Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Single parents: Mom VS Dad

  1. #21
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Yes...every situation is unique, for sure. I just don't like to hear the "it's not fair to take the child while or because the military member deploys, serving the country, etc."...again, it's not about fair, it's about best for the child.



    Yeah...once again, the initial outrage-inducing headline turns out to be not the whole truth.
    Since we seem to be focusing on men, I'll ask this question. Is it any more responsible (for lack of better word) of the mother to get pregnant and have the child knowing the father will be deploying than it is for the father to get the mother pregnant knowing he's deploying?

    Hell, if that's the case we can start arguing about whether it's better to take the kids away from both parents if they both have jobs and have their children raised in daycares.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Since we seem to be focusing on men, I'll ask this question. Is it any more responsible (for lack of better word) of the mother to get pregnant and have the child knowing the father will be deploying than it is for the father to get the mother pregnant knowing he's deploying?
    No, it's the same.

    Hell, if that's the case we can start arguing about whether it's better to take the kids away from both parents if they both have jobs and have their children raised in daycares.
    We can talk about it if you'd like.

    Although, even in the above scenarios, I'm not talking about taking the kids away from both parents, etc. First, I was talking about if all other things being relatively equal...I think the deployment possibilities of one parent should be considered in making a custody decision. Ideally, if the parents would do that themselves...but to often the parents are worried about "not fair to me" rather that "best interest of the child"

    Secondly, I was talking, in particular, about mil-mil couples with children and whether or not one of those parents should separate from the mil.

    But surely, that question can be extended to any military member with children. Again, I'm talking about the parents making the decision, not "taking away the kids." I think there needs to be a whole lot more going on than that to take kids away from their parents.

  3. #23
    Senior Member USN - Retired's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Posts
    702
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    May i ask why you are only harping on military men?
    I might get banned if I say anything negative about women, even if the negative comment about women is totally valid. I was once severely berated by the moderators/censors and then banned from the forum for a week because I questioned the tradition in our culture of giving women an engagement ring.
    Last edited by USN - Retired; 06-24-2014 at 08:14 PM.

  4. #24
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    I might get banned if I say anything negative about women, even if the negative comment about women is totally valid.
    I would offer that it isn't necessarily what you say, but how you say it.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,337
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    I might get banned if I say anything negative about women, even if the negative comment about women is totally valid. I was once severely berated by the moderators/censors and then banned from the forum for a week because I questioned the tradition in our culture of giving women an engagement ring.
    Wow. I know some sites are a little harsh with how moderation is, but didn't thing here was that bad.

  6. #26
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    I might get banned if I say anything negative about women, even if the negative comment about women is totally valid. I was once severely berated by the moderators/censors and then banned from the forum for a week because I questioned the tradition in our culture of giving women an engagement ring.
    What is really surprising is that you were allowed to mention your banning and give the reason for it while complaining about it and it didn't draw another ban. I've seen people banned for simply talking about someone else's ban.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,337
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    What is really surprising is that you were allowed to mention your banning and give the reason for it while complaining about it and it didn't draw another ban. I've seen people banned for simply talking about someone else's ban.
    I've seen that before. On one of my ADND gaming sites, we had 2 people banned for some major flame wars recently, but cause others were making comments on their bans, THEY too got a temp banning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •