Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RV / Motorhome

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I appreciate the forum moderators who moved this thread ensuring a swift halt to any further discussion. Much thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponsTSGT View Post
    This is just a guess.....but I'd be willing to bet that you can't brief the rapeyness out of a person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxc View Post
    I only thought about it in passing since its a great idea in some locations and near impossible in others. That being said nearly everywhere has strict limits on how long you can stay so I'm not sure how people pull it off, especially seeing the ones that are doing it in places that clearly define those limits.

Clearly defined limits for use of PAID SPACE are based on being able to make space available to new or additional customers. Somebody who's trying to make money is not going to enforce a maximum stay limit if they have empty slots. No reason to stop income without replacement readily available!

And the guy I was remembering was at Offutt AFB/Omaha, NE. There were (a very few) mornings where I would get up to go to work and the ambient temperature was in the single digits (whether positive or negative) with a 30 mile an hour wind. I'm thinking a small metal trailer was a pretty bad place to be living in that weather!
    Back from the bit bucket. Somebody flushed the buffers on me, though . . ..

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    You can take the white trash out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the white trash.
    Of five Enlisted folk i knew who lived on Gulfport's mobile home area, three were white, and 2 latino. So i wouldn't automatically say all are white trash.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Of five Enlisted folk i knew who lived on Gulfport's mobile home area, three were white, and 2 latino. So i wouldn't automatically say all are white trash.
    Please allow me a random generalization about white people, please. If we don't have that, what do we have?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There used to be a mobile home park on Edwards AFB...and I'm sure several others. It was pretty nice, people maintained their yards and stuff...kid friendly.

In the early to mid 2000s, the AF ordered all mobile home parks closed...saying that mobile homes were not adequate housing, or something like that. Oh, you could still live in them, just not on base.

These were really a great thing for some people...first, at Edwards the drive just to get off base is like 20 miles...so you save a small fortune in gas by living on base. Okay, so the residents owned the mobile home and paid a small rental fee each month for the lot, which I believe included utilities, but you still got full BAH since you were not in housing. The mobile homes ranged anywhere from total pieces of crap that had to be destroyed when the park closed because they could not longer be moved...to super nice triple wides that were like $100K. People leaving could sell them to other military members in place...I had considered buying one and looked at several, but in the end opted to buy a house instead.

I knew one couple that lived in there, was a CMSgt married to a MSgt...both drawing full BAH and banking a ton of money...and their trailer was actually pretty nice.

Unfortunately for the average single guy living in there, when they closed the park they were forced to move their mobile home...and ended up living in some meth-haven mobile home park off-base that was far less adequate than living on-base. Or they sold it or trashed it and had to move into a more expensive off-base apartment that sucked far worse than having their own little pad on-base.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Of the bases i have been on (navy mind you) i remember a nice trailer park area of both Mayport and Norfolk. Gulfport also had one, but i never remembered seeing one in Guam when i was on the Frank Cable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    In the early to mid 2000s, the AF ordered all mobile home parks closed...saying that mobile homes were not adequate housing, or something like that. Oh, you could still live in them, just not on base.
    I think AF closed them cause of "the image" of a trailer park. The one I saw were nice, well maintained (same standards as base housing) and allowed for more freedoms than housing, but the security of living on base.
    Keesler's was near the golf course, around 20 or so homes at its peak. Robins had one near the training area used by the 5th Combat Comm Gp. During one exercise, the winds blew the tear gas into the trailer park.
    At Ft Meade, our first sgt (& wife) lived in camper in the Fam Camp.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    I think AF closed them cause of "the image" of a trailer park.
    Yep...somebody up the chain had a stereotypical idea of "trailer park"...and that "we" should do better by our people. The thing is, all the people living in there were doing so because they wanted to and they loved it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Yep...somebody up the chain had a stereotypical idea of "trailer park"...and that "we" should do better by our people. The thing is, all the people living in there were doing so because they wanted to and they loved it.
    I remember when that happened and it caused some serious hardship for the troops who lived in them.

The troops who lived there owned the trailer. The way it worked was, before they PCSed out, they'd sell it to a new buyer. Kinda like a beater car overseas -- you bought one when you got there and sold it to someone else when you left. (FYI, the trailer parks were not the same as a base's RV park -- two separate things.)

When they announced the closure of the trailer parks, the current occupants were left holding the bag. For them, there would be no incoming buyer to take it off their hands, and what's worse, they had to pay to move their trailer off base.

I can't recall for sure, but I think the AF allowed the last occupants to get some TMO money, but overall it was a CF.

I blame Obama.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    I remember when that happened and it caused some serious hardship for the troops who lived in them.

The troops who lived there owned the trailer. The way it worked was, before they PCSed out, they'd sell it to a new buyer. Kinda like a beater car overseas -- you bought one when you got there and sold it to someone else when you left. (FYI, the trailer parks were not the same as a base's RV park -- two separate things.)

When they announced the closure of the trailer parks, the current occupants were left holding the bag. For them, there would be no incoming buyer to take it off their hands, and what's worse, they had to pay to move their trailer off base.

I can't recall for sure, but I think the AF allowed the last occupants to get some TMO money, but overall it was a CF.

I blame Obama.
    Sucks to have been in the AF then at that locale.