Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7AF/CC Bans Alcohol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Question 7AF/CC Bans Alcohol

So, I see the Commander of Seventh Air Force has banned alcohol (sale & consumption) at Osan this weekend...

Does this type of policy (knee jerk reaction) ever work???
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes and No. When I was there it was like that for a while but typically they do it before exercises. Not sure if this is the case but I would guess that before assuming someone messed up and ruined it for everyone.

It works when the people that can not control their drinking can hopefully see a different side of it and this also gives a break to those who have to baby sit grown adults.

In the sense as well that it doesnt work because the following weekend or when it is allowed again more people will go downtown and drink more to "make up" for the previous weekend causing more stupid things to happen. Korea dry will not last long. Most people will just go to another base and drink or go downtown and drink or one of the other million places.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raider8169 View Post
    Yes and No. When I was there it was like that for a while but typically they do it before exercises. Not sure if this is the case but I would guess that before assuming someone messed up and ruined it for everyone.

It works when the people that can not control their drinking can hopefully see a different side of it and this also gives a break to those who have to baby sit grown adults.

In the sense as well that it doesnt work because the following weekend or when it is allowed again more people will go downtown and drink more to "make up" for the previous weekend causing more stupid things to happen. Korea dry will not last long. Most people will just go to another base and drink or go downtown and drink or one of the other million places.
    What it also does is piss of those who don't actually need a baby sitter and, IMO, makes people act like children.

I know it's a tough concept, but how 'bout you actually punish those who get in trouble and leave those who don't alone?

Our military guys has a "Front line supervisor" training a couple days ago. They were briefed that we, as supervisors/instructors/etc are not allowed to use a group punishment for our students or troops for the mistake of one person. Funny how it only applies at the lower levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I was at the Kun' 08-09 an Airman drank himself to death on Soju in the dorms. So they banned Soju in the dorms. Whiskey, Gin, Vodka, Tequila, Rum, etc ... all fine. We were free to carry on drinkingourselves to death on every other kind of liquor. But no Soju. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I know it's a tough concept, but how 'bout you actually punish those who get in trouble and leave those who don't alone?
    Come on now, you know that'll never happen. "One person shits themselves, everybody has to wear a diaper."

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    When I was at the Kun' 08-09 an Airman drank himself to death on Soju in the dorms. So they banned Soju in the dorms. Whiskey, Gin, Vodka, Tequila, Rum, etc ... all fine. We were free to carry on drinkingourselves to death on every other kind of liquor. But no Soju. Problem solved.
    I can see a commander doing something like that, reacting based on misconceptions.

Soju isn't really that strong, the most popular kinds of Soju are 40 proof or 20 percent alcohol by content.

There are some traditional types of Soju that are 90 proof but they aren't what one normally finds on sale in stores for the cheap price.

It has a mystique about it amongst American troops because of the stories you hear about people getting shit faced downtown, but that isn't because Soju is wickedly strong, it is because people overindulge and binge drink.

The same kind of bullshit rumors are passed around about Absinthe; many people think it is hallucinogenic, it isn't.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The usual move by an incompetent commander...punish everyone for the sake of the few. REAL leadership trusts their people and deals with the exceptions by exception. This apparently doesn't apply to dependents, civilians and contractors. Funny when Mom can have a beer this weekend and Dad can't, even when he's done nothing to merit such a punishment.

I bet this clown's South Korean, Russian, Chinese and Japanese counterparts are privately laughing at him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    So, I see the Commander of Seventh Air Force has banned alcohol (sale & consumption) at Osan this weekend...

No, it's just another OPR bullet, will probably help this clown get a fourth star, won't do anything to maintain combat readiness.

When REAL leadership is needed, US flag officers are politically neutered.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As a seasoned Osan vet (83-85, 89-90, 94-98) I can say I've pretty much seen it all...
    This is reminiscent of the DDD (Dark Days of Doc)...and he ended up w/4 stars. It is truly amazing how many $hitty leaders (O & E) move to the very top positions.

Leaders need to lead by example; demonstrate responsible drinking, respect for others, life/work balance, standing up against stupidity.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And this basically serves as a challenge for some to find ways to sneak/obtain alcohol regardless of the new law of the land.

When will we get a clue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post

It makes the sorry excuse for a leader feel good. Other than that all this kind of reaction does is build animosity in the ranks.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources