 1789. Of course I suppose the poll workers knew every voter personally so..............
    Yeah...I know...I just enjoy throwing that one out there.

    One final note regarding whether or not voter fraud is a problem or not. The history of voting in the US aside. The estimated percentage of people who will murder someone in the US is approximately 0.00735 percent. Hardly seems worth pursuing.
    I never suggested voter fraud did not exist or that is was nothing worth pursuing...I'm just not convinced that those against voter ID laws necessarily have an intent to commit voter fraud.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •