Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: RV / Motorhome

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    There used to be a mobile home park on Edwards AFB...and I'm sure several others. It was pretty nice, people maintained their yards and stuff...kid friendly.

    In the early to mid 2000s, the AF ordered all mobile home parks closed...saying that mobile homes were not adequate housing, or something like that. Oh, you could still live in them, just not on base.

    These were really a great thing for some people...first, at Edwards the drive just to get off base is like 20 miles...so you save a small fortune in gas by living on base. Okay, so the residents owned the mobile home and paid a small rental fee each month for the lot, which I believe included utilities, but you still got full BAH since you were not in housing. The mobile homes ranged anywhere from total pieces of crap that had to be destroyed when the park closed because they could not longer be moved...to super nice triple wides that were like $100K. People leaving could sell them to other military members in place...I had considered buying one and looked at several, but in the end opted to buy a house instead.

    I knew one couple that lived in there, was a CMSgt married to a MSgt...both drawing full BAH and banking a ton of money...and their trailer was actually pretty nice.

    Unfortunately for the average single guy living in there, when they closed the park they were forced to move their mobile home...and ended up living in some meth-haven mobile home park off-base that was far less adequate than living on-base. Or they sold it or trashed it and had to move into a more expensive off-base apartment that sucked far worse than having their own little pad on-base.
    What a mess that was when Edwards closed that trailer park. In 2010 I was trying to help a Lt. Col get a claim paid from it. When he filed his original claim TMO/finance disallowed fess for moving his decks and also for new skirting and a few other things. He filed a DOHA claim (Defense Office of Hearings and Appeals) several years later and they ruled in his favor. The problem was Edwards didn't have any more money budgeted to pay the claim.

    I read through his appeal and I definitly agreed with his side of the story. When he tried to move the mobile home there was an influx of mobile homes being moved. If you didn't want to move to a "meth haven" you needed to make your mobile look nice to meet park standards which also increased due to demand. When he made the necessary changes TMO/Finance disallowed them as upgrades whereas he contended they were required in order to move the home. Huge pain in the ass and I get the feeling he wasn't the only one who got screwed. He was just the only person left still fighting the battle like 6 years later.

    TO THE OP: Othe branches seem to have weird requirements for getting BAH. The Air Force doesn't though. If you are not assigned government quarters and are entitled to basic pay then you are entitled to BAH. It doesn't matter where or how you live. It's your money you are free to do whatever you want. The only issue I can think of is an overbearing commander could order someone into the dorms for reasons of "military necessity" if they didn't feel your living arrangements were safe/responsible.
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 06-26-2014 at 07:30 PM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member CYBERFX1024's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, California
    Posts
    615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Marine Corps had a trailer park down at Parris Island for a long time. I went through there in 2002 and they had it there. But when I got stationed there in 2006 they had done away with it due to a Marine Corps initiative to do away with them. The bad thing was that they didn't do anything with that space at all and it was an eye sore. The funny thing was that there was only one trailer there for the longest time until I guess they moved or got out.
    There was talk about making that a visitor RV park for when families come to see their son/daughter graduate from boot camp but nothing came about from it.

  3. #23
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    I remember when that happened and it caused some serious hardship for the troops who lived in them.

    The troops who lived there owned the trailer. The way it worked was, before they PCSed out, they'd sell it to a new buyer. Kinda like a beater car overseas -- you bought one when you got there and sold it to someone else when you left. (FYI, the trailer parks were not the same as a base's RV park -- two separate things.)

    When they announced the closure of the trailer parks, the current occupants were left holding the bag. For them, there would be no incoming buyer to take it off their hands, and what's worse, they had to pay to move their trailer off base.

    I can't recall for sure, but I think the AF allowed the last occupants to get some TMO money, but overall it was a CF.

    I blame Obama.
    This one time, I bought a house at a location I was stationed. Then, after a few years the bastards told me I had to PCS. The gall. So I could either sell the house or bite the bullet and lose money renting it out to someone.

    The housing market was very bad (which is even more reason why I shouldn't have had to PCS) so we were unable to sell, so we rented it out. Lost about $200 a month for 4 years. TMO didn't reimburse ONE FREAKIN' CENT!!!!

    Can you believe it??!!!! I made a choice to purchase a home and knew the consequences of the possible outcomes and STILL they didn't give me the money back. It's almost like the military expects people to act like responsible adults...the bastards.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This one time, I bought a house at a location I was stationed. Then, after a few years the bastards told me I had to PCS. The gall. So I could either sell the house or bite the bullet and lose money renting it out to someone.

    The housing market was very bad (which is even more reason why I shouldn't have had to PCS) so we were unable to sell, so we rented it out. Lost about $200 a month for 4 years. TMO didn't reimburse ONE FREAKIN' CENT!!!!

    Can you believe it??!!!! I made a choice to purchase a home and knew the consequences of the possible outcomes and STILL they didn't give me the money back. It's almost like the military expects people to act like responsible adults...the bastards.
    Entirely different scenario than when they change the rules on you...

  5. #25
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Entirely different scenario than when they change the rules on you...

    There was this one time when I didn't have to mow my lawn on base because it was privatized and the contractors took care of it. Then, it went back to base housing and I had to start mowing my lawn again. They didn't even provide me with a lawnmower...the bastards!!!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    There was this one time when I didn't have to mow my lawn on base because it was privatized and the contractors took care of it. Then, it went back to base housing and I had to start mowing my lawn again. They didn't even provide me with a lawnmower...the bastards!!!
    I don't get the relevance.

    More like, one time you decided to buy a home. You looked at the risks and rewards and decided you'd take the chance...knowing you had a fairly good chance of selling it, but if you didn't, it was a highly desirable rental by a military base.

    Then you got orders to PCS...but then the AF passed a new AFI that said military members could not sell or rent a home to other military members...because the business relationship was potentially tainted by the military ranks involved. So, this effectively eliminated your market.

    yes, you're holding the bag...yes, it was a decision you made...but it sucks.

    The military members bought those mobile homes assuming they'd be allowed to sell them in place as had been done for dozens of years...and they were pretty easy to sell!! Then the rules changed...
    Last edited by Measure Man; 06-26-2014 at 09:07 PM.

  7. #27
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I don't get the relevance.

    More like, one time you decided to buy a home. You looked at the risks and rewards and decided you'd take the chance...knowing you had a fairly good chance of selling it, but if you didn't, it was a highly desirable rental by a military base.

    Then you got orders to PCS...but then the AF passed a new AFI that said military members could not sell or rent a home to other military members...because the business relationship was potentially tainted by the military ranks involved. So, this effectively eliminated your market.

    yes, you're holding the bag...yes, it was a decision you made...but it sucks.

    The military members bought those mobile homes assuming they'd be allowed to sell them in place as had been done for dozens of years...and they were pretty easy to sell!! Then the rules changed...
    I wasn't aware that selling these mobile homes was restricted to buyers on base. I'm sure they could have advertised the home and sold it to a civilian as well.

    I joined the Air Force assuming that I wouldn't be deploying to combat locations and that I would only be away from my family, at most, for 90 days. You know what? The rules changed.

    I joined the Air Force assuming that I'd never have to do anything more physical than riding a stationary bike once a year. Then the rules changed.

    I guess I'm failing to see what the complaint is. I realize that everyone figures that if they are inconvenienced then they are owed something. Those are the times we are living in.

    The only thing to assume in the military is that shit is going to change and you're going to get screwed.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I wasn't aware that selling these mobile homes was restricted to buyers on base. I'm sure they could have advertised the home and sold it to a civilian as well.
    They were located on base. They could only be sold IN PLACE to another military member. Yes, they could be moved and sold, of course, but the location was a big reason why people wanted them.

    It costs thousands to move a mobile home...

    I joined the Air Force assuming that I wouldn't be deploying to combat locations and that I would only be away from my family, at most, for 90 days. You know what? The rules changed.

    I joined the Air Force assuming that I'd never have to do anything more physical than riding a stationary bike once a year. Then the rules changed.

    I guess I'm failing to see what the complaint is. I realize that everyone figures that if they are inconvenienced then they are owed something. Those are the times we are living in.

    The only thing to assume in the military is that shit is going to change and you're going to get screwed.
    Yeah...so these guys got screwed. It's their right to complain about it.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 06-26-2014 at 09:58 PM.

  9. #29
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    They were located on base. They could only be sold IN PLACE to another military member. Yes, they could be moved and sold, of course, but the location was a big reason why people wanted them.

    It costs thousands to move a mobile home...
    I'm sure they saved plenty of money spending $50 a month while getting $2k in BAH. I'm sure they'll be ok.



    Yeah...so these guys got screwed. It's their right to complain about it.
    Not saying they can't complain about it. My issue was the comment about them getting reimbursed...and disagree that they got screwed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •