Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet more floods, but still some areas in droughts.. Why can't they pipe/ship it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    They always predict El Nino...

There are also issues with environmental factors effecting the sea life and the emmisions created by the plants. You'd think that on a planet that is 80% water we'd be good to go.
    From NOAA...looking strong that there will be one this year:

Next ENSO Update: July 10
    NOAA's National Weather Service indicates El Niño may develop as early as summer or fall 2014. Typical El Niño impacts in the U.S. include above-average rainfall in the West and suppressed hurricane activity in the East, although neither is guaranteed and largely dependent on El Niño's strength. For information on what an El Niño event might mean for your region, follow our ENSO blog and connect with us on social media.
    Don't even get me started on Environmental impact...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Yes...good point. I know there is a desalination plant in Santa Barbara that is not being used. It was built during a drought in the 90s I think...but, then allowed to deteriorate unused while the area had rain.
    They are now considering firing it back up, but the cost to get it back up and running is almost as much as it was to build it because it's been allowed to go to hell...so they're basically hoping the El Nino that is predicted for this year will bring more rain.
    They built one down in San Diego as well and will fire it up within the next couple of years. You live in Santa Barbara county right? The whole of SoCal is in need of alot of water right now. I routinely go up to the Central Valley and there are alot of farms hurting because of this.
    Also one of the guys I talk to at the gym goes is a hay broker. Basically he goes around California and buys large amounts of Hay to resell it. He has told me that farmers he has talked to are resulting to actually trying to dig wells to get more water.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

It's almost like our weather patterns are on some sort of cycle...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    And is it not cost prohibitive to consistently pay out billions for flood damage, and drought damage year after year?
    Apparently not -- the evidence being that insurance companies make lots of money. If they weren't, they'd be doing something else. Paying claims is part of their business model.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    They already have desalination plants? Why the heck did they just let them go to S)(@)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They already have desalination plants? Why the heck did they just let them go to S)(@)?
    Because it is a hell of alot more expensive than getting the water from the Colorado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watch a ton of Philippine news stations and they are saying that it is a El Nino year. Because when it is one they get less rain and California gets a ton of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, apparently it is the most expensive water to get...which I why I said we need to get better at it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    I watch a ton of Philippine news stations and they are saying that it is a El Nino year. Because when it is one they get less rain and California gets a ton of it.
    Let's hope so for California's sake -- they sure need it.