Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RV / Motorhome

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

RV / Motorhome

Curious question after a random discussion today...

Can a military member live full-time in an RV or Motorhome, assuming its legally parked? (RV park, campground, trailer park, etc). If so, are they still entitled to BAH? Is it considered an address?

I've known Airman that lived in their vehicles or slept at homeless shelters trying to pocket BAH, and they got caught. What about RV living like many retired folk do?

Has anyone ever done it, heard of it, or know anyone who has?
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponsTSGT View Post
    This is just a guess.....but I'd be willing to bet that you can't brief the rapeyness out of a person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Swing by any RV camp on base or nearby, and you will find at least one mil member living in his trailer or RV. We just had one retire recently. Lived in the family camp for a few years here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Perfectly legit. They can't ding you for it just look up tiny homes on google basically the same thing. Most fam camps make you move every 30 days though. A couple guys I know use them to have 3-6 months to find a real home when they PCS.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Knew an active duty Chief who spent his entire tour at Base X living out of his motorhome. His wife (also a Chief) and kids lived in their house at Base Y.

Made sense to me.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxc View Post
    Curious question after a random discussion today...

Can a military member live full-time in an RV or Motorhome, assuming its legally parked? (RV park, campground, trailer park, etc). If so, are they still entitled to BAH? Is it considered an address?

I've known Airman that lived in their vehicles or slept at homeless shelters trying to pocket BAH, and they got caught. What about RV living like many retired folk do?

Has anyone ever done it, heard of it, or know anyone who has?
    I'd say yes. How much different is it than living in a mobile home? I had one SSgt who lived in a "Third-Wheel" motor home.

I live next to a retired Navy Captain and his last assignment he left his family here and went to his next base for two years and he bought/lived-in an RV for his two-year assignment.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Have heard of quite a few. Easy way to bank a lot of BAH. I guess if you like money more than you like comfort it's not a bad choice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    I'd say yes. How much different is it than living in a mobile home? I had one SSgt who lived in a "Third-Wheel" motor home.
    Third wheel? LOL. Is that like living with your friend and his wife?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    Knew an active duty Chief who spent his entire tour at Base X living out of his motorhome. His wife (also a Chief) and kids lived in their house at Base Y.

Made sense to me.

Ding, ding, ding!

I, too, have known a Chief that did this. Edit: Except I don't think he was happily married . . ..

It was funny at the unit picnic-type events, since his trailer was right next to the base lake shelter used to host them!
    Back from the bit bucket. Somebody flushed the buffers on me, though . . ..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    You can take the white trash out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the white trash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I only thought about it in passing since its a great idea in some locations and near impossible in others. That being said nearly everywhere has strict limits on how long you can stay so I'm not sure how people pull it off, especially seeing the ones that are doing it in places that clearly define those limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponsTSGT View Post
    This is just a guess.....but I'd be willing to bet that you can't brief the rapeyness out of a person.